Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fall Foliage 2019

CapturedNature

On 9/27/2019 at 5:16 PM, wxeyeNH said:

Loaded up the ebikes and headed north on this beautiful day.  Foliage is around 10-15% in Central NH.  Even in Franconia Notch as you can see it was still mostly green.  Color increases rapidly north of there.  

20190927_151303.jpg

I went to the Flume today. Franconia Notch is way behind. That said, I think foliage in Franconia Notch sucks in general. Too many beech trees. It's never that great

Took a ride to W. Leb, NH today. Down VT RT. 14 to East Randolph and then over the mountain to VT Rt. 110 through Chelsea and Tunbridge. Quintessential Vermont valleys and generally a very scenic ride any time of year.  To me, it was a bit dull and seemed brighter before the last couple of rain events. It seems like we lost some leaves to the rain and wind. 

6 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Peak foliage color yesterday in Southern Vermont. I've never seen that before in late September. It's going to be an early end to the foliage season in most of Vermont.

SR713.jpg

Stratton.jpg

SR711.jpg

SR712.jpg

If this is peak, then pretty disappointing season, was up at an event near Stratton yesterday, didnt really wow me.  Let's see what happens over next week or so.  Been pretty dry here in Sept.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, backedgeapproaching said:

If this is peak, then pretty disappointing season, was up at an event near Stratton yesterday, didnt really wow me.  Let's see what happens over next week or so.  Been pretty dry here in Sept.

The color seemed fine to me, much better than last year. It's not going to improve, only start going bare.

• Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

The color seemed fine to me, much better than last year. It's not going to improve, only start going bare.

Last year was awful, so not hard to beat it. 

It's interesting how different years can be, 2017 I have pics from Oct 21 with almost high color in spots around here. '15, '16, '17 much better color IMO.

4 minutes ago, backedgeapproaching said:

Last year was awful, so not hard to beat it. 

It's interesting how different years can be, 2017 I have pics from Oct 21 with almost high color in spots around here. '15, '16, '17 much better color IMO.

Last year had beautiful foliage from the NEK down to Killington and lousy south of there. The weather was just awful though with persistent rain and cloudiness.

3 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I was up in N NH yesterday

bjg change when you go north of Jackson and reach Wildcat color really begins popping, the Mount Washington Auto road forest looks great and across the road is very good. 

Bretton Woods is popping very nicely as well .

Kancamangus was underwhelming . Go north was near peak 

I have to post some pictures but I was up in northern Maine and Quebec and drove south from there.  It was interesting to see the color change and was surprised and how underwhelming the Kanc was too after having driving down from central Quebec and Rte 3 from the tip of NH.  It was as if everything north of there had good bright colors but south of there it was more muted for the most part.  There's still some pockets of decent bright colors but lots of muted colors.

58 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Drove through your 'hood this weekend on the way to the Hudson Valley and it's all very orange/brown. 

There's decent pockets off the Interstate but like I said in my comment above it's interesting how I encountered that same effect all the way from the White Mountains south earlier in the week.

3 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

My 20 year average is peak is 10/14 here.  We do tend to run about 7-10 days ahead of the valley.

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

My 20 year average is peak is 10/14 here.  We do tend to run about 7-10 days ahead of the valley.

It's around 10/23 here in Enfield, was Columbus Day when I lived in Coventry.  No way I would call the season on September 29th. It's about 95% green here.  Last year had late developing color in Enfield. MA and S. VT  had poor quality foliage color from start to finish.

4 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I have to post some pictures but I was up in northern Maine and Quebec and drove south from there.  It was interesting to see the color change and was surprised and how underwhelming the Kanc was too after having driving down from central Quebec and Rte 3 from the tip of NH.  It was as if everything north of there had good bright colors but south of there it was more muted for the most part.  There's still some pockets of decent bright colors but lots of muted colors.

There's decent pockets off the Interstate but like I said in my comment above it's interesting how I encountered that same effect all the way from the White Mountains south earlier in the week.

We actually have a lot of trees locally dumping their leaves already without much of a splash of color. My streets trees have given up most of their leaves now, but they did have a good initial burst of red before fading quickly.

2 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

It's around 10/23 here in Enfield, was Columbus Day when I lived in Coventry.  No way I would call the season on September 29th. It's about 95% green here.  Last year had late developing color in Enfield. MA and S. VT  had poor quality foliage color from start to finish.

I agree about calling a season before it's over.  Last year was strange if you recall.  August ended cool and September started cool which kicked off an early change in some species.  Others didn't respond and when the warmer weather came they just hung on so there were almost like two  "peaks".  One for the early turners and then for the late turners.

5 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

I agree about calling a season before it's over.  Last year was strange if you recall.  August ended cool and September started cool which kicked off an early change in some species.  Others didn't respond and when the warmer weather came they just hung on so there were almost like two  "peaks".  One for the early turners and then for the late turners.

I'm just hoping for better weather this October, last year was persistently cloudy with lots of rain/wind. I only got two sunny days in Vermont. The last year that I can remember with good quality foliage in all of New England was 2016.