Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

On 3/15/2020 at 11:01 PM, GCWarrior said:

Berkshire East was pretty awesome today!  A couple small gatherings there. Nothing crazy though.  Hopefully we can continue to skin and ski for while.  

A friend of mine who is part of Wachusett’s snowmaking crew was skinning yesterday. He said a decent number were there.  8 feet on some parts of some trails.  Very skiable. 

Had fun at WaWa this afternoon. Fair # of people hiking with skis, skinning or just families hiking on the slopes. Going up to the summit between noon and 1, there wasn't much softening. The east facing slope - Minuteman chair - had much nicer and softer snow. There was even a bump line to be skied. May go up early Tuesday for turns if weather forecast is correct. There is quite a bit of snow on trails as reported.

• Like 1

Did a quick trip up Mount Snow yesterday. Limited on time so I went up under the canyon quad and up onto ripcord.  Then all the way down back to the lot.  Nice little trip.  
It wasn’t too busy up there.  Local people taking their kids sledding on the bunny hill.  A few people hiking on different routes.  Being alone I found it very easy to stay away from other people.  I’d bet today is going to put some pressure to close uphill traffic as it’s supposed to be really nice. i hope people can stay away and keep things open for a while long.  There is a ton of snow up there.  

DD2DFA58-BF64-4849-9328-EEDCE1D11827.jpeg

4E7BC0F0-0F4D-42C5-AC64-AB2B9153D010.jpeg

2C4C8B6F-A676-4610-9915-69F8B58E2664.jpeg

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Did a quick trip up Mount Snow yesterday. Limited on time so I went up under the canyon quad and up onto ripcord.  Then all the way down back to the lot.  Nice little trip.  
It wasn’t too busy up there.  Local people taking their kids sledding on the bunny hill.  A few people hiking on different routes.  Being alone I found it very easy to stay away from other people.  I’d bet today is going to put some pressure to close uphill traffic as it’s supposed to be really nice. i hope people can stay away and keep things open for a while long.  There is a ton of snow up there.  

DD2DFA58-BF64-4849-9328-EEDCE1D11827.jpeg

4E7BC0F0-0F4D-42C5-AC64-AB2B9153D010.jpeg

2C4C8B6F-A676-4610-9915-69F8B58E2664.jpeg

Ripcord brings back memories. First double I ever did as a kid.

Another day yesterday at WaWa. From last weekend, equivalent # of skiers but more hikers and the hikers were definitely families; and if had to speculate, groups of multiple families or couples not practicing good social distancing. Definitely shaking my head. Really no snow loss higher up mountain. They have pushed snow at base up the hill to facilitate melting? Basically took multiple runs on a couple different bump runs. Came home and roller skied around my neighborhood. Expect I will be back again. My son said he expects his next skiing will be the auto road on mt. Washington but I doubt it opens until the pandemic is in better place.

• Like 1

On 3/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, Angus said:

Another day yesterday at WaWa. From last weekend, equivalent # of skiers but more hikers and the hikers were definitely families; and if had to speculate, groups of multiple families or couples not practicing good social distancing. Definitely shaking my head. Really no snow loss higher up mountain. They have pushed snow at base up the hill to facilitate melting? Basically took multiple runs on a couple different bump runs. Came home and roller skied around my neighborhood. Expect I will be back again. My son said he expects his next skiing will be the auto road on mt. Washington but I doubt it opens until the pandemic is in better place.

I thought about this as well.  The auto road usually opens in early to mid may.  I’m highly doubting things are in a better place by then.  

• 3 weeks later...

50 minutes of nordic skiing this morning in a playing field adjacent to my house. Classic style but I've been out maybe a half dozen times on my roller skis since my last skinny ski at Tremblant six weeks ago. I was gliding on a lot wet grass at times - we got about 2" of compacted snow. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

they shut T4T down last year or year before...there is an archive out in the cloud somewhere.

It has to be 5 or 6 weeks ago, they asked that people behave responsibly and the ravine was a crap-show so they moved in barriers all along rt 16. A friend was riding his motorcycle up there last week and said, any and all parking spaces and turn-outs are now blocked. The National Forest has closed most if not all their trailhead parking spots throughout the white mountains.

50 minutes ago, Angus said:

they shut T4T down last year or year before...there is an archive out in the cloud somewhere.

It has to be 5 or 6 weeks ago, they asked that people behave responsibly and the ravine was a crap-show so they moved in barriers all along rt 16. A friend was riding his motorcycle up there last week and said, any and all parking spaces and turn-outs are now blocked. The National Forest has closed most if not all their trailhead parking spots throughout the white mountains.

They're opening the Jersey Shore for Memorial Day weekend and yet people can't go ski Tuckermans... Ugh!

Looking at Killingtons webcams, I can't believe how much snow they have for mid May.  A combination of a cold spring and no skiers and boarders pushing the snow all over which must speed up melting.  My son said that Mt. Bachelor in Oregon is opening back up for their last week.  2 chairs and 500 pass-holders a day.  They apparently sell out instantly.  1-2 people per quad chair socially distancing.  Gloves and face masks required at all times.  Sounds crazy stressful if you read the pages and pages of rules lol  They have a crap ton of snow out there.  

• Like 1

Hiked up and summited Cannon this morning slightly before 7:30. Absolutely spectacular, cloudless and deep blue . Skied Upper Cannon to Middle Cannon over to Extension and then down Zoomer. Had to take my skis off 4 times I think and walk probably a total of 30 yards. The top of the mountain is loaded with snow. Around the summit, there is easily 3-4 feet of snow in the woods. Upper Cannon was nice where the sun had softened up the snow. Middle Cannon was shaded, hard and icey. It is a horrible trail anyway. Extension and Zoomer had been in the sun for a good long time and both were fantastic. Skiing the top of zoomer and looking down to a glistening Echo Lake with a few boats on it was cool.

That's probably it for me. I doubt I will get to Mount Washington.

Profile/Cannonball looked great by the way...if I had time, I just go up there and lap it one of these nice upcoming afternoons.

Took the dog up and he seemed to enjoy himself.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm going to declare my season officially over.  I thought I would be able to make a run at the presidentials but it never really panned out with this quarantine going on.  I haven't skied since march 28th but I did manage to get more days in than the ugly 2015-16 season, so I'd say that alone is a small win.  Overall though i'm going to forget this ski season and move onto the next one.  Put my stimulus check partly to good use with the purchase of a new touring setup.