Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

6 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

AWT... bad year in SNE. Just admit, accept and move on

I remember a lot of that growing up in the Hudson Valley... orange mixed with brown...yellow mixed with brown. 

Some great colors to be sure, but I do remember more of what you guys like Hoth just said... brownish tint to a lot of color.  I've never had that feeling up north here where the foliage had a lot of brown in it.  I think it was the oaks that love to turn brown and die off?  Suburbia had a lot of oaks.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I remember a lot of that growing up in the Hudson Valley... orange mixed with brown...yellow mixed with brown. 

Some great colors to be sure, but I do remember more of what you guys like Hoth just said... brownish tint to a lot of color.  I've never had that feeling up north here where the foliage had a lot of brown in it.  I think it was the oaks that love to turn brown and die off?  Suburbia had a lot of oaks in my day.

It’s odd with no drought. Really ideal perfect September conditions month long. It’s gotta be the wet cool spring and early summer. Too wet 

Just now, Damage In Tolland said:

It’s odd with no drought. Really ideal perfect September conditions month long. It’s gotta be the wet cool spring and early summer. Too wet 

I have no idea on conditions to produce great foliage... I know there's some solid logic and science to certain environmental factors that cause good foliage, but every single year is different. 

I'm waiting a couple of weeks to pass judgement.  There's certainly some maples/trees that aren't great but there's certainly a lot of others that are bright and colorful.  Just this morning I noted several on my drive into work.  Right in my yard I have maple with nice red leaves.  It's half bare now but still nice color.  I hope to go out this weekend and try and do some photography for my YouTube channel and I'll share some here.

Nice color up here from the ash, maples, and birches. Swamp maples are losing leaves and the red maples I've seen seem to be a hair ahead of the sugars. Honeylocust are fairly yellow too. The oaks are showing some hints of color, but nothing big. Haven't really seen any brown leaves here.

25 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Snow tonight in the high Whites.  Near peak foliage this weekend.   With blue skies, could be an epic weekend for the leaf peepers.  

Yeah, it looks like the Whites are easily into the snow above 5,000’, and anything that falls should stick around reasonably for pictures over the weekend based on the forecast.  It doesn’t look like the snow is going anywhere with those Friday night temperatures:

Tonight

Snow, mainly after 8pm. Low around 25. Windy, with a southwest wind 20 to 25 mph increasing to 25 to 30 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

Friday

Snow likely, mainly before 7am. Cloudy, then gradually becoming mostly sunny, with a high near 29. Very windy, with a northwest wind 35 to 40 mph increasing to 40 to 45 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.

Friday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 19. Wind chill values as low as -1. Very windy, with a northwest wind 45 to 50 mph decreasing to 40 to 45 mph after midnight. Winds could gust as high as 65 mph.

Saturday

Sunny, with a high near 37. Windy, with a northwest wind 30 to 35 mph decreasing to 25 to 30 mph in the afternoon.

Saturday Night

Mostly clear, with a low around 29. Windy.

Sunday

A 30 percent chance of showers. Partly sunny, with a high near 45. Windy.

Accumulations could get down to 3,000’ or even below based on the forecast.  Over here in the Greens any accumulations would probably be more minimal, but the temperatures are around the freezing mark and there’s moisture, so the potential is there.

Western slopes of Greens and Eastern slopes of Taconics have really lit up over past few days from my valley view point.  Lots of reds and oranges popping out.   Saturday is looking nice, so should be a good show for those coming in for the weekend.

IMO, already several notches better than last year ever was.