Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

28 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Videos from the well off people appear to be from Freeport area, where wind gusts likely 120-130 range, which would destroy a wooden house, but won’t do too much damage to a newly built concrete house. These people likely know their house can withstand cat 3 winds and stayed, probably to ward off looting. 

My fathers house near Naples was hit with 140 winds in Irma and sustained minor roof damage and lost his linai. He could have stayed and been fine, but no power or water for weeks... New construction is solid. 

IrmaWindAnalysis_mph.png

Where did you come up with 140 mph?  Huge difference between 85-110 and 140.

140 mph is extremely destructive even for well constructed buildings.

(major)
130-156 mph

Catastrophic damage will occur: Well-built framed homes can sustain severe damage with loss of most of the roof structure and/or some exterior walls. Most trees will be snapped or uprooted and power poles downed. Fallen trees and power poles will isolate residential areas. Power outages will last weeks to possibly months. Most of the area will be uninhabitable for weeks or months.

30 minutes ago, psv88 said:

New Houses aren’t built out of wood in Florida or the Bahamas. Strict building codes. Maybe where you live in Southern Ohio houses are made out of glue, but down there new construction is rock solid. 

New construction in Florida is the same crap built elsewhere with hurricane straps. What a joke. The Florida code is an ICC Code, just like the Ohio code and many others. Go read the residential part. It's the same spec for cheap junky wood.

I want to know which part of the weather models provided “ solid guidance” over the past week?

Did it turn North and instantly weaken?

Everything came together in the last few days showing a northern curve out to sea. It is significantly weaker right now and will continue to weaken. Outside of the poor souls in the Bahamas, this will wind down as primarily an ocean storm affecting maritime interests. Incredible storm to track over the last few days.

1 hour ago, fyrfyter said:

New construction is garbage. How cheap can we build a house? It's cheaper for it to be destroyed and rebuild it than to build something that will last. Look around, all the new buildings are built with glue and lumber scraps. Nothing is designed to last anymore.

Wildly ignorant statement.

New construction is garbage. How cheap can we build a house? It's cheaper for it to be destroyed and rebuild it than to build something that will last. Look around, all the new buildings are built with glue and lumber scraps. Nothing is designed to last anymore.

Look at a photo of the lone standing house left in Gilchrist, TX after Ike and get back to us.

i'm over here attm because I have a question for a lot of peeps.

someone on twitter just had his flight-tracker app on. and with the vast majority of planes staying away from Dorian, except for identifiable NOAA/USAF hurricane Hunter planes, was seeing some type of rogue flight heading right into Dorian with an Embraer 600 Legacy jet (an executive business jet, not one you wanting to fly towards a cat-4/5 hurricane). What do you think could be going on with that flight? I checked the specs available, its max service altitude is 41kft msl, and it has Rolls Royce 8000lbf thrust engines. no turbulence tolerance specs available.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

2 hours ago, fyrfyter said:

New construction in Florida is the same crap built elsewhere with hurricane straps. What a joke. The Florida code is an ICC Code, just like the Ohio code and many others. Go read the residential part. It's the same spec for cheap junky wood.

Right because new growth pine, glulams, lvls, and OSB are clearly “quality” building materials.

yells.jpg.8e0a789bc2571488454b72b25c671d1c.jpg

At the Lake Worth house:

Platinum Security Group has just informed the Association that the guard will be dismissed from the property within the next hour due to the tropical force winds. The gate arms will be removed prior to his dismissal for both the front and back gates. The gatehouse will be locked up at that time.

7 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

I’m sick of the posts in the main thread worrying about josh. I don’t care, and frankly if something did happen to him it is hard for me to feel bad for someone that put himself in front of a car 5 storm in a small island.

I'd feel bad.  He seems like a cool dude.  He has done this often enough to where his abilities are pretty darn good, but as a chaser you must recognize that there is always a small chance of something going really wrong.  

7 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

I’m sick of the posts in the main thread worrying about josh. I don’t care, and frankly if something did happen to him it is hard for me to feel bad for someone that put himself in front of a car 5 storm in a small island.

All you do is bitch.  If you want to see a list of inane complaining useless posts just do a search for your posts in this thread.  There are over 2500 posts in the main thread.  Do you know how many mentioned Josh? I'll show you.

Search Again

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching for:

More search options

Found 17 results

• Like 2

One lone house on stilts that still needed a years worth of repair after Ike... seems to prove my point.

No, you missed the point. That house was the only new construction in the area; it was concrete pilings, and it was the only one left standing. All the other houses that were washed away were older houses on wooden pilings.

All the new houses in Gilchrist are now built higher and on concrete pilings, like the yellow house.

12 minutes ago, jburns said:

All you do is bitch.  If you want to see a list of inane complaining useless posts just do a search for your posts in this thread.  There are over 2500 posts in the main thread.  Do you know how many mentioned Josh? I'll show you.

Search Again

Didn't find what you were looking for? Try searching for:

More search options

Found 17 results

That’s what the banter thread is for.  Why don’t you go moderate the main thread that has been a train wreck instead of complaining about me?

2 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

That’s what the banter thread is for.  Why don’t you go moderate the main thread that has been a train wreck instead of complaining about me?

I gotta say that a substantial amount of posts have been hidden from view, so for as bad as you think it is it could be much worse.

39 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I'd feel bad.  He seems like a cool dude.  He has done this often enough to where his abilities are pretty darn good, but as a chaser you must recognize that there is always a small chance of something going really wrong.  

He's a videographer, not a livestream chaser, so it's a little ridiculous to see all these prayers for him on Twitter. Getting online wouldn't be his first priority. To his credit, he hasn't tried to finagle a quick trip out of devastated areas in the past, when authorities are left counting the numbers of the living and seeing if civilization can ever be restored. Besides, he is enough of a showman to appreciate the drama of his re-emergence after a couple of days incommunicado.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I think chasing a hurricane, especially on a small island, is dumb. 

2 minutes ago, WNash said:

He's a videographer, not a livestream chaser, so it's a little ridiculous to see all these prayers for him on Twitter. Getting online wouldn't be his first priority. To his credit, he hasn't tried to finagle a quick trip out of devastated areas in the past, when authorities are left counting the numbers of the living and seeing if civilization can ever be restored. Besides, he is enough of a showman to appreciate the drama of his re-emergence after a couple of days incommunicado.

I see your point. What gets me is everyone referring to him as "josh" like they are his friends. Some may be i guess, but its still a bit weird. I think riding out storms is important, so people can see what happens if you dont leave, so i think what he does is important. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WNash said:

Glad you said this...his last posts are almost always “moving to secured room, people almost dying.” I always thought it felt contrived.

1 minute ago, psv88 said:

I see your point. What gets me is everyone referring to him as "josh" like they are his friends. Some may be i guess, but its still a bit weird. I think riding out storms is important, so people can see what happens if you dont leave, so i think what he does is important. 

On one hand, I see what you are saying...on the other hand it encourages amateurs to try it and someone will get killed eventually.