• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    NJRunner
    Newest Member
    NJRunner

Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

3 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I must be pretty low than. Because I love cruising. And it is still the best value in a vacation you can get.

it’s no strip club, though.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I must be pretty low than. Because I love cruising. And it is still the best value in a vacation you can get.

Also depends on your departure port. A cruise out of Manhattan (even on a mainstream line like NCL) gets you a different crowd than, say, NOLA. (And yes I’ve done both, recently.)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, thess said:

Also depends on your departure port. A cruise out of Manhattan (even on a mainstream line like NCL) gets you a different crowd than, say, NOLA. (And yes I’ve done both, recently.)

Which is the better experience?

Just now, thess said:

The line matters a ton too. When we were younger we did Carnival, Royal and NCL a lot. Whichever was cheaper. And yes. Some of those cruises were shit shows. We have since moved on to Celebrity and it is just much more laid back. Anyway. Dont want to hijack the thread.

• Like 1

Just now, hazwoper said:

Which is the better experience?

Totally depends on what type of people you feel more comfortable around. Which will lead me into regional and demographic stereotypes, and no good will come of that. :)

I preferred the Escape out of Manhattan over the Breakaway out of NOLA in all aspects (ship, port, fellow passengers). But it seems like I got lucky and my commute from LGA to the port was pretty painless, so that helped. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Josh's career peaked back when he was regularly posting here, but he's still making a pretty decent living for himself.

Josh's money comes from his digital marketing business. He didn't get into chasing for the money. The new show probably just finally covered all the crazy plane tickets/hotels/cars/equipment he's purchased over the years so he could chase at a moment's notice.

35 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

O.M.G.

Spoon-feed me. I don’t know where you’re going  

The only conversation I saw (I believe in the storm watch thread) around it was the posts talking about the fleet of small satellites to peer around clouds. Which seemed to me like an actual attempt to argue it was post-hurricane satellite imagery rather than an inundation map estimated based on surge, which is what it appears to be. I easily could have missed the sarcasm - but if they are being sarcastic about it then I assume someone earlier was arguing it was post-hurricane satellite imagery (laid over a mapped previous satellite imagery)  

EDIT:   I’ll add, yes I’m aware of radar in imagery - but the image I saw in the other thread wasn’t that. It was an inundation map based on elevation inputs and an input water height. I suppose you could argue radar imaging is all rendered anyway. But this didn’t even look that specific. 

13 minutes ago, TennTradition said:

@hazwoper

Is this the actual image?

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2204233001

I’ll buy this is advanced satellite imagery. The other satellite image looks rendered based on this. The water seemed much more uniform in color on the CNN clip. 

Alright - going to quote to go full-circle. Watched the CNN clip again and it still looked fully rendered over previous satellite imagery (basically an inundation map I would generate using GIS software)  

But then I pulled up the article and pulled up the same images and could actually see then that the video was playing tricks on me with regard to the detail I thought I was seeing in the image. 

I can see the base image is the same radar-imaged view. 

3 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Yes that is it.  Only it included streets based on mapping 

Thanks - see above post. I figured out what I was ‘seeing’. 

It is amazing the age we are entering into regarding the cost of satellites and their resulting proliferation. 

Basically the data is now unlimited and the  effort lies in data analysis and imagination to try to figure out how to make use of it. 

One of the more interesting combinations I’ve seen is using car counting algorithms to track various companies’ (like retail) activity/sales in advance of earnings returns to allow for investing strategies. Then, pairing this with cell phone tracking to understand the zip codes the shoppers are returning to and the demographics of those zip codes  

Or, estimating oil storage inventory in floating roof tanks by measuring the area of the ellipse formed on the roof by the sun’s shadow and then rolling this up to regional and global storage trends. 

It’s a brave new world. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Here is the company that produced the image

https://www.iceye.com/

there is also this

https://apple.news/A86UqJLtuOMmtNpqUj8_4fg

It’s surprising there isn’t more flooding in some of the more southern areas of Abaco. Must be elevation but I assumed it was low and thus why there wasn’t any development (much like the east side of Grand Bahama)

I will say one thing regarding overdevelopment - that was a valid point with all the concrete and flooding. I moved to the Houston area in 2005 and I’ve lost count of the number of 100, 500, 1,000 & “unprecedented” floods we have gotten over the last 14 years. It’s become routine for any major rain event to break some sort of record.

1 hour ago, Orangeburgwx said:

You ghosted the chat like a HP to a southeast snowstorm going to Suppression City, Cuba

Cuba? More like Brazil. :tomato: I bring the mojo. :weight_lift: Bring on the SNOWCANE!!!!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, thess said:

When it gets this quiet I assume that the storm is pretty much over. (Non met lurker.) But this seems abnormally quiet, no post mortem or anything. Maybe people have storm fatigue, maybe they’ve peeled off to other sites, no idea. If this was a southeastern possible snowstorm, people would be screaming at each other and posting desperate low-tier models left and right. :)

I notice after a huge severe weather event or something insane tornado wise there is often no post mortem and things carry on as if nothing happened. If a large severe weather day ended up doing absolutely nothing at all no one will post about how and why it failed but rather there simply won't be any posts and no analysis.

13 minutes ago, lilj4425 said:

Cuba? More like Brazil. :tomato: I bring the mojo. :weight_lift: Bring on the SNOWCANE!!!!

Are you MAD?? It's still Summer. TOO EARLY TO BRING THE MOJO FOR A SNOWACANE. (even for you)

Wait to bring that S#!& in Dec at least. Not NOW. This ain't Canada.

4 hours ago, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Are you MAD?? It's still Summer. TOO EARLY TO BRING THE MOJO FOR A SNOWACANE. (even for you)

Wait to bring that S#!& in Dec at least. Not NOW. This ain't Canada.

But you love Canada. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, jasons said:

Josh's money comes from his digital marketing business. He didn't get into chasing for the money. The new show probably just finally covered all the crazy plane tickets/hotels/cars/equipment he's purchased over the years so he could chase at a moment's notice.

My post was tongue-in-cheek anyway. 

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

it’s the wal mart of vacations.  

8 hours ago, thess said:

the expansion of ports where people can drive to just expands the reach to cheap degenerates.  Now the trash that couldn’t afford plane tickets to Ft lauderdale can drive an hour to their closest port to board these slave ships.