• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    anathema
    Newest Member
    anathema

Category Five Hurricane Dorian

Look at the placement of the cutoff out over the Gulf at 120. With the WAR over the Mid-Atlantic, steering flow should continue to drive Dorian WNW between both features.

1 minute ago, Looking to the skies said:

Any guesses on whether it can expand in size as it gets closer to Florida?  Are will it stay a small compact storm probably?

Impossible to say given we don't know how much the interaction with Hispaniola/PR will impact the storm, not to mention the inherent unpredictability of ERCs. 

15 minutes ago, Windspeed said:

Look at the placement of the cutoff out over the Gulf at 120. With the WAR over the Mid-Atlantic, steering flow should continue to drive Dorian WNW between both features.

It seems like shear keeps it in check in the Bahamas this run. I thought it was for sure going to intensify after missing the tallest peaks in the Greater Antilles.

Might be something that could be a saving grace for the SE, though again, it’s early. I wonder how much a shift north we see from the ensembles.

Recon should be interesting tonight. Looks like deep convection is waning right now.

ETA: as I say that the microwave pass looks pretty good.

There continues to be very dry air ahead of Dorian.  Look at that desert-like relative humidity at mid level.  It's not easy to maintain deep convection in that kind of environment.

EC6rnV6XsAAzDDX.jpg

• Like 2

It seems like shear keeps it in check in the Bahamas this run. I thought it was for sure going to intensify after missing the tallest peaks in the Greater Antilles.

Might be something that could be a saving grace for the SE, though again, it’s early. I wonder how much a shift north we see from the ensembles.

Recon should be interesting tonight. Looks like deep convection is waning right now.

ETA: as I say that the microwave pass looks pretty good.

I mean if it had shown a strong system making landfall, it would have been attention worthy, sure. Eye-opening even. But too many variables that far out. The fact that it has resolved a CONUS landfalling system since the 0z is more noteworthy versus before in hardly even resolving the system. Could be a struggling TS, yes, could also have an upper environment evolve that is not resolving well at that range with two large atmospheric features juxtaposed. This is 120+ hrs out afterall and we're squeezing a TC between them. But as most have already pointed out: Hispaniola is the biggest factor in any of this and will remain that until we start seeing a NW motion by Dorian for better projected path.

Euro isn't very intense, but it's a small storm so there's definitely microcane potential here if it can survive the islands intact enough to rejuvenate. 

I surprised at how small the pressure and wind fields look on the GFS legacy and ICON. Models can grossly underestimate the intensity of these kinds of storms, and Florida has been hit with several of these in the past. 

There is another system trying to form in the western Gulf this weekend if the forecast wasn't complicated enough. That could create shear and a fujiwara.

1 hour ago, hawkeye_wx said:

There continues to be very dry air ahead of Dorian.  Look at that desert-like relative humidity at mid level.  It's not easy to maintain deep convection in that kind of environment.

EC6rnV6XsAAzDDX.jpg

About as dry as you can get lol

• Haha 1

Bear with me I know its been asked before ( even by me ) but where can I find the spaghetti maps ? Are they available on tidbits or somewhere else ( if so where can I access them ) or must you pay to get those ? Thanks in advance

2 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

Bear with me I know its been asked before ( even by me ) but where can I find the spaghetti maps ? Are they available on tidbits or somewhere else ( if so where can I access them ) or must you pay to get those ? Thanks in advance

Tropical Tidbits... Go to "Current Storms", and it will be with Dorian

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Brasiluvsnow said:

I like spaghettimodels.com for all tropical weather related content. The page updates everything on its own.

• Thanks 1

8/26/19 18Z SHIPS

SHIPS Prob RI for 20kt/ 12hr RI threshold=   9% is   1.7 times climatological mean ( 5.2%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 25kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  43% is   3.9 times climatological mean (10.9%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 30kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  31% is   4.5 times climatological mean ( 6.9%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 35kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  25% is   6.5 times climatological mean ( 3.8%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 40kt/ 24hr RI threshold=  17% is   7.0 times climatological mean ( 2.4%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 45kt/ 36hr RI threshold=  36% is   8.1 times climatological mean ( 4.5%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 55kt/ 48hr RI threshold=  31% is   6.8 times climatological mean ( 4.6%)
 SHIPS Prob RI for 65kt/ 72hr RI threshold=  21% is   3.8 times climatological mean ( 5.4%)
  • Like 1

Most of the survival tracks take a jog to the northwest over the next 36hrs. The ones that keep it going due west shred it. 

• Thanks 1

I noticed that curved band as well.  However, I'm just not crazy about the satellite presentation.  The convection needs to be organized and try to wrap around a center.  A blob that just travels along with the circulation won't help much.  Recon is almost there, so we'll get a picture of the core soon.

• Like 1

Yeah the band feature on radar appears to be a mid level vort within the strong MCS while the actual base of the surface vort / llc is a tick northeast of that feature. Clearly it has some work to do and is entraining dry air around the southern periphery into the core. Good example of how remote sensing can be a little deceiving.

• Like 1