Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

42 minutes ago, Angus said:

What would be your binding recommendation? Giving some thought to a purchase of a AT setup

I would recommend the salomon/armada/atomic shift binding.  They are pricey, around $350 but they are a great touring option.  They switch from pin bindings to traditional alpine binding for the descent.  They are a bit heavier than tech bindings and a bit lighter than a Marker F12(no need for tech inserts). 

I have dynafit beasts so I have gone full tech binding.  I went this route for two reasons. 1.  Cost, the beasts were the best price at the time  2. I have several pairs of straight alpine skis in my quiver so a dedicated touring rig is good for me.  This will be new for me as I have been touring on a pair of marker dukes I won way back in 2010.  They have been heavily abused over the years but are still alive and well.  The weight difference will be the biggest for me, I'm looking forward to the relief. 

so you recommend the shift binding but went full tech binding (the dynafit beasts)? Can you elaborate. I would probably want a dedicated ski/boot/binding for ski touring. Along with downhill skiing, I'm a 50+ day a year nordic guy too. My big concern would be the boot. I'm a now middle-aged, broken down former competitive distance runner so fit and comfort of boot is super important to me.

5 minutes ago, Angus said:

so you recommend the shift binding but went full tech binding (the dynafit beasts)? Can you elaborate. I would probably want a dedicated ski/boot/binding for ski touring. Along with downhill skiing, I'm a 50+ day a year nordic guy too. My big concern would be the boot. I'm a now middle-aged, broken down former competitive distance runner so fit and comfort of boot is super important to me.

If you are looking for something for both alpine and touring the shift is great.  But if you are looking for super light touring only tech bindings are good.  Tech bindings aren't the greatest on groomers and can struggle with downhill if pushed hard.  

https://mountwashingtonavalanchecenter.org/east-side-closure-lifts-monday-june-8/?fbclid=IwAR04XMKaY7amlMF4XVSLBB8FHBiwhQjmskdz1sy3dxfPnNSjJ_Ilzs0DfB8

Well this changes my weekend plans a little.  I wont boot it up into Tucks, been there done that.  I definitely would hit East snowfields though. Very relaxing and fun place to ski.  

I hiked up from Pinkham Notch last Memorial Day to the summit and just compared my photos to the webcam. probably a good 400' of skiing in upper snowfield. I only took run before sliding and hiking over to left gully. it is a gentle slope and fun party atmosphere.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

I hiked up from Pinkham Notch last Memorial Day to the summit and just compared my photos to the webcam. probably a good 400' of skiing in upper snowfield. I only took run before sliding and hiking over to left gully. it is a gentle slope and fun party atmosphere.

I saw Killington from I-89 southbound in the Orange Heights and man was Superstar looking buried.  Even my wife was like holy shit is that wall to wall snow. You can’t see the lowest break in the snow from the highway but that top 2/3rds looks damn impressive glistening white in the sun from a distance.

5 hours ago, Angus said:

I find it is I much more fun than tuckerman’s proper.  The crowds are more manageable and the hiking is a lot easier.  Plus it’s the easiest access above treeline skiing in the east.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

First year in many I doubt we will be getting passes early. Feel like it is quite a gamble given Vermont's restrictions to out of state residents and no real guarantees from ski areas yet. Will be doing a lot more uphill I think or staying around Berkshire East sadly. 

• Like 1