Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

1 hour ago, wisconsinwx said:

Anyone know if St Louis has ever gone the whole month of September without a sub 80F high?  They have a shot at doing that, pending the next few days with projected highs around 80.

No, would be a first.  In fact, every September up to now has had at least 1 day with a high of 73 or lower.  Only 15 Septembers (records back into the 1870s for St. Louis) have failed to have at least one day with a high in the 50s or 60s, a stat which surprised me.

• Thanks 1

Guest ovweather
2 hours ago, wisconsinwx said:

Anyone know if St Louis has ever gone the whole month of September without a sub 80F high?  They have a shot at doing that, pending the next few days with projected highs around 80.

I think quite a few locations in the lower / eastern midwest have a shot at this. Louisville has had 17 days in the 90’s this month, with the rest in the 80’s. Only one day (7th) had a lowly high of 80. Also, no measurable rain for the month, thus far. Louisville has never had any month on official record without recording measurable rain. It’s a rapidly expanding drought in the lower OV with no serious relief in sight. Very high wild-fire danger, as well.

Guest ovweather
1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

Hoping we get something tonight.  It's parched around here.  Any exposed bare ground looks like a dried lake bed.  No measurable precip locally for almost the entire month.

Most of the southern half of IN, southwest OH, and all of KY are experiencing extreme dryness right now. The only thing keeping this drought from being far worse right now is the fact the first half of the year was very wet. But even with that, if this dry pattern continues deep into October, most of the region will fall into severe short-term drought status.

On 9/22/2019 at 10:24 AM, wisconsinwx said:

Today looks like a threat to the 80 degree thing.  Could come up a little short.  But either way, they should end up blowing past the old lowest high of the month of 73.

After days of LOT pounding the “heavy rain and severe flooding” drum (and more recently the severe potential drum); I ended up with a less than impressive .88” yesterday. The sump pump didn’t even fire up. Looking forward to some nice temps this week. 

Came here to see if anyone mentioned how awful the forecasting was for this one
  • Haha 1

20 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

Hoping we get something tonight.  It's parched around here.  Any exposed bare ground looks like a dried lake bed.  No measurable precip locally for almost the entire month.

17 hours ago, Jackstraw said:

This is getting ridiculous.  The N part of this front is falling apart as it comes through this area.  This is like the 3rd one over the last 3 weeks where the precip went N and S of here.

Central Great Lakes sector

Went (10) full weeks w/o meaningful qpf at my place. Cells would miss me by a few miles in any direction including firing just east. Talk about a frustrating summer with a local drought island and staring at my brown lawn for week after week! Damn near got whiffed by this "heavy rain event" as well. This has been prevalent since Feb's snowstorms had a sharp cut-off right thru here. This pattern needs to die..

51 minutes ago, King James said:

Came here to see if anyone mentioned how awful the forecasting was for this one

You can say that again! Saturday morning's map had 1.5 to 2" widespread across my area. Net event total ended up being a whopping 0.16" 

Guest ovweather

Louisville received a soaking 0.04" of rain overnight, keeping this month from going into the record books with a big goose egg for precipitation total. Still on track for the driest (and hottest) September on record (record is 0.12" in 2010).

23 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Louisville received a soaking 0.04" of rain overnight, keeping this month from going into the record books with a big goose egg for precipitation total. Still on track for the driest (and hottest) September on record (record is 0.12" in 2010).

Only 0.01" of rain at BNA today...first measurable precip all month. 

Precip.png

44 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Love seeing 2010 show up, that fall had a good amount of severe and the winter was spectacular.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

Went (10) full weeks w/o meaningful qpf at my place. Cells would miss me by a few miles in any direction including firing just east. Talk about a frustrating summer with a local drought island and staring at my brown lawn for week after week! Damn near got whiffed by this "heavy rain event" as well. This has been prevalent since Feb's snowstorms had a sharp cut-off right thru here. This pattern needs to die..

Didn't even get a 10th here.  Soybean fields around here are crazy.  Crops that are in the lowest parts of the field are full green and growing,  The others are so brown and dry they're ready for harvest, not to mention they're less than a foot tall.  You can see it field after field.  During a wetter period the ones that are doing good would be stunted and visa versa.  Corn crop is very noticeably short and stunted.  My yard was wet at 5:30 this morning when I got home it was bone dry again.  Tree's taking it hard too, the early turners are going straight to brown.

• Sad 1