Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

4 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Alex what was your approximate snow total for last year ...130-140ish?

Stowe area or Crawford Notch are your best snow bets.  NEK is great but isolated.  Carrabasset Valley has the longest winters but is only a jackpot every 4 or 5 years.  Not sure how much you ski but Stowe and Sugraloaf are hands down the best mountains on the East Coast.

9 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Nice over the top warm shot on the euro. That high tries to fight it off early week, but gets bullied out pretty easily. It's tough to avoid the warmth when James Bay torches. I could go for a few days of 85-90 for a last hurrah.

EPS says next Thursday Friday. Getting late for 90 fly in the ointment would be the vestiges of the tropical wave which hits the Florida panhandle mucking up 

13 hours ago, alex said:

Yes We radiate like a mofo here, so this is not at all unusual. My kid goes to school in Whitefield and they're balmy compared to us lol, so pretty much on time. Earliest I've seen it was August 17 2 or 3 years ago. 

That's impressive.  Even in Fort Kent my earliest was August 24.  Of course, I'm not sure whether the frost of July 31, 1978 was my earliest or my latest.  :o   Set back my pumpkin patch and killed beans in our next door neighbor's garden, maybe 50 feet from our pumpkins.

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

Nice over the top warm shot on the euro. That high tries to fight it off early week, but gets bullied out pretty easily. It's tough to avoid the warmth when James Bay torches. I could go for a few days of 85-90 for a last hurrah.

Seems like that's been depicted in that D6-10 ranges more often than the D2-5's     

...i dunno... maybe this time will be different

18 minutes ago, tamarack said:

That's impressive.  Even in Fort Kent my earliest was August 24.  Of course, I'm not sure whether the frost of July 31, 1978 was my earliest or my latest.  :o   Set back my pumpkin patch and killed beans in our next door neighbor's garden, maybe 50 feet from our pumpkins.

Yes that was my last year trying to grow tomatoes. I had cherry tomatoes JUST starting to turn and poom - gone. Then of course it warmed up and stayed warm for quite a while after that, but not enough for them to recover. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alex said:

Yes that was my last year trying to grow tomatoes. I had cherry tomatoes JUST starting to turn and poom - gone. Then of course it warmed up and stayed warm for quite a while after that, but not enough for them to recover. 

The owner of a logging business whose office is on the American side of the border near St.-Pamphile, PQ, had his garden wrecked on July 4th week - 4 years running before he gave it up.  :axe:

• Like 1

19 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Might break 75F tomorrow up here.

Too early to pay for heat so good to see some 65-75F afternoons in the forecast this next week.

Yeah, you said it; that’s exactly the thinking going on at our place this time of year.  It’s funny because indeed it’s getting those afternoon temperatures up that we find makes the difference for us.  On these cool fall evenings, we can shut the windows if needed, but even if they’re cracked the temperature doesn’t drop off much.  We have lots of nice windows on the south side to take in some passive solar and help warm the house, but if those daytime temperatures don’t get up into that 65-75 F range, that’s the deal breaker.  The house never gets that daytime reset, the indoor temperatures start to slide, and you have to start playing the game of when to hit the heat.

15 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Finally found someone who gives JSpin a run for his money in snow totals.  It's great having posters who live in these little microclimates showing just how snowy some pockets can get.

Yeah, the microclimate stuff is really fun.  Both our sites are in upslope land, and Alex’s site has something like 1,000’ of extra elevation as a snowfall perk, whereas we’re lower down but have the “Northern Greens first dibs” thing going on with respect to the upstream moisture sources.

What we really need are for more posters to move up into these snowy NNE microclimates so it’s not just the half dozen of us documenting and discussing so many of the storms.  Of the 64 storms we had up here last season, it would be interesting to know what percentage of them were even a blip on the SNE radar.

Just now, J.Spin said:

Yeah, the microclimate stuff is really fun.  Both our sites are in upslope land, and Alex’s site has something like 1,000’ of extra elevation as a snowfall perk, whereas we’re lower down but have the “Northern Greens first dibs” thing going on with respect to the upstream moisture sources.

What we really need are for more posters to move up into these snowy NNE microclimates so it’s not just the half dozen of us documenting and discussing so many of the storms.  Of the 64 storms we had up here last season, it would be interesting to know what percentage of them were even a blip on the SNE radar.

Quite a few. Not the best winter here. The ole' exit 18 gradient on 93 alive and well. Extend that WSW to ENE from there. I think there is a fair amount of NNE posters discussing events, but it's only you, PF, and Alex when it comes to upslope mesoscale factors. 

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Quite a few. Not the best winter here. The ole' exit 18 gradient on 93 alive and well. Extend that WSW to ENE from there. I think there is a fair amount of NNE posters discussing events, but it's only you, PF, and Alex when it comes to upslope mesoscale factors. 

Not to be a stickler, but I'd argue it's exit 23 - Meredith/New Hampton which is where snow builds in winter. This was definitely re-enforced last winter.

12 minutes ago, Angus said:

Not to be a stickler, but I'd argue it's exit 23 - Meredith/New Hampton which is where snow builds in winter. This was definitely re-enforced last winter.

Yeah you could argue that is another benchmark location. Brian knows what I mean. You get to exit 18 where it's a little higher and you enter the land of CAD.