Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
September 2019 General Discussion

Hoosier

4 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Met fall is almost upon us.  Year just seems like it's flying by.

After a bit of a cool start especially in the first day or two, it appears a warmup may occur.  

I was just working up in Timmins Ontario (450 miles due north pretty much of Toronto) and it dipped to 32F this morning resulting in the first real frost of the season. It quickly rebounded to the low 70s and thats why I love late August/September. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Might have a shot at 90 next week.  At least upper 80s looks achievable.  This would be a little bit later than the average last 90 degree day but not wildly unusual.

Up here looks like lower 80s. Definitely hope theres a few more days of 80s but they will start to become rare fast around here. Trees seem to be changing a bit faster than usual, anyone else seeing this?  

Up here looks like lower 80s. Definitely hope theres a few more days of 80s but they will start to become rare fast around here. Trees seem to be changing a bit faster than usual, anyone else seeing this?  

Yes. The past several days I’ve been noticing most annual ground plants and bushes around here (Winnebago county IL on the WI state line) are either done or turning. A bush in our yard that always turns blaze orange after the first hard freeze, usually into October, is orange, etc. I had to ask myself if we got down into the low 30s last week but I know we didn’t. Sunshine was hard to come by this past week, I don’t know if the decreasing day length, reduced solar energy due to diminishing sun angle, and cloud cover maybe put together a triple whammy to cut the growing season a little short? No sign of tree changes yet other than the typical minor leaf shed that is right on schedule.

I’m a little over a solid degree latitude under you, so our observations could be entirely localized and different...

21 hours ago, mississaugasnow said:

I've actually seen some Maples starting to lighten up around here.  The conifers on my property are producing large cones a good 2-3 weeks ahead of time.  With the cool temps lately and the looks of the tree's would've thought we were into late Sept. not early.  As is usual with a departing strong tropical system ridging building in behind it tends to pump our temps.  But looks to be fairly short lived with the models pointing to another cool down beyond 5-7 days.  I really hope we can experience a "true" fall this year.  The falls I remember 40 years ago with comfortable to sometimes warm daytime temps and cool jacket wearing nighttime temps, heralding in high school football season, just haven't materialized in my 7 years back.  It's my favorite time of year.  Hope we actually have one this year.

Looks like we have two upcoming periods to tag the last 90(s) of the season. 

Tomorrow-Thursday and Sunday-Wednesday all have potential to be in the vicinity of 90. The biggest issues during both periods will be clouds, potential rain/t'storms and lower end UA temp thresholds. 

ORD has been sitting at 14 90+ days on the year for a while now, which is the average for the year. We'll see if we can tack on one or more, to push things above average.

I have noticed the early fall color showing up and I hope the upcoming warm weather does not screw with it. This will be the 1st real heat we've had since mid-late August.  Detroit had 10 days of 90゚ this year, which is to below average, but all 10 came between June 28 and July 29th.

Yeah with all the rain your summer basically didn’t start until June. Heck I’ve been swimming here in Columbus since the middle of May, it was noticeable on Memorial Day weekend in Toledo how fresh the leaves were

5 hours ago, nwohweather said:

Yeah with all the rain your summer basically didn’t start until June. Heck I’ve been swimming here in Columbus since the middle of May, it was noticeable on Memorial Day weekend in Toledo how fresh the leaves were

Late June at that. It was hoodie weather WELL into June. Then July was hot and humid almost continuously, and then August started hot and ended cool.

18 hours ago, Chicago Storm said:

Looks like we have two upcoming periods to tag the last 90(s) of the season. 

Tomorrow-Thursday and Sunday-Wednesday all have potential to be in the vicinity of 90. The biggest issues during both periods will be clouds, potential rain/t'storms and lower end UA temp thresholds. 

ORD has been sitting at 14 90+ days on the year for a while now, which is the average for the year. We'll see if we can tack on one or more, to push things above average.

Yeah, it's a day by day thing due to the marginal setup.  

I'd say ORD has about a 50/50 shot at hitting 90 today.  83 at 11 am and should have quite a bit of sun today.  

Is the 5 minute ob site working for you?  Data is not available for me.

2 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Yeah, it's a day by day thing due to the marginal setup.  

I'd say ORD has about a 50/50 shot at hitting 90 today.  83 at 11 am and should have quite a bit of sun today.  

Is the 5 minute ob site working for you?  Data is not available for me.

89-91 across the western/northwest suburbs right now. Immediate city area on south lagging a bit.

Looks like the site is totally down, unfortunately. Needed it one last time for these two periods.

Guest ovweather

Is this early July or September? Currently 98 degrees at both Louisville and Lexington in KY. Two of the hottest locations right now in the entire US. Life under the core of a strong ridge sure does suck. Very dry now across the entire state, so the dry ground is only helping the heat. Zero rain (even a trace) this month.

50 minutes ago, ovweather said:

Is this early July or September? Currently 98 degrees at both Louisville and Lexington in KY. Two of the hottest locations right now in the entire US. Life under the core of a strong ridge sure does suck. Very dry now across the entire state, so the dry ground is only helping the heat. Zero rain (even a trace) this month.

Impressive.  That breaks the daily record for Lexington and 98 ties the daily record for Louisville.

Guest ovweather
57 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Impressive.  That breaks the daily record for Lexington and 98 ties the daily record for Louisville.

Lexington hit 100. Louisville 99. So both records shattered. But, both the Louisville and Lexington readings are taken at the urban heat island airports where it is always 5+ degrees warmer than other areas.