Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

30 minutes ago, ct_yankee said:

So, does anybody still believe that the NWS/NOAA would never ever let politics dictate a weather statement, as was being professed on this board a few days ago?

To be clear, I didn't think so then... But now? It's just f'n pathetic.

Again NO for the nws. The higher up appointees. Those who must kiss the ring yes, at least in the current banana republic. Under a normal president of any party no. 

• Like 1

From Bastardi a couple of days ago

Now I get it, .@realDonaldTrump   By insisting he is right on this hurricane matter,is simply exposing the bigger picture that goes on with climate alarmists who keep pushing models that are grossly overwarmed  and insisting they are right. See if .@limbaugh  agrees

What do you do if you are talented meteorologist with a thirst for fame and fortune that runs counter to the quiet, dependable, sturdy professionalism that largely defines and populates your occupation?  You could go into television broadcasting but you feel those 5 minutes of reciting daytime highs is unworthy of the science to which you have devoted your life.     The logical pursuit would be "private practice" but you are faced with a major business problem -- the lack of product differentation.    Your prognostication skills cannot be meaningfully distinguished from hundreds of others no less skilled who analyze and offer it all "for free."

Then it hits you.    You market and package your meteorological skills with ideological branding.  You serve your fare of with a heaping side dish of climate change mockery and skepticism.   People and media begin to take note and suddenly a proliferation of companies sign onto your service because even though the analysis being consumed is not really better, it just tastes better feeding their insatiable demand for cognitive bias and motivated reasoning.  And make sure your twitter account is sprinkled liberally with perspective that lets everyone know where you stand politically on issues that have nothing to do with weather.

But you still have a problem.    There is the omnipresent danger that all those clients paying so much money might discover the fact that you have not really cornered the market on meteorological insight.  Therefore it is imperative you embark routine smear campaigns of your government "competition".  You build mountains of strawman arguments, attribute all manner of claims to anonymous individuals  ("they said"),  falsely claim insights you only you offered but others "missed," and conveniently ignore those tweets and other moments when things didn't quite work out the way you expected them to. 

Bastardi. The trumpification of meteorological science
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

I'm ashamed of NOAA for throwing their NWS colleagues under the bus.  President Trump exhibits a severe narcissistic personality disorder with an ego that refuses to let him admit he is human and can make a mistake.  This disorder can explain all of his tweets, discounts of others, and love of adjectives like great, wonderful, best, superb, etc.  "I alone can fix it." The behavior is putting our country at risk.  I'm also ashamed of many of my professional psychological and mental health colleagues for refusing to highlight this disorder for what it is.  They don't do so because of what is known as the "Goldwater rule," which essentially affirms that unless you have personally examined a client you cannot make a formal diagnosis.  Trump's actions and tweets are a matter of public record.  And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.

• Like 4

I'm ashamed of NOAA for throwing their NWS colleagues under the bus.  President Trump exhibits a severe narcissistic personality disorder with an ego that refuses to let him admit he is human and can make a mistake.  This disorder can explain all of his tweets, discounts of others, and love of adjectives like great, wonderful, best, superb, etc.  "I alone can fix it." The behavior is putting our country at risk.  I'm also ashamed of many of my professional psychological and mental health colleagues for refusing to highlight this disorder for what it is.  They don't do so because of what is known as the "Goldwater rule," which essentially affirms that unless you have personally examined a client you cannot make a formal diagnosis.  Trump's actions and tweets are a matter of public record.  And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.

I can assure you that the overwhelming majority of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration does NOT support that ridiculous statement by that anonymous puppet, whomever, who was clearly dancing at the strings of their boss. I'm not even going to begin to show my disgust about the situation as I have refrained up until this point. 

Keep in mind there still is not a formal director of NOAA at this point, as Trump's really bad nomination has yet to be confirmed. Hard to imagine even the interim taking such action. I'm sure the Dept. of Commerce head was happy to oblige. Embarrassing.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Indystorm said:

And now for an agency like NOAA to put politics ahead of science is infuriating.

I'm ashamed that NOAA AND By extension, the NWS, were in fact LIEING too the General Public,  about Wind *Gust(s)* here in Wilmington/Carolina Beach & Federal Point areas.. ..

I'm Ashamed that NOAA tossed their .10 cents into the Ring of Global Warming Hoax, "Climate Change" debacle.. 

YES TRUMP was Right ..

Am I defending the President? NO though HE was in fact,, RIGHT, Get over it..  

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 3

42 minutes ago, SENC said:

I'm ashamed that NOAA AND By extension, the NWS, were in fact LIEING too the General Public,  about Wind *Gust(s)* here in Wilmington/Carolina Beach & Federal Point areas.. ..

