Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

Just now, moneypitmike said:

The family room was once a porch.  It has two walls that are entirely windows.  At least it has basement below it.

FWIW, the stove here is a gas one so easy to use to take off the chill and turn off.  Plus no mess.  That said, I do miss cutting and splitting wood.

Up to 56* now.

You are welcome to come stack wood here if you miss it.    ;  )

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

When I consider 15-16, the saddest single feature (to me) was that some normally snowy VT sites recorded the season's biggest snowfall - about 4" IIRC - on May 16.  It's a terrible winter that has no storms to beat one in mid-May.

Down at our elevation we only had a half inch from that mid-May storm, so our distribution of top storms was more typical, with the largest storms from Dec through Feb.  Of course, the top five events were woefully low on accumulation in general just due to the tenor of the season.  The top five storms for ’15-‘16 here were:

1) 1/18/16:  11.2”

2) 1/12/16:  7.3”

3) 12/29/15:  6.6”

4)  2/8/16:  5.4”

5)  4/6/16:  5.0”

6 hours ago, moneypitmike said:

First morning for the stove.  Came down to a 58* family room.  Need to get that chill off.

2 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

You need better insulation.

What HV said.  Does the house have any?  Even with temps in the 30s here, my house was 68F.  I haven’t even flipped my AC off yet.

1 hour ago, Whineminster said:

This summer has sucked since mid August.  It's been freezing!!! Shortest summer ever.  September is supposed to be tshirts and jorts weather. 

It’s been a very short summer , and That’s a good way to describe it 

Mashua had its latest start in 20 “summers” till it had ONE average day’s  demp of >75...late June 

and there have been many cool nites from MID August on 

that is why folks laugh at it has been a hot summer . Yes July was hot , not as dewy as last year but much above average

• Thanks 1

Just now, Baroclinic Zone said:

What HV said.  Does the house have any?  Even with temps in the 30s here, my house was 68F.  I haven’t even flipped my AC off yet.

Ha, yeah.  I’ve had dozens of mornings colder and even with all my windows open the inside temp hasn’t gotten to that level of MPM’s.

If you are using heat in SNE before I’ve turned mine on, time to look at more energy efficient windows or something. 

3 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

North central LI is definitely a sneaky weenie spot. 

It really is, especially the last decade or so. They catch the nice banding of all the late developing nor'easter while still being cold enough on the North Shore to be all snow while the southern half of LI would rain/mix or accumulate a lot worse.

Same thing for western Monmouth County in the northern part of the Jersey Shore. Always caching those well placed bands. Isotherm can attest to this.

21 minutes ago, BombsAway1288 said:

It really is, especially the last decade or so. They catch the nice banding of all the late developing nor'easter while still being cold enough on the North Shore to be all snow while the southern half of LI would rain/mix or accumulate a lot worse.

Same thing for western Monmouth County in the northern part of the Jersey Shore. Always caching those well placed bands. Isotherm can attest to this.

N LI has been doing it for decades. Not just recently. They got great deformation bands in the March 2001 storm (which salvaged it there to some extent vs NYC) and April 1996...blizzard of '78 too going further back. 

• Like 1