Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

5 minutes ago, Prospero said:

Not sure I get the gist of what you are saying, but curious. You claim Global Warming is a hoax?

Still getting a feel for who is who around here, and it may take a very loooooong time. But among people who study the weather and climates, does anybody aware of how the planet works truly believe Global Warming by humans is a hoax? Granted those who are blind, or paid to be blind might say so, but people who are educated, intelligent, pay attention and study? No way. I'd have a hard time believing it.

OK, yea, I know, we humans are like tiny ants on a HUGE GIGANTIC orb floating around in space. How could anything we do affect Earth's climate? Silly to think so.

I am sorry, maybe this fever I have from a small bacterial infection is making me grumpy...damn little tiny microbes...

Nah sir. I was quoting SENC in an earlier post.

I was kidding.

44 minutes ago, SENC said:

Over 40 years of experience In the Zone ..  Once on a spoil Island here..... 33.919850, -78.231715

During Bertha.. 

On the beaches & Spoil Islands.. (I was a commercial Fisher (person))..  and wanted to experience a Cane (On the beach) quite the interesting experience, that one.. 

Yawn.  A supposed “fisherman” on an inland spot of a barrier island  during Hurricane Bertha in 1996?   What was Bertha?  A Cat 1 or 2?

Hang it up.   There are true fisherman that have rung more greenwater

out of their socks and others that know more about storms than you ever will.

• Haha 3

41 minutes ago, SENC said:

Over 40 years of experience In the Zone ..  Once on a spoil Island here..... 33.919850, -78.231715

During Bertha.. 

On the beaches & Spoil Islands.. (I was a commercial Fisher (person))..  and wanted to experience a Cane (On the beach) quite the interesting experience, that one.. 

I think I remember you calling Florence overhyped or something like that.

Clown.

Just now, YetAnotherRDUGuy said:

Nah sir. I was quoting SENC in an earlier post.

I was kidding.

OK, just learning the territory of this playground. :)

Will say that sat comparison of the Bahamas was not impressive at all from someone who does some graphic design. Accurate I could not tell, the two images should have been in scale and up-to-date. Obviously there was a vast difference on many levels, very unprofessional and almost worthless as far as a true comparison. Not to say the island is not a lot different from a few days ago, but that graphic was a very poor representation. Give me a recent before and after sat photo, I'll produce you something that you could refer to. ;)

35 minutes ago, Prospero said:

OK, just learning the territory of this playground. :)

Will say that sat comparison of the Bahamas was not impressive at all from someone who does some graphic design. Accurate I could not tell, the two images should have been in scale and up-to-date. Obviously there was a vast difference on many levels, very unprofessional and almost worthless as far as a true comparison. Not to say the island is not a lot different from a few days ago, but that graphic was a very poor representation. Give me a recent before and after sat photo, I'll produce you something that you could refer to. ;)

Wait - are some arguing that’s real? It had to be a rendering based on an assumed sea level change, no? I assume it’s turned into a running joke?

West Coast of Florida tonight, looks like the bands are staying east of us. Tonight was the night we've been anxiously anticipating for a week now. Will go to sleep tonight relaxed, maybe slightly disappointed we didn't get a "tiny" bit more, but very happy we didn't have to board up the windows or even pick up the projectiles that decorate our backyard. Whew.

Watched every WSW wobble, read every post on this and another forum, and stared at the Dorian spinning graphics for hours and hours, and hours.

It's almost over for most of Florida. Power is out and going out on the east coast in scattered places, but I am sure few will be out for more than a day or two. Irma left this home without of electricity for over two weeks. Horrible couple weeks, but our house was still here and the two trees that came down with Irma missed our home.

:)

5 minutes ago, TennTradition said:

Wait - are some arguing that’s real? It had to be a rendering based on an assumed sea level change, no? I assume it’s turned into a running joke?

I only saw it once and briefly when my wife was on CNN and said, "Look at this!" I just thought what a horrible graphic, nothing matched up; streets, landmarks, etc., didn't see debris, down trees, wild surf, it just did not make sense. Lot of people fell for it, for sure. I just kept thinking it was a horrible graphics that did not makes sense. LOL

12 minutes ago, TennTradition said:

Some people appeared to be arguing it's real... But it's so hard to tell on here who's trolling and who's being serious... 

1 hour ago, SENC said:

@YetAnotherRDUGuy says:..

NO they are outdated the Day they came out.. Quite honest about that..

Over-Development With NO regards, to the "Swamp" that is SENC.. 

Over-building, with "run-Off" NOT , being considered..   

Hence, 500 year storms" happening",,  almost every year, (even with heavy T-Storms") places are , or WILL be flooded..

Over-building with NO thoughts, on flooding OR how to drain "Wetlands".. 

I digress.. 

WTF are you talking about 

2 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I must be pretty low than. Because I love cruising. And it is still the best value in a vacation you can get.

Also depends on your departure port. A cruise out of Manhattan (even on a mainstream line like NCL) gets you a different crowd than, say, NOLA. (And yes I’ve done both, recently.)

• Like 1

Just now, thess said:

Also depends on your departure port. A cruise out of Manhattan (even on a mainstream line like NCL) gets you a different crowd than, say, NOLA. (And yes I’ve done both, recently.)

The line matters a ton too. When we were younger we did Carnival, Royal and NCL a lot. Whichever was cheaper. And yes. Some of those cruises were shit shows. We have since moved on to Celebrity and it is just much more laid back. Anyway. Dont want to hijack the thread.

• Like 1

Just now, hazwoper said:

Which is the better experience?

Totally depends on what type of people you feel more comfortable around. Which will lead me into regional and demographic stereotypes, and no good will come of that. :)

I preferred the Escape out of Manhattan over the Breakaway out of NOLA in all aspects (ship, port, fellow passengers). But it seems like I got lucky and my commute from LGA to the port was pretty painless, so that helped. 

2 hours ago, dendrite said:

Josh's career peaked back when he was regularly posting here, but he's still making a pretty decent living for himself.

Josh's money comes from his digital marketing business. He didn't get into chasing for the money. The new show probably just finally covered all the crazy plane tickets/hotels/cars/equipment he's purchased over the years so he could chase at a moment's notice.

35 minutes ago, hazwoper said:

O.M.G.

Spoon-feed me. I don’t know where you’re going  

The only conversation I saw (I believe in the storm watch thread) around it was the posts talking about the fleet of small satellites to peer around clouds. Which seemed to me like an actual attempt to argue it was post-hurricane satellite imagery rather than an inundation map estimated based on surge, which is what it appears to be. I easily could have missed the sarcasm - but if they are being sarcastic about it then I assume someone earlier was arguing it was post-hurricane satellite imagery (laid over a mapped previous satellite imagery)  

EDIT:   I’ll add, yes I’m aware of radar in imagery - but the image I saw in the other thread wasn’t that. It was an inundation map based on elevation inputs and an input water height. I suppose you could argue radar imaging is all rendered anyway. But this didn’t even look that specific.