• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

I come back to the boards and now I’m laughing my kibble and bits off at the main thread. All the friction has stopped the hurricane.

I remember a similar intensity hurricane that everybody from these boards to the nhc themselves said would survive intact near peak intensity after heading inland along the cuban coast. A couple truths have not been learned by many - land and cooler water - damages hurricanes. Dorian’s stall is murdering it with the island interaction but more importantly the upwelling cooler water. I think we will he looking at a cat 1 by noon tomorrow.

4 minutes ago, LVLion77 said:

I remember a similar intensity hurricane that everybody from these boards to the nhc themselves said would survive intact near peak intensity after heading inland along the cuban coast. A couple truths have not been learned by many - land and cooler water - damages hurricanes. Dorian’s stall is murdering it with the island interaction but more importantly the upwelling cooler water. I think we will he looking at a cat 1 by noon tomorrow.

Cat 1 by noon tomorrow? Are you sure you dont want to edit your post?

On 8/28/2019 at 9:22 AM, Drz1111 said:

If I had to guess - and I’m no pro, just a guy with a degree who went on to do other things - I bet this storm under performs in the Bahamas bc of interference with the upper air low and poor outflow to the north, and then as it nears the coast and crosses the Gulf Stream it gets its shit together and landfalls as a strong 2 / weak 3.  Dry ambient airmass and warm SSTs should keep it small, though.

If I could turn back time.... do do do do do

Satellite images of Grand Bahama Island before and after Dorian:

https://www.cnn.com/2019/09/03/weather/hurricane-dorian-bahamas-before-and-after-wxc-trnd/index.html

I'm going to assume that some of that is flooding that will recede, but, as others have been saying, it's likely the geography of the Bahamas has been permanently altered.

Cat 1 by noon tomorrow? Are you sure you dont want to edit your post?

I may have been off by a few hours as the weakening continues and is only at 110 now on a steady march down in intensity(incredible considering how recent we were looking at a 185 mph behemoth) but the undeniable fact is that this thing had wound down quicker than most anticipated because it sat and spun over cool waters caused by itself. It really looks beat up right now. Sometimes we ignore the fundamentals with these storms -ie exceptional oceanic warmth is required to maintain intensity. Let’s see if it really has begun the move north and if it can regain any intensity over the gulf stream.