Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

7 minutes ago, TennTradition said:

@hazwoper

Is this the actual image?

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2204233001

I’ll buy this is advanced satellite imagery. The other satellite image looks rendered based on this. The water seemed much more uniform in color on the CNN clip. 

Yes that is it.  Only it included streets based on mapping 

13 minutes ago, TennTradition said:

@hazwoper

Is this the actual image?

https://amp.usatoday.com/amp/2204233001

I’ll buy this is advanced satellite imagery. The other satellite image looks rendered based on this. The water seemed much more uniform in color on the CNN clip. 

Alright - going to quote to go full-circle. Watched the CNN clip again and it still looked fully rendered over previous satellite imagery (basically an inundation map I would generate using GIS software)  

But then I pulled up the article and pulled up the same images and could actually see then that the video was playing tricks on me with regard to the detail I thought I was seeing in the image. 

I can see the base image is the same radar-imaged view. 

It is amazing the age we are entering into regarding the cost of satellites and their resulting proliferation. 

Basically the data is now unlimited and the  effort lies in data analysis and imagination to try to figure out how to make use of it. 

One of the more interesting combinations I’ve seen is using car counting algorithms to track various companies’ (like retail) activity/sales in advance of earnings returns to allow for investing strategies. Then, pairing this with cell phone tracking to understand the zip codes the shoppers are returning to and the demographics of those zip codes  

Or, estimating oil storage inventory in floating roof tanks by measuring the area of the ellipse formed on the roof by the sun’s shadow and then rolling this up to regional and global storage trends. 

It’s a brave new world. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

Here is the company that produced the image

https://www.iceye.com/

there is also this

https://apple.news/A86UqJLtuOMmtNpqUj8_4fg

It’s surprising there isn’t more flooding in some of the more southern areas of Abaco. Must be elevation but I assumed it was low and thus why there wasn’t any development (much like the east side of Grand Bahama)

I will say one thing regarding overdevelopment - that was a valid point with all the concrete and flooding. I moved to the Houston area in 2005 and I’ve lost count of the number of 100, 500, 1,000 & “unprecedented” floods we have gotten over the last 14 years. It’s become routine for any major rain event to break some sort of record.

2 hours ago, thess said:

When it gets this quiet I assume that the storm is pretty much over. (Non met lurker.) But this seems abnormally quiet, no post mortem or anything. Maybe people have storm fatigue, maybe they’ve peeled off to other sites, no idea. If this was a southeastern possible snowstorm, people would be screaming at each other and posting desperate low-tier models left and right. :)

I notice after a huge severe weather event or something insane tornado wise there is often no post mortem and things carry on as if nothing happened. If a large severe weather day ended up doing absolutely nothing at all no one will post about how and why it failed but rather there simply won't be any posts and no analysis.

6 hours ago, jasons said:

Josh's money comes from his digital marketing business. He didn't get into chasing for the money. The new show probably just finally covered all the crazy plane tickets/hotels/cars/equipment he's purchased over the years so he could chase at a moment's notice.

My post was tongue-in-cheek anyway. 

8 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

I must be pretty low than. Because I love cruising. And it is still the best value in a vacation you can get.

it’s the wal mart of vacations.  

8 hours ago, thess said:

Also depends on your departure port. A cruise out of Manhattan (even on a mainstream line like NCL) gets you a different crowd than, say, NOLA. (And yes I’ve done both, recently.)

the expansion of ports where people can drive to just expands the reach to cheap degenerates.  Now the trash that couldn’t afford plane tickets to Ft lauderdale can drive an hour to their closest port to board these slave ships.

19 minutes ago, Akeem the African Dream said:

it’s the wal mart of vacations.  

the expansion of ports where people can drive to just expands the reach to cheap degenerates.  Now the trash that couldn’t afford plane tickets to Ft lauderdale can drive an hour to their closest port to board these slave ships.

boat loads of deplorables?

15 hours ago, Scuddz said:

Congratulations on googling "can satellites see through clouds"

However, active sensors like sentinel and radarsat use active radar that doesn't interact with water vapor and can see through to the earth's surface  at a very high resolution (1M - 100M) which is why they can used to chart polar sea ice, land use, etc.

edit: Dick

pfffft what do you know about mapping ice. 

15 hours ago, biodhokie said:

If @mappy is okay with it, im okay with it. If shes not okay with it, she can nuke us from orbit.

am i okay with it? i started most of it. :lol: