Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

5 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

It was wild to be sweating it out in near 90 degree heat at a wedding with brown foliage halfway up the hills around Beacon, NY.

The only thing I can think of is maybe it was too wet during the early/ mid summer. All trees seem to have a fungus. Oh well. Maybe next year there’ll be color 

Just now, Sugarloaf1989 said:

It looks nice, that area up to Jay has had consistently good foliage color since 2016. Not so much in the rest of Central and Southern New England.

Yeah it's true.  I've never had a foliage season in a decade in Stowe that I felt was "poor" or lackluster.

It's always vibrant.  I don't know if its the more consistent rains from orographics or the type of tree species and better species diversity compared to the Adirondacks and Whites.... but I never feel like a foliage season isn't working out as expected.  There are always high expectations and it seems to happen that way every year.

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah it's true.  I've never had a foliage season in a decade in Stowe that I felt was "poor" or lackluster.

It's always vibrant.  I don't know if its the more consistent rains from orographics or the type of tree species and better species diversity compared to the Adirondacks and Whites.... but I never feel like a foliage season isn't working out as expected.  There are always high expectations and it seems to happen that way every year.

I think it's climate change starting to have a negative effect on the foliage. You guys are escaping some of the late season heat and humidity we had the last few Summer and Fall periods. At least to a lesser degree.  Last October the foliage wasn't great until north of I91/I-89. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The only thing I can think of is maybe it was too wet during the early/ mid summer. All trees seem to have a fungus. Oh well. Maybe next year there’ll be color 

There will be/is color this year.  I agree that it's muted but there are certainly some bright colors in places and there are several weeks to go.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

I think just about every year goes the same way with me. I’ll look around and think it seems duller than usual and then one day everything goes boom!  The foliage gets as vibrant as ever. This year I thought it was good early but that we have had some early leaf drop which has toned it down a bit. There is still some green out there too. I was in the Corinth/Topsham/Orange area today and there was some very vibrant views. 

Was so nice hiking along the trail on the six mile road to the cog railway Saturday pm before the rain and clouds . About 1700-1800’ and the leaves were gently falling in the woods with little wind gusts and temps in upper 60’s. Felt amazing .

There was color on the Kanc just higher above the hair pin turn in the adjacent hillside and on the next little stop higher up that faces same direction. That was the two best pockets by far . Right around 1800-2k

34 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

NEK today from the VT foliage forum:

48822460697_693e49066e_c.jpg

I was in Nebraska Notch area of Stowe today and the Lake Mansfield Trout Club....wow that whole area was real vivid.  

My wife was getting very frustrated that her iPhone 10 couldn’t accurately depict the vivid colors (I was shocked at how bad the color was on her phone photos, lesson learned cell phones not good at showing real life color), but luckily I had my 7D with me as always.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I was in Nebraska Notch area of Stowe today and the Lake Mansfield Trout Club....wow that whole area was real vivid.  

My wife was getting very frustrated that her iPhone 10 couldn’t accurately depict the vivid colors (I was shocked at how bad the color was on her phone photos, lesson learned cell phones not good at showing real life color), but luckily I had my 7D with me as always.

Thats how it was for my son and I last year at Burke for peak foliage. Just beautiful, but no pictures would be good enough. I'm planning on being at Killington on Saturday. Hopefully still peak after the rain.

54 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I have the same issue with iPhone 10. I look at the hills and I'm like - man that's gorgeous. Then I take a picture and it looks like the foliage from 3 weeks ago. I'd love to understand why, I thought it was supposed to be a great camera

37 minutes ago, alex said:

I have the same issue with iPhone 10. I look at the hills and I'm like - man that's gorgeous. Then I take a picture and it looks like the foliage from 3 weeks ago. I'd love to understand why, I thought it was supposed to be a great camera

No idea but to me, most cameras do not capture fall foliage accurately.  They can't figure out the vibrant colors and widely different colors.  Everything tends to blend to a muted look.

I posted above a comparison of my iPhone's version vs Canon's version. 

All I know is at the ski area, just like my wife's frustration today, the vast majority of guests visiting and taking photos of the foliage end up taking a bunch of photos and then say "wow, my camera just can't do this justice.  It looks so mundane when in real life it is magical."

26 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

No idea but to me, most cameras do not capture fall foliage accurately.  They can't figure out the vibrant colors and widely different colors.  Everything tends to blend to a muted look.

All I know is at the ski area, just like my wife's frustration today, the vast majority of guests visiting and taking photos of the foliage end up taking a bunch of photos and then say "wow, my camera just can't do this justice.  It looks so mundane when in real life it is magical."

Works for us in the tourism industry. The message is... Just come see it. :P

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

It's because of the JPG algorithm.  Your camera has to make a decision on which colors to keep or discard to compress the image.  Your Canon is capable of capturing a "raw" image which has all of the colors but you need an editor to adjust them.  Alternatively, if you phone can do HDR images, the result would be similar without the editing.  See if you have that setting and then try taking some pictures and if that improves the color saturation that you're looking for.

FWIW, You'll get better pictures from your Canon because it has a larger sensor and better lens.

Foliage season in W MA  is going to be a quick peek here me thanks.  Tons of leathery green here right now with pockets of color.    I’m a little worried that some of my favorite places are fairly muted and already losing leaves. 

I think the dry August probably took it’s toll but it’s all good there will still be some decent color I hope.  A wind driven rain storm would be the wildcard that screws us.