Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

13 hours ago, dendrite said:

I saw a nasty yellowjacket nest at work. It’s like 5 in and out every second.

13 hours ago, kdxken said:

Those are the killers. Probably thousands. Somehow avoided a hurtin' yesterday after I got into this one. They have to taxi before entering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LIYCSMwOac8

Yeah 5 in and out every second is a massive nest....that rate of activity would scare the sh** out of me. The nest I killed on the eaves of our house back in July was probably 1-2 every couple seconds....I estimate it had to have 100 in there....it would have ballooned to like 500+ by now if I didn't get it. It was above our deck and with my 3 year old son liking to play out there, there was zero chance I was letting it go even if it was 15 feet up. It took me 3 cans of raid to kill it over the course of about 7-10 days.

Your youtube video looks bad too...that's a big nest with that much activity.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dr. Dews said:

I like bald faced hornets, their nests look amazing and they are crazy aggressive like yellow jackets. This is one of the better nests I've seen, might not want to rattle that thing

Only if you disturb their nest, then they go insane. White faced hornets (same thing as bald-faced) are not nearly as bad as yellow jackets though once you get away from the very immediate area surrounding their nest. They will typically go about their business without bothering you whereas a yellow jacket will be much more likely to sting you away from the nest. Yellow jackets love to get up in your business and then if you try and swat it away, it has no problem stinging you.

The white faced hornet stings are really painful though...worse than yellow jacket stings. They just don't happen as often.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only if you disturb their nest, then they go insane. White faced hornets (same thing as bald-faced) are not nearly as bad as yellow jackets though once you get away from the very immediate area surrounding their nest. They will typically go about their business without bothering you whereas a yellow jacket will be much more likely to sting you away from the nest. Yellow jackets love to get up in your business and then if you try and swat it away, it has no problem stinging you.

The white faced hornet stings are really painful though...worse than yellow jacket stings. They just don't happen as often.

Another thing is the nests of bald hornets are usually up high(er) in trees, bushes or awnings, while yellow jackets often nest low or in the ground, so it is much easier to run into them. One thing I had forgotten is that BFH are actually a type of yellow jacket wasp, but not the eastern or German type mostly associated.

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Absolutely.  Most recent example of this that I've suffered came a few years ago during our two-day "peer review" field trip.  I was about midway in a line of about 25 people, Bureau field staff plus our "Silvicultural Advisory Committee" - long-experienced non-Bureau foresters, biologists, ecologists.  I felt some stings, hollered "yellow jackets" (without seeing them, but I knew) and took off up the hill.  100 yards away we stopped to discuss some harvesting results, and one of those beasts flew past everyone else, buzzed around me a bit, and unloaded again.  No white-faced hornet would pursue even a quarter as far.

• Like 1

Just now, CoastalWx said:

Yeah most likely. Fort Kent ftw?

If we still lived in the Perley Brook section of town, my garden would be dead already.  That's where we took frost damage on July 31.  Once we moved to the back settlement on sloping land 450' higher, the growing season was about a week longer at each end. 

12 minutes ago, tamarack said:

If we still lived in the Perley Brook section of town, my garden would be dead already.  That's where we took frost damage on July 31.  Once we moved to the back settlement on sloping land 450' higher, the growing season was about a week longer at each end. 

It’s funny to think that,  but a small elevation change to the higher can extend a growing season. 

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

It’s funny to think that,  but a small elevation change to the higher can extend a growing season. 

Yup... it’s like 1500ft will see snow before my house at 750ft... but my garden will die before the gardens up at the base of the ski area. 

The first time the base area hits 32F is usually with snow or a rain to snow CAA situation along a strong autumn FROPA.  The first time I hit 32F is just a random clear night lol.

10 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Yup... it’s like 1500ft will see snow before my house at 750ft... but my garden will die before the gardens up at the base of the ski area. 

The first time the base area hits 32F is usually with snow or a rain to snow CAA situation along a strong autumn FROPA.  The first time I hit 32F is just a random clear night lol.

More or less the same here. I’ve had frost 100’ down my hill a week before me. It’s crazy. My in laws radiate like mad. They’ll hit freezing two weeks before me.

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

No white-faced hornet would pursue even a quarter as far.

Funny you say that because there's a youtube video of a couple of knuckleheads on a boat who did a drive-by whacking of one of those (BFH) nests, they were stung.. Then, even after well beyond the nest and thinking they were safe, were attacked and stung out of nowhere again. I really think it is just the aggressive and relentless nature of the family of wasp