I'm Ashamed that NOAA tossed their .10 cents into the Ring of Global Warming Hoax, "Climate Change" debacle.. 

YES TRUMP was Right ..

You need to back this up.  I'm waiting.

1 hour ago, SENC said:

YES TRUMP was Right ..

*Lying

4 hours ago, SENC said:

YES TRUMP was Right ..

3 hours ago, Sidewinder said:

CNN mentioned Alabama. I don't see them being attacked relentlessly. Why? 

It's as if somebody spiked these peoples' drinks.

Absolutely mind-blowing.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, SENC said:

YES TRUMP was Right ..

Sorry about your brain worms, get well soon

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/noaa-staff-warned-in-sept-1-directive-against-contradicting-trump/2019/09/07/12a52d1a-d18f-11e9-87fa-8501a456c003_story.html

“This is the first time I’ve felt pressure from above to not say what truly is the forecast,” the meteorologist said. “It’s hard for me to wrap my head around. One of the things we train on is to dispel inaccurate rumors and ultimately that is what was occurring — ultimately what the Alabama office did is provide a forecast with their tweet, that is what they get paid to do.”

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'll chime in about Sharpiegate (since, ironically, I can't talk politics on my own forum, but I think it's best that way) -- 

I'm an Independent and I lean Libertarian. I think it's fair to say most of the media has been out to get Trump since day one. It's no secret they cannot stand him. Justifiable? Yes. He brings it on himself with his combative style, idiotic comments and constant tweetstorm. But let's call a spade a spade -- anything to make him look bad goes into overdrive. Especially outlets like CNN. But that's another topic for another forum.

Sharpiegate is a new low for Trump. As someone who has been committed to delivering accurate and scientific information to the public, and always preaching the mantra of "When in doubt, follow the official guidance from the NHC" - this is enraging. Meteorologists and Emergency Management Officials have it tough enough as it is, cutting through the BS and dealing with old-timers who always refuse to evacuate, regardless of the situation. But now that Trump has turned a scientific discussion into a political one -- it's going to be that much harder.

The undermining of the NWS and the NHC is unforgivable. James Spann - whom I deeply respect - is exactly right. This tweet by an 'unidentified spokesperson' at NOAA is nothing but a political sham. It was ordered by Trump to his Secretary of Commerce to 'set the story straight.' It's disgusting; it's beyond the pale.

I have relatives who are die-hard Trump supporters. I have tried my best to use this example to show them once and for all that this man cares for his reputation above all else, even peoples' lives and safety. This is dangerous and unprecedented. Yet, they still rebuff my criticism, even though I'm a co-owner of Storm2k and have at least 10X the meteorological knowledge of all of them combined. What's even more disheartening is that these are otherwise smart and intelligent people, but they are completely blinded by pure politics. I've tried to get through to them and I can't. One of them told me today that I was 'alienating' them from the family and my response was "I'm so sorry - I thought Sharpiegate was a no-brainer!" It baffles me that they cannot see the truth or reason in all of this. They believe the sharpie map was real? Really? And the criticism of it is another CNN-driven-media conspiracy? Are they kidding me?

I've read commentary that this is perhaps an opportunity to discredit NOAA and the NWS as it relates to global warming research. If that's the case, then again, it's disgraceful and does us all a disservice. The purpose of those organizations is to be objective and deliver accurate information while adhering to the scientific method we were all taught in grade school. 

In summary, the events of the last week have been horrifying. It is a sad and pathetic state of affairs when our President is allowed to distort official information, break the law by altering official forecasting products, and not only gets away with it -- but a significant percentage of the population still shrugs it off as 'fake news'. I can only hope that somehow, people will finally see this naked narcissism for what it really is, because it is a danger to our national security.

• Like 12
  • Thanks 6

NWS in the overall does an adequate job. It may be a C or B- but they don’t fail.  I don’t evaluate them as if they are the only source. I don’t think they have to be “the very best” source either. They serve the public. They may not serve us well enough but we have sharper needs and info.

1 hour ago, jasons said:

What's even more disheartening is that these are otherwise smart and intelligent people, but they are completely blinded by pure politics. I've tried to get through to them and I can't. One of them told me today that I was 'alienating' them from the family and my response was "I'm so sorry - I thought Sharpiegate was a no-brainer!" It baffles me that they cannot see the truth or reason in all of this. They believe the sharpie map was real? Really? And the criticism of it is another CNN-driven-media conspiracy? Are they kidding me? My gosh...just shoot me already.

"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command."

• Like 10