Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2019-2020 Discussion

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, SnowEMass said:

Lots of near and far misses in recent years. 

As opposed to the more accurate seasonal forecasts prior to that :) 

Not trying to be a dink but, ... I don't think there's ever really been a boon era for seasonal forecasts.  Some year, some individual seems to do have done particularly well.. And there's this propensity for adulation and 'rock-starring' - which is eye-rolling in most cases.  But, that same individual's dice don't roll the seven on the fire bet that next year, and tho they may have won some residual clout for having had the one stellar performance, it's usually someone else's turn to roll an eleven and score.   

There are some techniques that can be considered, that may improve one's vision over climatology ( or the opposite if they're bad at this shit...), but frankly, there are key systemic, global changes that are becoming increasingly coherent spanning the last couple of decades, and until I start reading in plain text that the author is including those facets ( much less ...are even aware) than it's all really just crap- shoot entertainment in my estimation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hazey said:

The difference this season is that hopes aren’t inflated like last year. If this winter is sub normal, at least there was some indication that it could happen so not as much of a let down. Time will tell.

I joked ... and of course got zero likes ( muah haha ), forecasting the dreaded apocalyptic "nosnowmegettin' " winter -  does anyone have the plumbs to forecast that?   

I mean, take out the 2012 Halloween storm that was a pretty frickin' close to an an apocalyptically bad winter, and should show that if we can get that close - it's kind of like deep field astronomy and this S.E.T.I stuff.  The old argument, if it can happen once in a cosmos that for all intents and purposes is so vast that to attempt to conceive of it in any finite terms pretty much escapes all effective meaning and therefore ...doesn't exist, that means that it probably happened more than once.   I submit that in a GW/cc world, one that's already put up a year like that one, it's just a matter of time.  

That person that makes that call and is is proven right?  I got a hunch they go down in history as the the most buried unsung genius ever - haha

22 hours ago, weathafella said:

Great vs no rats doesn’t leave room for the middle which I think happens.

Last winter was normal snowfall here but it sucked, so it was a ratter imo. So I can consider a season ‘great’ but still relatively close to normal snow wise. I don’t always necessarily equate the two as being contingent upon each other. I want BN temps, constant tracking from Dec-Feb, snow falling or otg around the holidays, etc. If we have mostly nickel and dime events making it feel like winter for the majority of the season, I can consider that to ‘great...even if the total snow measurement doesn’t add up to indicate that it was.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Last winter was normal snowfall here but it sucked, so it was a ratter imo. So I can consider a season ‘great’ but still relatively close to normal snow wise. I don’t always necessarily equate the two as being contingent upon each other. I want BN temps, constant tracking from Dec-Feb, snow falling or otg around the holidays, etc. If we have mostly nickel and dime events making it feel like winter for the majority of the season, I can consider that to ‘great...even if the total snow measurement doesn’t add up to indicate that it was.

If you get most of your snow in March and it melts the next day and most of the other storms are last minute whiffs and other fake-outs, that's a crappy winter regardless of the totals, IMO

• Like 1

On 11/10/2019 at 2:35 PM, Snowy Hibbo said:

https://longrangesnowcenter.net/2019/11/10/north-american-winter-outlook-2019-20/

So here is my final write-up for the North American winter. Analysis throughout of course, and results/conclusions towards the bottom. Forecast map below.

4DA5BCFD-21F2-4ED5-A724-EECAD9ECFF6D.jpeg.171df9cf607bcd056a1f1eb502627cb9.thumb.jpeg.c9240440a89c86531ed894b57ef30ebb.jpeg

Any sense on temperature or precipitation anomalies by month? I.e. what you expect to be the most extreme periods? My stuff implied some pretty powerful cold for a while, but also some early/late winter warm ups.

3 hours ago, raindancewx said:

Any sense on temperature or precipitation anomalies by month? I.e. what you expect to be the most extreme periods? My stuff implied some pretty powerful cold for a while, but also some early/late winter warm ups.

I’d say for New England roughly:

• Average-mildly below average for Dec.
  • Similar, maybe a bit colder for Jan.
  • Below average temps in Feb.

I’m going with a reasonably good wider Christmas/NY period (mid-late Dec, maybe into Jan) and improving snow conditions after a potential SSW in mid Jan-Feb at this point. This of course changes.

16 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

What are the specifics ratting last season?   Honestly I can’t remember other than we were expecting significantly better.

18 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

That’s 1993-94.  Lots of 6-10 events and cold.  But to me, 3 storms of 2 feet plus and nothing else is better than that spread over a 3 month period.

2 hours ago, weathafella said:

What are the specifics ratting last season?   Honestly I can’t remember other than we were expecting significantly better.

We did basically go the entire month of December and the first half of January snowless. That's pretty bad. We did make up some ground after that but it wasn't enough. If you were closer to where iceberg was, they didn't get the brunt of the 3/4 storm either so they didn't have that signature 12-16" event to hang their hat on like those near BOS did. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Biggest snows in Nov and Mar with many rainers DJF, that is a rat imo. I couldn’t care less that we fell around normal snow climo when I saw rain drops with practically every system during the heart of the season. The cold always came after the systems passed. Definition of an 80s winter. 

Pack retention was pretty crappy...definitely '80s-esque....ORH had about 55 days of pack last winter and 10 of them came in November with 0 in December and only 9 in January. Average for the season is about 74-75 days.

• Like 1