• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

Monday night/Tuesday morning I was driving in to work (3:00 AM start, lived in an apartment a block away from my work until the end of August but am staying with my gf at her current place across town until our new lease starts on the 14th) in a torrential downpour most of the way. Saw the lights of a utility truck in the distance as I turned onto the street. As I got closer I saw that it was half blocking our employee driveway. A big tree had come down taking out some power lines. We were on generator power and my old apartment building was blacked out.

More storms this morning, sun's out now with a blue box in effect for an expected later round. So far September feels stormier than May and June in this neck of the woods!

RECORD EVENT REPORT 
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE INDIANAPOLIS IN
138 AM EDT THU SEP 12 2019

...RECORD HIGH MINIMUM TEMPERATURE SET WEDNESDAY AT INDIANAPOLIS...

THE MINIMUM TEMPERATURE OF 73 DEGREES ON WEDNESDAY SEPTEMBER 11 SET 
A NEW RECORD HIGH MINIMUM FOR THE DATE. THE RECORD OF 72 DEGREES WAS 
ORIGINALLY SET ON THIS DATE IN 1900...AND TIED IN 1931 AND 2013.

TEMPERATURE RECORDS BEGAN IN THE INDIANAPOLIS AREA IN 1871.

On 9/10/2019 at 9:17 PM, A-L-E-K said:

Liking garden variety odds over next couple days 

Could be more than garden variety. But seriously, I don't know what happened and I don't care, but don't be such a stranger.

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Chicago/Romeoville
118 PM CDT Thu Sep 12 2019

ILC141-121845-
/O.CON.KLOT.TO.W.0016.000000T0000Z-190912T1845Z/
Ogle IL-
118 PM CDT Thu Sep 12 2019

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 145 PM CDT FOR
SOUTHWESTERN OGLE COUNTY...

At 118 PM CDT, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
was located over Polo, or 8 miles southwest of Mount Morris, moving
east at 25 mph.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

mcd1966.gif

Guest ovweather

Unusual looking drought monitor map. Small areas of moderate drought surrounded by nothing. Usually, abnormal dryness / drought is more widespread. I do know that drought will expand down here in the lower OV with the ongoing extreme late summer heat wave under the ridge of death. No measurable rain in two weeks now.

1E42A47A-60E9-4D9C-AE9E-42A0632AA5FC.jpeg

1 hour ago, ovweather said:

Unusual looking drought monitor map. Small areas of moderate drought surrounded by nothing. Usually, abnormal dryness / drought is more widespread. I do know that drought will expand down here in the lower OV with the ongoing extreme late summer heat wave under the ridge of death. No measurable rain in two weeks now.

1E42A47A-60E9-4D9C-AE9E-42A0632AA5FC.jpeg

This is the time of year for a splotchy looking map.  Convection can cause big differences over short distances.

Guest ovweather
16 hours ago, Hoosier said:

This is the time of year for a splotchy looking map.  Convection can cause big differences over short distances.

True, but at the same time, at least down here in the lower OV, dryness / drought is usually more widespread (not as splotchy). It's desperately dry out there, and the record breaking upper 90's heat everyday isn't helping. Next week looks like more of the same. Shades of the horrific 1999 drought are starting to dance in my head.

12 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Was a pretty noisy late night/early morning with lots of thunderstorms passing through the area.  Picked up 0.81".  The yard is lush green, and rapidly growing like it did back in May/June.  A far cry from the state it was in most of July and early August.

Funny enough, my gauge also shows .81” this morning. Back to mowing 3 times a week