• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Rowdy2x
    Newest Member
    Rowdy2x

Category Five Hurricane Dorian

29 minutes ago, Greg said:

The Labor Day Hurricane of 1935 was similar to this except that was in the Florida Keys as it passed It was equally as compact but incredibly strong. A 1938 movie sort of depicts a storm like this about the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane.

That was "Key Largo" and I think that movie was 1948. 

I'm self-aware this is banter, sorry :wacko:

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think its amazing since there isn't much of a chance for that.

Did you think there was much chance of a Carolina landfall 4 days ago?

• Like 1

Some of the structure/defoliation on these videos coming out of Abaco is incredible. At first glance, the structural damage doesnt look too bad, but you gotta keep in mind that this is the Bahamas and this type of damage is being done to rigorously built structures specifically designed to withstand major hurricanes. That is what makes this impressive to me.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Some of the structure/defoliation on these videos coming out of Abaco is incredible. At first glance, the structural damage doesnt look too bad, but you gotta keep in mind that this is the Bahamas and this type of damage is being done to rigorously built structures specifically designed to withstand major hurricanes. That is what makes this impressive to me.

These vids are probably from the most fortified areas as well. I'm sure anything near the water is gone.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hlcater said:

Look at the flipped cars here, just from the wind - https://twitter.com/julmisjames/status/1168217300887117825?s=20

So are these vids of after the storm has passed or just when folks ventured out during the eye? Cause that’s an incredible amount of damage for just one half of the storm.

3 minutes ago, Hazey said:

So are these vids of after the storm has passed or just when folks ventured out during the eye? Cause that’s an incredible amount of damage for just one half of the storm.

Just the first half of the storm, the second half will last longer.

Hopefully the recon folks will upload some videos of the flights today.  It's not very often they get to be in a storm undergoing such RI.  There was recon in there through most of this episode of Dorian.

Just now, Scott Philips said:

Running out out of ocean to make that hard right turn. I think you live Hollywood to Sebastian you may want to stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

yep, I live in Boca and I'm watching every new frame of the satellite.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

she said people tried to get to the white house across the way and the water just took them. 

Gut wrenching. Absolute panic and terror in her voice

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, WishingForWarmWeather said:

she said people tried to get to the white house across the way and the water just took them. 

Looks like there is no island left in that vid... Absolute heartbreak...

Forward speed.  Currently about 24 hours away from West Palm at its current speed and track.  Every deviation North over the next 24 or so hours increases that time to the coast exponentialy due to the east coast of Fl. bending back to the NNW.

29 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I don't think its amazing since there isn't much of a chance for that.

If the trough can dig deeper and pick up the storm quicker  , the impacts would be big for the mid Atlantic and north mid atlantic.

Not out  of the woods yet

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

Gut wrenching. Absolute panic and terror in her voice

Shes got a few children with her. This is horrifying. I can't even imagine the terror when the back end comes through. 

Just now, Jackstraw said:

Forward speed.  Currently about 24 hours away from West Palm at its current speed and track.  Every deviation North over the next 24 or so hours increases that time to the coast exponentialy due to the east coast of Fl. bending back to the NNW.

I think it’s going to end up getting 30-40 miles from the coast.  So probably a good 50% closer than most of the models currently have 

• Like 2

Just now, SnowGoose69 said:

I think it’s going to end up getting 30-40 miles from the coast.  So probably a good 50% closer than most of the models currently have 

Which would pile drive it into the Myrtle Beach area down stream... Rough guess

10 minutes ago, Scott Philips said:

Running out out of ocean to make that hard right turn. I think you live Hollywood to Sebastian you may want to stay tuned.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Worth a reminder that only a very gradual bend to the WNW is forecast for the next day and a half or so, followed by a sharper turn.  The really crucial time to watch imo is Tuesday morning.  If a more pronounced northwest/north turn hasn't shown itself then, that's a problem. 

• Like 3

A couple hours ago the eastern part of the CDO showed just a hint of warming, but since then the CDO has become more impressive than ever with very deep red.  It's too bad there won't be another plane in there for the next few hours.