Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Dorian Banter Thread

Jtm12180

3 minutes ago, WildFlower said:

Okay then.. sounds even better.  A truck load of bottled water and a catapult.

Yea. Sorta nice. Sometimes it’s Poland Springs water & not the generic stuff.

looting has been known to occur after storms. Seen it on the news too. If you evacuate it’s best to take personal belongings 

33 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

I actually hope people start playing this one up... within reason.  Call it responsible hyperbole.  Potential for a pretty bad outcome and timed on a holiday with more out of towners in the mix. 

We lucked out with Sandy a few years ago.  Two days later and it landfalls on Halloween and the impact is much worse. 

1 hour ago, Indystorm said:

I am actually concerned regarding when watches and warnings will be posted, although I understand the meteorological hesitancy.  My concern is that Florida is a long state.  Time will be needed for evacuations northward and also preps for those who do not have transportation to evacuate.

Spent about 15 years in Fl.  Experienced some good ones.  Some I chased some didn't have to.  Elena (72 hours of hell), Andrew (West coast still a monster), Katrina (scariest cat 1/2 ever), Ivan (was prepared and actually enjoyed it) to name a few.  I'm of the opinion know where you live.  Canes come with the territory down there so deal with it and prepare yourself.  For most of Fl. it's not that hard to evacuate 20 or 30 miles inland  (if you have to go that far) if you live within 5 miles of the coast and then hunker down.  If you live in Fl. and your evac plan is Georgia move back up north lol.  Pinellas county (St. Pete, Clearwater, Largo area where I lived) is just a disaster waiting to happen however because there's just nowhere to go. Water on 3 sides, an average above sea level of about 15-20 feet, 4 bridges and a highway paralleling the coast north the only way out for about 1 million people to evacuate.  It's been like 100 years since that area was slammed with a big dog and it will happen again.  IMO that area is a powder keg during cane season.

There has been a lot of talk about the hype regarding this storm.  One of the things that I like to track is when it actually dawns on the populace down in S Florida that this threat is for real.  I measure that by looking at the traffic apps showing highway speed conditions.  In other storms I have seen those interstates backed up for hundreds of miles as people flee the storm.  So far I have not seen any sign of the expected mass exodus on the highways down there.  My thinking is that the West Palm Beach area is at the greatest risk of a direct hit early next week.  If you or your friends or family are even considering leaving the area ahead of the storm I would not wait too much longer.  My two cents anyways.

Obviously the area of southern Florida where this could make landfall . There is a lot of towns from Miami up to Port ST Lucy . I have family in Delray Beach and Port St Lucy . I can’t get them a flight out because the prices have jumped to $900 a ticket . Should I tell them to go over to the Cape Coral area . Where other family currently lives ? 

3 minutes ago, Sportybx said:

Obviously the area of southern Florida where this could make landfall . There is a lot of towns from Miami up to Port ST Lucy . I have family in Delray Beach and Port St Lucy . I can’t get them a flight out because the prices have jumped to $900 a ticket . Should I tell them to go over to the Cape Coral area . Where other family currently lives ? 

Seriously. Think about taking a late cruise deal, probably 1/2 the price of flying. Out of harms way, maybe a little rough but cruise right around it.

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Why is it inevitable that comparisons to Andrew and Hugo are made any time a SE US landfalling cane threat occurs? Every. Single. Time. 

just wait if it moves up the coast. surely someone will mention sandy or irene

• Haha 2