Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

1 minute ago, MaineJayhawk said:

Ha!  Well, I wasn't after it right at this moment because this was shortly after sunrise and the train doesn't pass by this spot until nearly 1:00.  However, I did stick around until it came through.  The weather got noticeably shittier! 

850_1285.jpg

Still a nice shot though.  I took that trip again this past August, it doesn't disappoint.

• Like 2

Traveled to Quebec City today.

Foliage is about 50% in the NW Lakes Region of NH.  It increased to peak in Southern Whites and through  Franconia Notch.  Just north of the notch was just past peak.  Most of the NE Kingdom of Vermont had good color, just past peak.  Southern Quebec was at peak except along the St Lawrence River which still had a lot of green.  Quebec City area along the river is not at peak yet.

For those of you that have never been to Quebec City it is worth the drive.  For me in Central NH it is 5 hours about 7 hours from metro Boston.  A beautiful old city,  everyone speaks French and  you really feel you are in France.  The exchange rate is $1 US to about $1.33 Canadian so things are cheap.

Weather was perfect this afternoon.  Sunny skies few Cu, low 60's.  

This is absolute peak right now.  It's almost like the 2" of rainfall the other day reinvigorated it... it just went apeshit today.

The forest was on absolute fire in today's sunshine.

Vermont is hard to beat for foliage.  Today was awe-inspiring to be out hiking around.  It is hard to comprehend that 1,000's of acres of forest can just be bright red and orange.

72750250_10103894474129490_6838398099208

72476563_10103894494957750_7636160885433

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

This is absolute peak right now.  It's almost like the 2" of rainfall the other day reinvigorated it... it just went apeshit today.

The forest was on absolute fire in today's sunshine.

Vermont is hard to beat for foliage.  Today was awe-inspiring to be out hiking around.  It is hard to comprehend that 1,000's of acres of forest can just be bright red and orange.

Had the same observation today. The reds seem to have really popped today, it was simply stunning. My mom who’s been visiting had a similar observation as the yours - she said it’s incredible to have just miles and miles of bright red and orange trees, and with the low clouds and fog banks this morning it really looked like the forest was on fire. 

• Like 1

Just now, alex said:

Had the same observation today. The reds seem to have really popped today, it was simply stunning. My mom who’s been visiting had a similar observation as the yours - she said it’s incredible to have just miles and miles of bright red and orange trees, and with the low clouds and fog banks this morning it really looked like the forest was on fire. 

Yes!  The reds man.  From almost a purple/red mix to just bright orange/red... the red color really seemed to go into overdrive over the last 48 hours.

uWdvjI1.jpg

• Like 1

14 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Yes!  The reds man.  From almost a purple/red mix to just bright orange/red... the red color really seemed to go into overdrive over the last 48 hours.

uWdvjI1.jpg

Beautiful.  Saw some electric reds and oranges the past 2 days, Monday driving to Orono and yesterday in the woods around Bigelow Mt.

See I almost think today already looks just slightly less “holy shit wow” than it did yesterday.  I think the sunlight and crisp air mass with no haze at all really made it that much better.  High clouds today and slightly less direct sunlight, but still looks a bit tamer than it did yesterday.  

Crazy how the color ebbs and flows.

Just back from a quick trip up to Quebec City.

Wow for NNE and Southern Quebec.  Beautiful peak in the Whites and much of N VT all through the St Lawrence River Valley.  Geraniums, marigolds and other annuals still in bloom in the city which of course is near the St Lawrence.   I wish others could have taken the trip with us, just hours and hours of bright color.

Peak seems to now be below 2500 feet in Franconia Notch.  No wind the past couple of days so little blow down of leaves.  Since we will not get much wind from the coastal Central NH is quickly becoming very colorful.  About 50% in my area.

Although it was cloudy by the time we got south into Franconia Notch it was still beautiful

Franconia Notch.jpg

6 hours ago, powderfreak said:

See I almost think today already looks just slightly less “holy shit wow” than it did yesterday.  I think the sunlight and crisp air mass with no haze at all really made it that much better.  High clouds today and slightly less direct sunlight, but still looks a bit tamer than it did yesterday.  

Crazy how the color ebbs and flows.

LOL, I was thinking the opposite. Granted I’m in town not up where you are. 

5 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Great pics guys. Even down here on I-93 the colors have really popped. 

Seems as though the foliage in the Merrimack Valley area  is 7-10 days ahead of schedule. One tree in my yard is about 3 weeks ahead of schedule. That tree usually doesn't begin to even turn color until early Nov. 

• Haha 1

Even though I couldn't make it up there this year (getting married this weekend), I am enjoying all the photos! I am going to try and get to the Linn Cove Viaduct along the Blue Ridge Parkway this Tue for a few shots and aerials. It passes right by Grandfather Mountain where the summit elevation is 5,945 feet (A lot of people find themselves surprised by the climate and harsh weather that can occur up there for being so far south). I am hoping to find a scene like the one below (Not this year and not my photo):
gallery-linn-cove-viaduct-in-fall.jpg

7 hours ago, eyewall said:

Even though I couldn't make it up there this year (getting married this weekend), I am enjoying all the photos! I am going to try and get to the Linn Cove Viaduct along the Blue Ridge Parkway this Tue for a few shots and aerials. It passes right by Grandfather Mountain where the summit elevation is 5,945 feet (A lot of people find themselves surprised by the climate and harsh weather that can occur up there for being so far south). I am hoping to find a scene like the one below (Not this year and not my photo):
gallery-linn-cove-viaduct-in-fall.jpg

Congrats!  VT honeymoon?