Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

4 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I don't recall the final totals for the mid-Atlantic that season (probably because I went to therapy and had such thoughts hypnotically removed from my mind), but I don't remember them getting more snow than way up north.  Wow. 

They had like 100+” in parts of the mid-Atlantic I thought.  We had like 95” in Stowe.

1 minute ago, powderfreak said:

They had like 100+” in parts of the mid-Atlantic I thought.  We had like 95” in Stowe.

Nobody on the CP had that much, but into the interior PA and MD hills they got close to that (not counting actual mountains here).

2009-2010_SNE_snowfall.PNG.2011e6a407b5378e980445079d155fd4.PNG

My map doesn't get all the way down into MD...but you can see even interior hills of NJ had over 80 inches. But that actually isn't unprecedented for there...they have had seasons over 100" in the interior hills of NNJ....1960-1961 and 1995-1996 come to mind. Maybe 1957-1958 too....'66-'67 was about on par with '09-'10 with some 80-90" totals there. NW NJ kind of whiffed on the December 2009 storm and the Feb 5-6, 2010 storm which surely cost them a run at the record books if they had gotten both.

If you include actual high point in the NW corner, you could include a lot more years too than the ones I listed above.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Cold Miser said:

I don't recall the final totals for the mid-Atlantic that season (probably because I went to therapy and had such thoughts hypnotically removed from my mind), but I don't remember them getting more snow than way up north.  Wow. 

39 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

BWI received around 77” IIRC, but I lived just north of the Baltimore beltway at a good elevation. The final total in my area was around 85”, which included two back to back storms bringing 25” then 20” in the span of 5 days (I enjoyed the second storm more, since it blew up in the perfect spot for northern MD and had full fledged blizzard conditions for much of the day). It took an amazing -NAO block as well as a lot of luck for us to end up with a winter like that. Those back to back storms would've been incredible for just about anywhere in the country outside the LES snow belts or high mountains, but for the piedmont of the mid-Atlantic it was absolutely unbelievable. The scene out there after the second storm reminded me of The Day After Tomorrow.

Some nearby areas just to my west exceeded 90” for the season, and a bit further northwest into the higher terrain of Carroll county (1000’+), there were totals of just over 100”.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Angus said:

sad to see missing roof shingles at the Saddleback base lodge. There was a flurry of news about two weeks ago but heard nothing since. That's a beautiful part of Maine.

Wasn’t there an investment firm that was going to reopen the mountain? Or is that being held back?

3 minutes ago, Fozz said:

Wasn’t there an investment firm that was going to reopen the mountain? Or is that being held back?

There a lot of broken promises from that group of investors, I don't know all the details but i have my doubt's there firm will be the one that actually reopens it if at all.

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

Seeing its friday the 13th, I'm sure most here would love to have another October snow bomb to kick off winter!

4 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not if it means the disaster of the winter that came later

4 hours ago, Hoth said:

Agreed. Last winter had a great early event and then it felt like it didn't snow again for three months.

I know folks can fret unnecessarily about early snow and its “effects” on the rest of the season, but doesn’t ’15-‘16 sort of fly in the face of that?  Isn’t that literally the dud to end all duds that puts these other seasons to shame?  It didn’t have any of that “special” early snow did it?

sad to see missing roof shingles at the Saddleback base lodge. There was a flurry of news about two weeks ago but heard nothing since. That's a beautiful part of Maine.
Yeah, I saw the shingles and thought the same. Apparently there is a buyer from Mass. Rumor says they may be open limited weekends this year, but it'll be a stretch to get lifts inspected and everything else that goes along with it

58 minutes ago, J.Spin said:

I know folks can fret unnecessarily about early snow and its “effects” on the rest of the season, but doesn’t ’15-‘16 sort of fly in the face of that?  Isn’t that literally the dud to end all duds that puts these other seasons to shame?  It didn’t have any of that “special” early snow did it?

My comment was more in line to folks being superstitious with that post, I'm not and if snowed again in October because we start early, I won't hold that as being the reason why if the rest of the winter would be a dud, (which i don't think its going to be anyways), And, No there was no early snow that i recorded here that 15-16 season and that was another bad year here too Jay, 20" below normal.

3 hours ago, J.Spin said:

I did better in 2015-16 than in 2011-12 by a few inches.  55ish vs 46”.   26” of the 2011/12 totals came in 2 October events. So 20” or so from Nov until the epic March torch was pretty bad. 

The “Magic” October events leading to dud winters have to amount to 6”+ at ORH to count. Those stats are 100% iron clad. 

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I did better in 2015-16 than in 2011-12 by a few inches.  55ish vs 46”.   26” of the 2009/10 tots came in 2 October events. So 20” or so from Nov until the epic March torch was pretty bad. 

The “Magic” October events leading to dud winters have to amount to 6”+ at ORH to count. Those stats are 100% iron clad. 

You mean 2011-12 not 09-10 right?  

2015-16 was a complete and utter disaster up here.  153” at the ski area, with the next lowest amount being like 240” in the past 25 years.  It just crushed what we thought were the “bad winters” by like 75”+.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dryslot said:

There a lot of broken promises from that group of investors, I don't know all the details but i have my doubt's there firm will be the one that actually reopens it if at all.

Well that's a shame.

On another note I was thinking of heading up to that area just to see the stars. Based on the dark sky map it looks like a great spot.

4 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Next week looks pretty amazing though....we get stuck under that Quebec high that slowly drifts SE. Starts off probably a bit BN next week and transitions to a bit AN as the thicknesses fill in over the high.

Can't wait - I'm going up to Moosehead Lake and then as far north as Saguenay before returning home via the White Mountains.  I'm hoping I get clear weather for a trip up Mount Washington next weekend but I know what my chances are.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

You mean 2011-12 not 09-10 right?  

2015-16 was a complete and utter disaster up here.  153” at the ski area, with the next lowest amount being like 240” in the past 25 years.  It just crushed what we thought were the “bad winters” by like 75”+.

Dang.  I will edit.  Not sure why I typed 09/10

That winter wasn’t terrible here