• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
E PA/NJ/DE Fall 2019 OBS Thread

Rtd208

I ended up with a few more late showers overnight giving me a total of 0.27" yesterday.  Had some more scattered showers just after midnight for another 0.04" for today (so far).  Ended up just hitting 70 today for a high around 4:30 pm after a low of 60.  It was overcast and breezy most of the day although the sun was trying to break out earlier this afternoon giving me that 70 high but then it got obscured again.  Currently 68 and overcast.

So far today in Western Chesco Hi/Lo 77.1/65.0 (may drop lower before midnight) +7.8 above normal .

Of note tomorrow is the 20th anniversary of Hurricane Floyd....I recorded the greatest single day rain event in Chester County since records began in 1894. On that day my station measured 8.28" of rain. It was a very chilly day for the date with the temp falling much of the afternoon as the rain bands intensified coming in off the ocean and up-sloped into Western Chester County....we bottomed out at 57.4 at 9:11pm. I remember watching water rescues taking place at Route 30 and 340 in Thorndale with boats in the intersection next to the McDonalds rescuing folks who tried to drive through the flooding.

Ended up with a high of 81 yesterday after a low of 65 and 0.09" of rain from ~2:00 am.... and with the front, the dews finally dropped down into the low 50s by the late afternoon.  Today is a different story with the temp already having hit 83 and dews in the low 60s, so you can feel the humidity a bit more.  Currently clouding up and temp down to 82.  I noticed that KDIX, KDOX, and TPHL are all offline at the moment. :o

Heading to Cape May this weekend for a little three day beach vacation. The forecast (at this point) is just absolutely stellar!!! :sizzle:

Saturday
Sunny, with a high near 76.
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Sunday
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 69.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 77.

35 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Heading to Cape May this weekend for a little three day beach vacation. The forecast (at this point) is just absolutely stellar!!! :sizzle:

Saturday
Saturday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 68.
Sunday
Sunday Night
Mostly clear, with a low around 69.
Monday
Sunny, with a high near 77.

Also the waves are going to be firing.  Forecast as of now (for ocean city) is 11.5ft @ 15 seconds with offshore winds Fri morning.  Remaining at 6-8ft @ 13+ seconds through sat evening.  That means 12+ft faces at the right break.  

51 minutes ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Also the waves are going to be firing.  Forecast as of now (for ocean city) is 11.5ft @ 15 seconds with offshore winds Fri morning.  Remaining at 6-8ft @ 13+ seconds through sat evening.  That means 12+ft faces at the right break.  

I was wondering about the waves. They were pretty rough when I was down in OCMD as Dorian moved northeast. So much so that our after dinner sunset cruise stayed in the marina and back bay instead of going out in the Atlantic up the beach like it normally does.

One of the things I wanted to do was take the ferry over to Lewes, but it may be a recipe for a seasick wife if the seas are that rough...

Had a pleasant high of 76 yesterday after a low of 58 but this morning's low of 54 was fall's clarion call telling the plants to get ready (already seeing some trees turn color including some of the thornless honey locust trees)!  Amazing after over a year of above normal rain, that we have finally hit a bit of a dry (in a relative sense) spell.  Currently 57 and clear.

12 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Had a pleasant high of 76 yesterday after a low of 58 but this morning's low of 54 was fall's clarion call telling the plants to get ready (already seeing some trees turn color including some of the thornless honey locust trees)!  Amazing after over a year of above normal rain, that we have finally hit a bit of a dry (in a relative sense) spell.  Currently 57 and clear.

Same here, thought it was a little early? We have a couple cool nights coming up so lets continue the Fall foliage!

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Same here, thought it was a little early? We have a couple cool nights coming up so lets continue the Fall foliage!

The locusts have those longish strands with tiny leaves on each side and the tiny leaves will start yellowing in the fall before dropping.  I was surprised to see some of the street tree locusts around here with clusters of yellowing leaves scattered throughout the canopy.  The magnolias have gotten their fall coloration (purplish). Not seeing any maples coloring up yet though (they are the true harbingers of fall)!

Bottomed out this morning at 50.  The ISS overflight last night was great with few if any clouds (looked like there may have been some cirrus here and there).  Another opportunity tonight (about an hour earlier - just before 8 pm now) so looking forward to that. Every once in a while I check the flyover schedule so it's not like it is a major event to see these, even during the day, but with all the overcast and rain the past year, it's often been hard to catch one under ideal viewing conditions and at a good angle.

Am currently up to 59 and clear.

Made it to a high of 75 yesterday and did watch the ISS flyover last night (which was for an extended time - i.e., several minutes flying overhead).  There was a very thin deck of cirrostratus, but that did not affect the viewing.

Meanwhile the heat is coming (maybe the last gasp of mid-upper 80s or higher, but we'll see). After a "warmer" low of 55 this morning, it is currently 68 and mostly sunny, with a mix of cumulus and cirrus.

On 9/19/2019 at 8:14 AM, The Iceman said:

made it all the way down to 48F last night. feels like fall outside. we're in for quite a boring pattern these next 2 weeks.

You ain't kidding. May not see a post in this thread for days on end. No extreme heat/cold and limited precip chances. Fall foliage (if any) may be the only thing to talk about...  

Made it up to 82 here yesterday after a low of 55.  Have pretty much topped out at 86 here now after a "warmer" low of 60 but the big difference between today and yesterday is the humidity.  The dews have been running in the mid - upper 60s and you can feel it.  Currently down to 85 at the moment and mostly sunny.