Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Wednesday, August 7, 2019 Severe Potential

weatherwiz

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Matched the stratus exactly. If anything, I usually miss a few tips in heavy rates with over 1”, but I’ve been meticulously calibrating that tipper. Maybe I missed a few due to splashout, but gained a few because of the wind and it somehow balanced out? No clue. Close enough though.

I will say, I’ve never seen it rain as hard as it did in those few minutes. Lots of minor tree damage around and a few large branches between here and down toward Winnisquam high school.

Could just be a time thing... A few minutes of good tips recorded with the same time stamp? That is known to happen with various data loggers. I'm not sure you could record 20"/hr rates if you had the hose hooked up based on the size of the intake funnel.  And even if so splashover would be off the charts.  Not sure rain rates like that exist.

Just now, radarman said:

Could just be a time thing... A few minutes of good tips recorded with the same time stamp? That is known to happen with various data loggers. I'm not sure you could record 20"/hr rates if you had the hose hooked up based on the size of the intake funnel.  And even if so splashover would be off the charts.  Not sure rain rates like that exist.

ISP had 1.76" in 16 mins in the Aug 2014 event including 3 straight minutes of 0.14"/min. I don't believe that Unionville, MD BS of 1.00" in 1 minute, but I've seen 1-min obs like mine before. I've done 0.10"-0.14" in a min quite a few times over the past 20+ years, but it's usually without wind.

33 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Matched the stratus exactly. If anything, I usually miss a few tips in heavy rates with over 1”, but I’ve been meticulously calibrating that tipper. Maybe I missed a few due to splashout, but gained a few because of the wind and it somehow balanced out? No clue. Close enough though.

I will say, I’ve never seen it rain as hard as it did in those few minutes. Lots of minor tree damage around and a few large branches between here and down toward Winnisquam high school.

That day I had that rate of over 11”/hr was real brief. Wonder if it lasted another minute would it had been more. It was complete white out with wind. 

And yes...keeping the funnel full of water will get you way more than 17 tips in a minute. I've tried it way back when goofing around. It tips about once every 2s. I think I had 30-35 tips. The Davis max spec is 96"/hr, but I have no idea how they get that. Even doubling my rate gets you about 35 tips. You'd need about 75 tips to achieve that. I'm not sure I could tip it that quickly with just my hand.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dendrite said:

And yes...keeping the funnel full of water will get you way more than 17 tips in a minute. I've tried it way back when goofing around. It tips about once every 2s. I think I had 30-35 tips. The Davis max spec is 96"/hr, but I have no idea how they get that. Even doubling my rate gets you about 35 tips. You'd need about 75 tips to achieve that. I'm not sure I could tip it that quickly with just my hand.

Thanks.

As an aside, I have been receiving one minute data from 5 Davis gauges scattered across DFW airport for about a year now.  A quick check revealed only 17 minutes (combined) where a gauge reported over .1" in a minute.  All but 3 were .12 or less.  On 9/22/18, 3rd wettest day at DFW airport all time (>8"), at the same gauge we had .14 and .19" in a three minute span.  And in between... .63".  Otherwise the gauge data looks perfectly normal and have never had any other outliers like that.  

Hard to explain this sort of thing in sensor data.  Inclination is to toss, but I guess you never know.