Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

Must be fake pics. I heard all was lost for foliage in all of SNE. :whistle:

Some really nice pockets of colors now, especially in the hills.  I would say that we are closing in on a peak within the next few days.  Some of those people two weeks ago calling for a blah season were wrong...it's really come on nicely since then.

12 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I did the drive yesterday to Stafford Springs, really beautiful foliage color along 190 in Stafford and Stafford Springs. Primarily yellow and gold. Better fall color than in my travels in Vermont. I'd say it's peak in that location. Best foliage around here since 2016.

Yeah, it's coming along nicely.  If you're looking for some reds, try Hurds Lake (Camp Aya Po) on Camp Road.  There's some nice reds there.  If you come up Stafford Road to get there, there's some red/orange around Hampden Road.

28 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Yeah, it's coming along nicely.  If you're looking for some reds, try Hurds Lake (Camp Aya Po) on Camp Road.  There's some nice reds there.  If you come up Stafford Road to get there, there's some red/orange around Hampden Road.

Thanks for the information, I'm actually looking for orange, gold and yellow, those are my favorite foliage colors. I'm going back there tomorrow, today was spent driving around NW Connecticut.

46 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Thanks for the information, I'm actually looking for orange, gold and yellow, those are my favorite foliage colors. I'm going back there tomorrow, today was spent driving around NW Connecticut.

How was NW CT? I was up in the Quabbin Reservoir area today in MA, it was decent but a bit inconsistent.  

1 hour ago, CTValleySnowMan said:

How was NW CT? I was up in the Quabbin Reservoir area today in MA, it was decent but a bit inconsistent.  

It was variable, areas of peak color, areas with green foliage and bare areas in higher elevations. The rain and wind a few days ago stripped off some foliage. I was also in SW Massachusetts and the foliage along Route 23 was pretty colorful. The best and most consistent foliage color in two days of driving around was Stafford and Stafford Springs. Really vibrant colors.

With a possible coastal storm next week, the foliage probably won't last much longer. 

5 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

That's the intersection of Route 30 and 74, really difficult to stop there and take a picture. No place safe to stop. Had to pull my car up over the curb.

I see people pull over there a lot in the fall to stop and look or snap pics. That’s also a big area with blowing and drifting snow on the winter 

4 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I see people pull over there a lot in the fall to stop and look or snap pics. That’s also a big area with blowing and drifting snow on the winter 

That's part of the problem with Connecticut foliage. Good color in residential areas, or color in places where it's impossible to stop. + I'm handicapped and slow.

It is finally starting above 4,000ft down here in NC (over a week behind). It looks like peak at the Blue Ridge Parkway elevation near Grandfather Mountain will happen early next week. I just thought it was interesting to compare to New England.

48905773341_02dcafbb75_b.jpg

48905253898_2d5471ed2f_b.jpg

48905253243_485b492cb8_b.jpg

48905260793_1cdaff1f18_b.jpg

• Like 1