Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

1 minute ago, superjames1992 said:

It’s definitely important to remember a Florida landfall is well within range of a “typical forecast error” 48 hours out.

Yeah and honestly it seems like the NHC was maybe a little late with the hurricane watches. I really think the wind radii expanding out relatively rapidly is a pretty big concern.

I know they didn't go with the actual reading but I can't say I ever remember a dropsonde measuring 200+ at the surface before. Anyone else?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, OSUmetstud said:

lolz. Talk to the NHC and see why they don't even bother running verification scores on it. 

If this thing hits FL it's going to be a major black eye for forecasters.  Accuracy has not been great from any outlet on this thus far.  I think it's concerning how insistent forecasters are about this turn in an environment that appears to have very week steering.  I believe that is the best forecast, but I'm not sure how much confidence to place in it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, fyrfyter said:

Apparently since the 50s, this is decided at the end of the year after hurricane season is over as to reusing a name.

Based upon things this today, I’d say this one will be retired.

Well yeah, because it is crushing the Bahamas right now and that is just the start. If there was a 150 mph cat 4 over the middle of the Atlantic that impacted nothing it would not be.

1 hour ago, BRSno said:

Really dodged a major bullet down here in FLL. 185mph is just crazy.

Aside from the cliche, it wouldn't be 185 mph by the time it got to Florida because its forward speed would slow enough to weaken him due to upwelling. Probably would be a category 3 similar to Hurricane Frances' weakening.

1 hour ago, LaPlata Twister said:

These guys are hanging out in my home town of Kingsland, GA. Heard they’ve been putting instrumentation in the waterways here. Hoping this isn’t a bad sign. 

If nothing else they could be setting stuff out to help validate their models.  It's a good opportunity for that.