Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

18 minutes ago, psv88 said:

I see your point. What gets me is everyone referring to him as "josh" like they are his friends. Some may be i guess, but its still a bit weird. I think riding out storms is important, so people can see what happens if you dont leave, so i think what he does is important. 

There are a lot of weather hobbyists, and the hobby takes many forms, but some forms seem weird to me. Interest in chaser personalities is not my thing, but he has really cultivated an image and brand. I'm a little grossed out by referring to cyclones as "sexy" and "hawt" but clearly I'm not his audience.

That said, you make a great point about how legitimately terrifying some hurricane videos are. Being trapped in an attic as the storm surge rises seems like a particularly awful way to spend your last few minutes on earth. But I was already convinced by the famous Katrina warning issued by the WFO in New Orleans that I would not want to be anywhere near a major hurricane.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNash said:

There are a lot of weather hobbyists, and the hobby takes many forms, but some forms seem weird to me. Interest in chaser personalities is not my thing, but he has really cultivated an image and brand. I'm a little grossed out by referring to cyclones as "sexy" and "hawt" but clearly I'm not his audience.

That said, you make a great point about how legitimately terrifying some hurricane videos are. Being trapped in an attic as the storm surge rises seems like a particularly awful way to spend your last few minutes on earth. But I was already convinced by the famous Katrina warning issued by the WFO in New Orleans that I would not want to be anywhere near a major hurricane.

I’d do like a cat 1, that might be fun...but a car 4 or 5 right on the coast. No way.

4 minutes ago, WNash said:

Agree. I would move my family out of harms way even if a cat 1 was bearing down. No need to be without power or deal with a tree thru my roof 

I gotta say, the journalistic philosophy of Bahamas Press, at least from its social media content, seems to have a distinctly yellow tint to it. 

Most assuredly places like Abaco have been brutalized and there are fatalities, maybe a good number. And maybe the Bahamanian authorities' response is not ideal. Not surprising there, as this is a nationwide catastrophe that no amount of planning, I would think, could prepare for. But BP with its ALL CAPS AND EXCLAMATION POINTS! rhetorical style reminds me of some of the less savory approaches used by other media outlets whose claims of objectivity sour with their ready recourse to unsupported accusations of deliberate negligence. 

Of course the press should hold the authorities accountable. But darkly assuming the PM is deliberately lying about fatalities, when parts of the Bahamas are still getting pounded by Dorain, may or may not be irresponsible, but certainly isn't helpful. At least now. And if they do take that tack, which is certainly within the right of a free media (which I assume the Bahamas has), then maybe the organization shouldn't present itself as strictly reportage, which to me it seems to do.  

I know this is OT even for the banter board, so if it's deleted, that's OK. As someone in media, I just wanted to get my impression out there, see how others are reacting to BP. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

I see your point. What gets me is everyone referring to him as "josh" like they are his friends. Some may be i guess, but its still a bit weird. I think riding out storms is important, so people can see what happens if you dont leave, so i think what he does is important. 

Calling someone by their name is weird? 

Lol

What are you supposed to call him?

2 hours ago, WNash said:

He's a videographer, not a livestream chaser, so it's a little ridiculous to see all these prayers for him on Twitter. Getting online wouldn't be his first priority. To his credit, he hasn't tried to finagle a quick trip out of devastated areas in the past, when authorities are left counting the numbers of the living and seeing if civilization can ever be restored. Besides, he is enough of a showman to appreciate the drama of his re-emergence after a couple of days incommunicado.

He also got a show on television and is likely paid considerably for it. He's living the dream I wish I had. No one should feel sorry from him, he usually reemerges within a week following a chase on here. He's a veteran in chasing Canes all over the world. Some of those Philippians islands facing 200+ mph would have me worried much more.

1 hour ago, 09-10 analogy said:

I know this is OT even for the banter board, so if it's deleted, that's OK. As someone in media, I just wanted to get my impression out there, see how others are reacting to BP. 

Don't disagree. Seems so agenda driven that it feels disconnected from the reality of what people are dealing with.

Josh and folks like him are a bit crazy IMHO (perhaps crazy isn't the right description). That being said, from a historical perspective,  they provide invaluable documentation.  Perhaps a couple people who might consider riding out a hurricane will see their videos and realize why evacuation orders are given even when a direct hit is not a certainty.