Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

Just now, Fozz said:

Well that's a shame.

On another note I was thinking of heading up to that area just to see the stars. Based on the dark sky map it looks like a great spot.

You won’t be disappointed Fozz as far as star gazing, No lights for miles and a lot of high peaks to observe.

2 minutes ago, MetHerb said:

Can't wait - I'm going up to Moosehead Lake and then as far north as Saguenay before returning home via the White Mountains.  I'm hoping I get clear weather for a trip up Mount Washington next weekend but I know what my chances are.

Great time of year to be up there and should have some decent color too.

14 minutes ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

46F

Nice... We are having a mild evening up this way.... past hour has been bouncing between 55-59F now!  It keeps trying to drop if the wind is calm, but then it picks up again and the temp jumps back up.  

Much colder east/south.  BTV area probably going to see 30-40mph gusts out of the south late tonight with the WAA coming in on the low level jet.

2 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I did better in 2015-16 than in 2011-12 by a few inches.  55ish vs 46”.   26” of the 2011/12 totals came in 2 October events. So 20” or so from Nov until the epic March torch was pretty bad. 

The “Magic” October events leading to dud winters have to amount to 6”+ at ORH to count. Those stats are 100% iron clad. 

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

2015-16 was a complete and utter disaster up here.  153” at the ski area, with the next lowest amount being like 240” in the past 25 years.  It just crushed what we thought were the “bad winters” by like 75”+.

Yeah, the status of that ’15-‘16 season was simply unmitigated.  I didn’t think we could even get snowfall numbers that low.  My data set indicates the snowfall that season was 2.25 S.D. below the mean, which is roughly the bottom 1% of seasons.  I’m still confused/amazed that it’s not down there in the basement for SNE though – before posting I had checked Kevin’s web page for the ’15-’16 totals, and nobody in SNE even reported 50” for the season.  The majority of folks reported snowfall totals in the 30s, and some were even lower.  Hubb is even listed as 30.5”, so are the numbers there not correct?  I guess those numbers are what gave me the impressions of such a bad season.

1 hour ago, Fozz said:

Well that's a shame.

On another note I was thinking of heading up to that area just to see the stars. Based on the dark sky map it looks like a great spot.

I don’t know what type of out in the boonies experience you’ve had Fozz but I’d venture a guess that it would pretty much unlike anything you’ve experienced. It beautiful and the night sky is as dark as you’ll find on the east coast. 

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

You mean 2011-12 not 09-10 right?  

2015-16 was a complete and utter disaster up here.  153” at the ski area, with the next lowest amount being like 240” in the past 25 years.  It just crushed what we thought were the “bad winters” by like 75”+.

There are no cocorahs or CO-OPs in Bennington, VT, but I honestly think they had 6-10" for the whole 15-16 winter.(think 10" might be pushing it) Watching radars and webcams for the few events there were, with some bad luck and normal screw jobs I seriously think they had single digits. Even being in a snow hole, they are still at 700-800ft in SVT, so just absurd to be that low.

Posted before, but this was xmas morning 2015 here...looks ready for a mow.

20190913_213333.jpg.6f7009966ea0372a5fe4c0135b8a4684.jpg

• Sad 1

49 minutes ago, mreaves said:

I don’t know what type of out in the boonies experience you’ve had Fozz but I’d venture a guess that it would pretty much unlike anything you’ve experienced. It beautiful and the night sky is as dark as you’ll find on the east coast. 

I went to Cherry Springs park in northern PA this past summer which is a certified Dark Sky park, and it had the best view I've ever seen in my life.

Other than that, I've seen the Milky Way a few other times in my life, but never saw anything truly spectacular. I definitely want to check out Richardson or Mooselookmeguntic lake... that might have an even better view than Cherry Springs.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the status of that ’15-‘16 season was simply unmitigated.  I didn’t think we could even get snowfall numbers that low.  My data set indicates the snowfall that season was 2.25 S.D. below the mean, which is roughly the bottom 1% of seasons.  I’m still confused/amazed that it’s not down there in the basement for SNE though – before posting I had checked Kevin’s web page for the ’15-’16 totals, and nobody in SNE even reported 50” for the season.  The majority of folks reported snowfall totals in the 30s, and some were even lower.  Hubb is even listed as 30.5”, so are the numbers there not correct?  I guess those numbers are what gave me the impressions of such a bad season.

My mistake.  When I checked the 2015 2016 AmWx page KevinMa had, his first post link brought me to the table from this past winter (where I got that 55” total)   Yeah. 2015/16 was horrible here.  Just 30.5”.  

But 2011/12 was still worse after October here.  Lol.