Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September Weather Discussion 2019

dryslot

1.28" soak yesterday.   

Still no word from Josh on Great Abaco.   Only met him once at the BWI AMWX conference but we frequently message on facebook since we have similar world views.  I know he knew what he was doing but this was his most challenging chase with a stalled Cat 5 overhead.  Now that Dorian is starting to move I would guess they will start getting helicopters in late today and we will start seeing the total extent of the damage.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

September is probably our best weather month of the year. Lots of lower dews and comfortable highs and it tend to be one of the drier warm season months. It makes for awesome outdoor activities, but it's also really boring from a meteorological standpoint unless we get threatened by the rogue TC. I've always found it to be one of yhe quieter months on the forum locally...obviously for the tropical crowd, they have that to track.

Yeah I don't think it's all that much more boring than summer (unless there's thunderstorms).... but the forum loses the fishing expeditions that revolve around dew points.  Summer back in the day used to be like September on the forums until the dew point obsession really started.  The daily debate over stations, what is humid, what's not humid, where its measured, etc disappears and there's nothing left to to talk about.

It is by far the best outdoor weather month of the warm season usually though.  School starting and life pace increasing also likely plays a role.

19 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

September is probably our best weather month of the year. Lots of lower dews and comfortable highs and it tend to be one of the drier warm season months.

Indeed, it’s right smack in the middle of the August to October triumvirate of months that I really like for weather.  September is probably hands down the best chance at hitting that sweet spot of low dews while still having comfortable highs, but August can definitely deliver up here in the mountains of NVT, and boy did it deliver this year.  I know we were probably below average on August temperatures around here this year when all was said and done, but even an average August will still be quite good.  October can be more of a wild card of course, but even up here we can get those great Indian summer periods.  The other end of the October spectrum isn’t necessarily bad though when we get that mountain snow and foliage still remaining in the valleys.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yeah I don't think it's all that much more boring than summer (unless there's thunderstorms).... but the forum loses the fishing expeditions that revolve around dew points.  Summer back in the day used to be like September on the forums until the dew point obsession really started.  The daily debate over stations, what is humid, what's not humid, where its measured, etc disappears and there's nothing left to to talk about.

It is by far the best outdoor weather month of the warm season usually though.  School starting and life pace increasing also likely plays a role.

Yeah the summer has some convection too that starts to dissipate in august and september. Not that convection is a huge deal in New England, but we do get occasional severe. September only very rarely has good severe. So it's basically like summer except eliminate the severe threats and eliminate big dewpoints and eliminate potential for high end heat (like upper 90s)....it's really just kind of boring unless you get the rogue TC or a rare late season severe threat.

1 hour ago, J.Spin said:

Indeed, it’s right smack in the middle of the August to October triumvirate of months that I really like for weather.  September is probably hands down the best chance at hitting that sweet spot of low dews while still having comfortable highs, but August can definitely deliver up here in the mountains of NVT, and boy did it deliver this year.  I know we were probably below average on August temperatures around here this year when all was said and done, but even an average August will still be quite good.  October can be more of a wild card of course, but even up here we can get those great Indian summer periods.  The other end of the October spectrum isn’t necessarily bad though when we get that mountain snow and foliage still remaining in the valleys.

Agreed...August this year was amazing. There were very few days that felt uncomfortable outside. Had the windows open most of the month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MaineJayhawk said:

It takes a while for the snow butterfly to emerge from the chrysalis

1 minute ago, NorEastermass128 said:

He’s cocooned himself on one of his weakened oaks. He shall re-emerge as a hardy ACATT butterfly by Oct 1. 

It was a rough August, I think his call smarted a bit......

21 minutes ago, MaineJayhawk said:

It takes a while for the snow butterfly to emerge from the chrysalis

21 minutes ago, NorEastermass128 said:

He’s cocooned himself on one of his weakened oaks. He shall re-emerge as a hardy ACATT butterfly by Oct 1. 

Great minds think alike. 

(So don’t poor ones)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

September is probably our best weather month of the year. Lots of lower dews and comfortable highs and it tend to be one of the drier warm season months. It makes for awesome outdoor activities, but it's also really boring from a meteorological standpoint unless we get threatened by the rogue TC. I've always found it to be one of yhe quieter months on the forum locally...obviously for the tropical crowd, they have that to track.

At my place it has both the highest proportion of available sunlight and the lowest median precipitation.  (Average is 4th lowest, behind JFM.)

September only very rarely has good severe.

While that's accurate - in 46 Maine Septembers I've yet to experience a TS remotely close to severe - the largest TS-related blowdown I've seen in those years occurred in September, on the 30th no less.  600 acres got flattened east of the town of Eagle Lake, in a 4-mile-long swath that started a bit north of the Eagle-Square thoroughfare and finished by tossing spruce trees into the west end of Square Lake.  In a delicious bit of irony, that area got 3-5" snow on the same date 5 years later.

70/60  Perfect.   The sound of silence.  All the tourists are gone and the roads are empty.  No one even at the one traffic signal down in Bristol 6 miles south.  Just the cidadas loudy protesting the comings of fall and a couple of deer in the pasture eating apples.  Just the way I like it

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

70/60  Perfect.   The sound of silence.  All the tourists are gone and the roads are empty.  No one even at the one traffic signal down in Bristol 6 miles south.  Just the cidadas loudy protesting the comings of fall and a couple of deer in the pasture eating apples.  Just the way I like it

Yeah it's pretty insane how it all pretty much ends after Labor Day. We'll get another wave come leaf peeping time, but Masshole season is winding down.

• Haha 1

25 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

No!  Very few breweries actually use pumpkin in their "pumpkin beers".  Big pain in the ass and our brewer would never use an extract.

CBC used to do a pumpkinfest of sorts where people would come and smash up pumpkins for use in the brewing process. Not sure if they still do.

20 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Yeah it's pretty insane how it all pretty much ends after Labor Day. We'll get another wave come leaf peeping time, but Masshole season is winding down.

Ha,  everyone calls them Massholes up here.  I wasn't going to say that and insult 3/4 of the boards.

Peach tree and apple trees are loaded, come on by!

1 hour ago, wxeyeNH said:

Ha,  everyone calls them Massholes up here.  I wasn't going to say that and insult 3/4 of the boards.

Peach tree and apple trees are loaded, come on by!

Same up this way.  But I don't mind.  Sometimes I think I essentially live in a Boston suburb that happens to be 3 hours away in the mountains of Vermont.  They have their benefits, like bringing money which makes for nice things like infrastructure and plenty of restaurants/bars/live music etc. 

Anyway, saw some of the early turning saplings and vegetation that's losing the game of competition for resources starting to change... a sign of things to come.

46N3x4F.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Where has DIT been?  Did I miss something?

Looks like his last post was right before Scooter told him he was throwing linguini at the wall to see what would stick.  The rest of us can annoy him but it seems Will, Ryan and Scooter are the ones that get him to take mini vacations.

Honestly, probably healthier for most of us to take some time away but that's a discussion for the resident psychologist.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Looks like his last post was right before Scooter told him he was throwing linguini at the wall to see what would stick.  The rest of us can annoy him but it seems Will, Ryan and Scooter are the ones that get him to take mini vacations.

Honestly, probably healthier for most of us to take some time away but that's a discussion for the resident psychologist.

Dewmbfounded