• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

Things must have really changed fast this past week since Alex's pic's on the Kanc show great color.  Franconia Notch was so green last Friday.  Columbus weekend comes very late this year so most of the peak will be gone in the mountains especially if we get a heavy rain event on Monday.   Next week looks to have peak in my area of Central NH.   GFS has a fropa next weekend with more rain to screw up Columbus weekend.  That will take down more leaves.  

Does anyone know how busy it is going through Franconia Notch on a peak color weekend?   Is it stop and go or does it move along.  Probably worth a 40 minute ride up

11 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Things must have really changed fast this past week since Alex's pic's on the Kanc show great color.  Franconia Notch was so green last Friday.  Columbus weekend comes very late this year so most of the peak will be gone in the mountains especially if we get a heavy rain event on Monday.   Next week looks to have peak in my area of Central NH.   GFS has a fropa next weekend with more rain to screw up Columbus weekend.  That will take down more leaves.  

Does anyone know how busy it is going through Franconia Notch on a peak color weekend?   Is it stop and go or does it move along.  Probably worth a 40 minute ride up

North Conway was crazy packed last weekend. Probably another big tourist weekend coming up again. 

7 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

North Conway was crazy packed last weekend. Probably another big tourist weekend coming up again. 

It was hoping

the line for Breakfast atPeaches was looong

Folliage at Bretton Woods and By the auto road in Pinkham north was beautiful and a different world than Jackson or Lower Crawford Notch area

2 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

The Notch is not too bad. It's the Kanc that's out of control. But the notch doesn't really get great colors, there's not a lot of maples, mostly beech

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Fozz said:

I'm going north this weekend. I've never seen northern New England fall foliage before, so it seems this weekend will easily be the best opportunity for that.

Go for it. The Kancamangus highway that Wxeye was speaking of, will be busy, but likely beautiful. It's a 30 miles stretch of road that goes up to 2800' or so. It connects I-93 Lincoln NH areas to Conway. Anywhere up there into adjacent VT and Maine will look awesome. 

Even down here, noticing rapid increase in color change. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fozz said:

I'm going north this weekend. I've never seen northern New England fall foliage before, so it seems this weekend will easily be the best opportunity for that.

I would also look for secondary roads and get off the beaten path.  Just about any state highway can take you through some scenic areas.  Pick up a state map at the welcome center.

In a couple of weeks you should explore northern Rhode Island and northeastern CT.  There's a reason why it's called the Quiet Corner and "The Last Green Mile".  It's right in your new backyard which is a bonus...

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

This weekend is going to be insane, ha.  

And beyond.  One of the forest certification auditors was unable to book a room in Farmington for Oct. 15-18 because all the lodging was already full - he'll be commuting daily from Augusta..  There's not a huge bedroom resource but it's a college town so there's more than might be expected from a community of its size.

High to peak on Mile Hill in our town, and 75%+ leaf drop on neighborhood ash species.  Overall leaf drop is about 1/3.

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

And beyond.  One of the forest certification auditors was unable to book a room in Farmington for Oct. 15-18 because all the lodging was already full - he'll be commuting daily from Augusta..  There's not a huge bedroom resource but it's a college town so there's more than might be expected from a community of its size.

High to peak on Mile Hill in our town, and 75%+ leaf drop on neighborhood ash species.  Overall leaf drop is about 1/3.

IMG_20191004_132337.jpg

Wish the winds were not so gusty today. Quite a bit of falling leaves in my area and I'm not near peak.  Must have taken down a lot of peak color at elevation exposed to wind.  The snow really never materialized in the higher Whites either.  I'm sure the colors will still be very good this weekend but it could have worked out better.    

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2019 at 8:10 AM, CoastalWx said:

Go for it. The Kancamangus highway that Wxeye was speaking of, will be busy, but likely beautiful. It's a 30 miles stretch of road that goes up to 2800' or so. It connects I-93 Lincoln NH areas to Conway. Anywhere up there into adjacent VT and Maine will look awesome. 

Even down here, noticing rapid increase in color change. 

Just don't be headed down the west side toward Lincoln when the leaf peeper chair is closing at Loon.  Many years ago we hit that on the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend and spent 2 hours coasting 7 miles until we passed the ski area.  (A beautiful day in the 70s at full color, we had no time constraint, so just put the car in neutral and enjoyed the view.)

5 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Just don't be headed down the west side toward Lincoln when the leaf peeper chair is closing at Loon.  Many years ago we hit that on the Saturday of Columbus Day weekend and spent 2 hours coasting 7 miles until we passed the ski area.  (A beautiful day in the 70s at full color, we had no time constraint, so just put the car in neutral and enjoyed the view.)

Even on 93 it can be stop and go before the exit. Like Metherb said, many times you can find lots of side roads that have plenty of color. 

4 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

You have to post the photo of the Conway Scenic you were after!  

Ha!  Well, I wasn't after it right at this moment because this was shortly after sunrise and the train doesn't pass by this spot until nearly 1:00.  However, I did stick around until it came through.  The weather got noticeably shittier! 

850_1285.jpg

• Like 1