Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

4 hours ago, alex said:

You can see it very well here on a clear night (and we are not that far!). My brother lives in Rome where you can’t even see a meteorite coming straight at you and was freaked out the first time he saw the Milky Way lol

The Milky Way is very prominent in NNE away from towns.  I sit out on my deck or on these chairs on a clear, moonless nights and realize how insignificant we are.  Amazing people in the cities can never see this.  This photo was taken this summer from my front lawn.  It's a short time exposure so the Milky Way is slightly brighter in this picture than the naked eye but not much.  The lights from Bristol NH 7 miles to my south mucks up my south view.

Edit.  Also thousands of stars in my night sky.   How many can you count in Boston,  25-50?

MW.jpg

• Like 7

58 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

The Milky Way is very prominent in NNE away from towns.  I sit out on my deck or on these chairs on a clear, moonless nights and realize how insignificant we are.  Amazing people in the cities can never see this.  This photo was taken this summer from my front lawn.  It's a short time exposure so the Milky Way is slightly brighter in this picture than the naked eye but not much.  The lights from Bristol NH 7 miles to my south mucks up my south view.

Edit.  Also thousands of stars in my night sky.   How many can you count in Boston,  25-50?

MW.jpg

Really nice Gene!  I’m down to under a year left working so maybe....

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My pool is down to 63F.  Ain’t happening 

Turned my NG heater off 2 weeks ago and pool was still 77 with the solar cover on. Threw heater on at 10 am and was 81 when I went in an hour ago. Has to be 80 for me to float around comfortably. 75 to swim. I'm a wimp with cold water the older I get. Might have something to do with my low pulse rate.. Usually around 56-60

5 hours ago, alex said:

You can see it very well here on a clear night (and we are not that far!). My brother lives in Rome where you can’t even see a meteorite coming straight at you and was freaked out the first time he saw the Milky Way lol

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

The Milky Way is very prominent in NNE away from towns.  I sit out on my deck or on these chairs on a clear, moonless nights and realize how insignificant we are.  Amazing people in the cities can never see this.

I hadn’t thought about it, but that’s quite true regarding the sky visibility in NNE.  I’d say our current location here in Waterbury is probably the best of anywhere we’ve lived, and that includes our time in Montana.  When we first moved here, I was amazed at how much the Milky Way stood out in the sky.  In Montana, we lived in a couple spots in Hamilton, but both were within town limits.  Here, we’re 2 to 3 miles outside town, and Waterbury is definitely smaller than Hamilton.  Another factor that I think plays into it is the topography around here – we’ve got these narrow valleys and hollows that quickly get you away from any town lights.  With the typical broad, flat valleys in Montana, you don’t necessarily get shielded from city lights just by getting out of town.  This far north in NNE we don’t really have any big cities (I guess Burlington is the largest up here?), so that’s going to contribute to less overall light pollution.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Great to hear from you. How are things? Settling in well?

Great suggestion. I’ll have to make the trip up there sometime.

I’ve been moved around a couple of times before they decided that I’m staying in RI after all. Hopefully I’ll soon be settled.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, alex said:

Yeah, I was also thinking about the White mountains... that seems to be a very nice spot to see the stars, as well as for skiing, snowmobiling, and seeing the fall colors.

3 hours ago, wxeyeNH said:

MW.jpg

That’s an amazing shot. Regarding that brightness near the horizon, is it zodiacal light, or is it light pollution in the distance?

Seeing the Milky Way is pretty cool, but what I really want is to also see the zodiacal light, and I think that requires super dark skies.

21 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Hey Fozz-what’s up?   How did you end up in sne?

Hey weathafella... I got a job in northern RI. My company has many different locations but this is where they placed me for the time being.

Can’t really complain... and I hope I get to see more of New England. Average snowfall in my new location seems to be about double what it was where I grew up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

That’s an amazing shot. Regarding that brightness near the horizon, is it zodiacal light, or is it light pollution in the distance?

Seeing the Milky Way is pretty cool, but what I really want is to also see the zodiacal light, and I think that requires super dark skies.

I face south so that is light pollution.  Bristol NH population 3000 just south of me.  Then Franklin NH pop 8500 perhaps 15 miles south of that.  Concord NH 35 miles.  So looking south lots of pollution.  

6 minutes ago, Hoth said:

Was up in Manchester, VT area this weekend for a wedding. I thought it was rather remarkable just how much color showed up in the higher elevations between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. BTW, I'd forgotten what a beautiful area that is in general. 

The color on the Brownville, ME cam has really started to pop too out of nowhere. Midweek last week it was a lot of dark green still

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Fozz said:

Hey weathafella... I got a job in northern RI. My company has many different locations but this is where they placed me for the time being.

Can’t really complain... and I hope I get to see more of New England. Average snowfall in my new location seems to be about double what it was where I grew up.

What town?  Welcome to our subforum!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hoth said:

Was up in Manchester, VT area this weekend for a wedding. I thought it was rather remarkable just how much color showed up in the higher elevations between Friday afternoon and Sunday morning. BTW, I'd forgotten what a beautiful area that is in general. 

That's interesting because opposite here,  some color is definitely starting to pop here in the valley but coming through Savoy Mt Pass in the Berkshires yesterday, it was mostly pale green, leathery leaves.  It was kind of surprising because often they change first up there at 2k.  Might have something to do with precipitation this summer?