Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

4 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

So what are people suppose to discuss?? Even Mets on here and other  online sites/TV have discussed Dorians wobbles and potential tracks. And some have speculated on Dorian hitting FL. Is that wishcasting?  I have not read a post that stated "I want to see A full fledged CAT 5 Dorian hit Florida"  

It’s wonderful that other Mets have discussed that possibility, WHILE DISCUSSING THE OTHER POSSIBILITIES AS WELL. Again, what he was talking about was the people who ONLY talk about that scenario. They don’t have to say it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FatherNature said:

It’s wonderful that other Mets have discussed that possibility, WHILE DISCUSSING THE OTHER POSSIBILITIES AS WELL. Again, what he was talking about was the people who ONLY talk about that scenario. They don’t have to say it.

So you make the jump from "Dorian seems to be still heading west" to people hoping for a direct hit on FL?????

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Not going to bother to count but for Dorian, I wonder how many individual model runs posted are on the left side of the NHC cone of uncertainty vs. the right side...

I thought about this as well. Just looking over the last few days, it seemed like 25-33% showed landfalls. That's a big problem considering any one of those ensemble runs could be correct.

I think this is a lot of the reason why so many of the states are clearing out there coasts. There is way too much uncertainty on this one. The forecast seems to change with each model run. If it were minor changes, I think they would have been more conservative on evacuations.

I heard at some point, one model spread was 70 miles in width.

5 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

So you make the jump from "Dorian seems to be still heading west" to people hoping for a direct hit on FL?????

Clearly there is something you aren’t understanding, so let’s just agree to disagree. Maybe our understanding of the word wishcasting is different.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, jburns said:

Trump Tweets About Hurricane Dorian Hitting Alabama — and National Weather Services Issue Correction

https://people.com/politics/trump-hurricane-dorian-hitting-alabama-national-weather-services-issue-correction/

Thought this was a joke till I clicked on the link... then I remembered who sent the tweet.  I'll promise to behave and not say what I really think of the idiot.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

26 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

I thought about this as well. Just looking over the last few days, it seemed like 25-33% showed landfalls. That's a big problem considering any one of those ensemble runs could be correct.

I think this is a lot of the reason why so many of the states are clearing out there coasts. There is way too much uncertainty on this one. The forecast seems to change with each model run. If it were minor changes, I think they would have been more conservative on evacuations.

I heard at some point, one model spread was 70 miles in width.

No doubt it is stressing me out; I have family in Wilmington, NC and Raleigh, NC although not as worried about Raleigh.

35 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

So if Dorian does take a turn to the north, and I post "Looks like Dorian is going to hit the SC coast" ...you assume I want to see a cat 3/4 hit SC???

No, because that is very plausible. A FL landfall at this point is not and hasn’t been for a couple days.

5 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Ok, I see these videos of people that are obviously well off that stayed. Why in the world would you not evacuate???

Videos from the well off people appear to be from Freeport area, where wind gusts likely 120-130 range, which would destroy a wooden house, but won’t do too much damage to a newly built concrete house. These people likely know their house can withstand cat 3 winds and stayed, probably to ward off looting. 

My fathers house near Naples was hit with 140 winds in Irma and sustained minor roof damage and lost his linai. He could have stayed and been fine, but no power or water for weeks... New construction is solid. 

6 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Videos from the well off people appear to be from Freeport area, where wind gusts likely 120-130 range, which would destroy a wooden house, but won’t do too much damage to a newly built concrete house. These people likely know their house can withstand cat 3 winds and stayed, probably to ward off looting. 

My fathers house near Naples was hit with 140 winds in Irma and sustained minor roof damage and lost his linai. He could have stayed and been fine, but no power or water for weeks... New construction is solid. 

Yeah, but when the surge is in your living room....

15 minutes ago, psv88 said:

New construction is garbage. How cheap can we build a house? It's cheaper for it to be destroyed and rebuild it than to build something that will last. Look around, all the new buildings are built with glue and lumber scraps. Nothing is designed to last anymore.

2 minutes ago, fyrfyter said:

New construction is garbage. How cheap can we build a house? It's cheaper for it to be destroyed and rebuild it than to build something that will last. Look around, all the new buildings are built with glue and lumber scraps. Nothing is designed to last anymore.

New Houses aren’t built out of wood in Florida or the Bahamas. Strict building codes. Maybe where you live in Southern Ohio houses are made out of glue, but down there new construction is rock solid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2