• Member Statistics

    15,884
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    bvmcode
    Newest Member
    bvmcode
    Joined
WxWatcher007

Category Five Hurricane Dorian

Recommended Posts

Good enough for NHC I guess:

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052019
900 AM EDT Fri Sep 06 2019

...DORIAN MAKES LANDFALL OVER CAPE HATTERAS...

Surface and radar data indicate that the center of Hurricane Dorian
made landfall at 835 AM EDT (1235 UTC) over Cape Hatteras, North
Carolina.  Maximum sustained winds were near 90 mph (150 km/h) with
a minimum central pressure of 956 mb...28.23 inches.

A Weatherflow station at Ocracoke, North Carolina, recently
reported a sustained wind of 73 mph (117 km/h) and a wind gust of
89 mph (143 km/h).  Other stations at Hatteras High School and
Buxton both recently reported a minimum central pressure of 957
mb...28.26 inches.


SUMMARY OF 900 AM EDT...1300 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.3N 75.5W
ABOUT 5 MI...5 KM NE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 50 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...956 MB...28.23 INCHES
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, eyewall said:

Good enough for NHC I guess:

Hurricane Dorian Tropical Cyclone Update
NWS National Hurricane Center Miami FL       AL052019
900 AM EDT Fri Sep 06 2019

...DORIAN MAKES LANDFALL OVER CAPE HATTERAS...

Surface and radar data indicate that the center of Hurricane Dorian
made landfall at 835 AM EDT (1235 UTC) over Cape Hatteras, North
Carolina.  Maximum sustained winds were near 90 mph (150 km/h) with
a minimum central pressure of 956 mb...28.23 inches.

A Weatherflow station at Ocracoke, North Carolina, recently
reported a sustained wind of 73 mph (117 km/h) and a wind gust of
89 mph (143 km/h).  Other stations at Hatteras High School and
Buxton both recently reported a minimum central pressure of 957
mb...28.26 inches.


SUMMARY OF 900 AM EDT...1300 UTC...INFORMATION
----------------------------------------------
LOCATION...35.3N 75.5W
ABOUT 5 MI...5 KM NE OF CAPE HATTERAS NORTH CAROLINA
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...90 MPH...150 KM/H
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NE OR 50 DEGREES AT 14 MPH...22 KM/H
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...956 MB...28.23 INCHES

So they are going to call it a landfall.  It is really really close in a technical sense. ^_^

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Either way the storm appears to be an underperformer for the US. I don't think too many will complain about that though. That means the relief efforts can really focus in on the Bahamas. I look forward to the footage from Josh and Jim.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

See what Dorian has in store for the Canadian Maritimes. It's still holding together quite well. I'll be interested to see how it evolves after moving away from the coast  and how long it stays tropical.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
So they are going to call it a landfall.  It is really really close in a technical sense.

I guess they went within estimated error from center point of eye. I plotted out down to within 4 miles at closest pass but they have tools available to them such as lowest pressure points, dropsondes, recon radar from within the eye versus on land radar site and heighth of beam. Recon was still making passes. I mean technical shmectical, it was damn close regardless for Hatteras. I'm not going to dispute it nor would it matter if I did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Hazey said:

See what Dorian has in store for the Canadian Maritimes. It's still holding together quite well. I'll be interested to see how it evolves after moving away from the coast  and how long it stays tropical.

I should take a flight to PEI and ride out the storm in the cottage..  on the coast.. north facing .. should be fun

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Windspeed said:
31 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:
So they are going to call it a landfall.  It is really really close in a technical sense. emoji5.png

I guess that went within estimated error from center point of eye. I plotted out down to within 4 miles at closest pass but they have tools available to them such as lowest pressure points, dropsondes, recon radar from within the eye versus on land radar site and heighth of beam. Recon was still making passes. I mean technical shmectical, it was damn close regardless for Hatteras. I'm not going to dispute it nor would it matter if I did.

Oh sure.  I can see that within some kind of margin of error given the sheer size (in a relative sense) of that eye!  AF308 has currently been cruising all around there through that timeframe.

recon_AF308-5105A-DORIAN_dropsondes1-09062019.png

recon_AF308-5105A-DORIAN1-09062019.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It looks like the storm surge for the far eastern cape is near historic levels, I'll wait for the official numbers to come in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, mob1 said:

It looks like the storm surge for the far eastern cape is near historic levels, I'll wait for the official numbers to come in. 

They issued a flash floods emergency. Is that the normal procedure for surge? Seems like they should have a "surge emergency" for that purpose, or something along those lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

They issued a flash floods emergency. Is that the normal procedure for surge? Seems like they should have a "surge emergency" for that purpose, or something along those lines.

Was hunting around to look for surge reports but this was just tweeted from NHC Surge group -

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

The pamlico sound is a unique beast. The wind tides can literally drain one side while the water pushes up the rivers and then when the winds change direction it cons rushing back. Theres a great video from hurricane of this effect happening.

Perhaps the landfall call was based on pressure? The HH found 959 just before it reached hatteras but then hatteras recorded a 957mb. Maybe they assume the HH messed the center directly and that hatteras had a lower pressure thus had the center pass them over?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, shaggy said:

The pamlico sound is a unique beast. The wind tides can literally drain one side while the water pushes up the rivers and then when the winds change direction it cons rushing back. Theres a great video from hurricane of this effect happening.

Perhaps the landfall call was based on pressure? The HH found 959 just before it reached hatteras but then hatteras recorded a 957mb. Maybe they assume the HH messed the center directly and that hatteras had a lower pressure thus had the center pass them over?

The Chesapeake Bay does this.  During Floyd in 99 the winds pushed the water from the east side to the west until the winds shifted.  Then all that water pushed back east and surged over the banks.  Dorian is having some of this effect now due to to the easterly winds shoving the water all west until the winds change later.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.