Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

6 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Berkshire East was making snow last night/this morning.  Great effort by them.  I wish Wachusett had taken advantage of the cold nights/mornings

Skied Wawa today for a couple hours.  Still lots of snow for the most part.  Big piles of LSGR.  Also pretty big crowds, but I'm happy for them making money.

• Like 1

drove up to Tremblant on Friday and nordic skied Friday and this morning (Sunday) before heading home. Downhill skied on Saturday. A couple of observations, the mountain skis much bigger than the vertical. Couldn't quite figure out why other than it has a bunch of subpeaks and a 'north' and 'south' side. It is a fun mountain. A good amount of tree skiing for all abilities, all of which is very well cleaned out - mostly hardwoods anyway - and the coverage was deep enough that we never encountered any stumps or rocks and tree limbs sticking out of the snow. Lot's of uphill lift capacity but also big crowds. Skied with daughter and son and we mostly just hopped in single's line to maximize our vertical. They have a lot of snowmaking capacity and they appear not to be shy about using it. They have a good base but hadn't had any recent snow and maybe a little bit of rain but as I said to my son, 'it's still eastern skiing.' on the main routes down the hill, there was a fair amount of boilerplate and the steep trails had man-made boilerplate interspersed with powdery bumps - definitely should have sharpened my edges before heading up. The nordic trail network was tremendous. Having skied essentially a 600m loop on a golf course all winter, getting out into the woods for kilometers of well groomed trails was awesome. We stayed at what I guess would be described as a boutique hotel adjacent to the 'ski village' and was able to access the nordic network from my hotel with less than a 1/4 mile walk The Laurentian region is beautiful. The other thing that was very cool was all the smallish sized ski areas north of montreal - all looking very busy. 

On 3/8/2020 at 9:11 AM, HoarfrostHubb said:

Berkshire East was making snow last night/this morning.  Great effort by them.  I wish Wachusett had taken advantage of the cold nights/mornings

They want to make it to April.  Looking like they may fire up the guns again this upcoming weekend. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

GFS trying hard to make the IFSA east finals at Jay Peak somewhat snowy.  Euro seems to moving more in that direction as well for Friday.  
If it doesn’t snow....yikes! Cold Saturday after rain and warmth.  Never a recipe for good skiing.  

I was just thinking this weekend could be a glacier. Sunday was pure, perfect spring conditions. Had a really great time riding soft, but not too soft conditions.

On 3/10/2020 at 5:58 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I was just thinking this weekend could be a glacier. Sunday was pure, perfect spring conditions. Had a really great time riding soft, but not too soft conditions.

Further south the better this weekend. Not looking like any snow in the northern greens friday.  Berkshire East, Catamount, Bromley with it's south facing slopes. 

6 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Further south the better this weekend. Not looking like any snow in the northern greens friday.  Berkshire East, Catamount, Bromley with it's south facing slopes. 

Yup, this weekend looks cold enough up north to keep it icy and firm.  Today may have been the worst day of the season with the solidly below freezing temps after rain and warmth.  The top snow layer has melted back to the glacial base (still very deep, but it's packed ice essentially) and there isn't much groomers can do with that when its 15-25F.

This weekend with more rain coming Friday and then colder weather Saturday/Sunday that won't break freezing in the Northern Greens will lead to some real rugged skiing.

We are at the point where the temperature needs to be above freezing for it to be worth skiing, unless it snows, which doesn't look likely anytime soon.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Yup, this weekend looks cold enough up north to keep it icy and firm.  Today may have been the worst day of the season with the solidly below freezing temps after rain and warmth.  The top snow layer has melted back to the glacial base (still very deep, but it's packed ice essentially) and there isn't much groomers can do with that when its 15-25F.

This weekend with more rain coming Friday and then colder weather Saturday/Sunday that won't break freezing in the Northern Greens will lead to some real rugged skiing.

We are at the point where the temperature needs to be above freezing for it to be worth skiing, unless it snows, which doesn't look likely anytime soon.

Sort of hoping the ski comp is postponed at Jay this weekend.  Purely for the spectator side of things.  No one skis hard or gets creative when it’s coral reef.  It is just survival skiing. 

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Looks like some upslope action on the nam for Friday night in the northern greens..  Maybe the weekend at Stowe and jay could be saved if we get a 6-12 hour window of some decent upslope snows on top of the glacier that looks likely.  Anyone have any thoughts?

Dust on crust. Your going to need a solid dump to fix things. The southern greens look like they are already in trouble. Season looks extra short this year

Mount Snow was pretty decent today.  Then actually had a lot more coverage in the woods/natural snow trails than I was expecting.  There were a lot of rocks and stumps sticking out.   Morning was really tough but after lunch was pretty awesome, soft spring corn.  

I assume my ski season is done. I honestly don't understand how packed onto a ski lift even in the open, moving air is not going to cause transmission. The profit at this point is minimal to the areas - PF could confirm. I just worry about the seasonal labor being terminated 3-4 weeks early. I just finished reading an article in the NYTimes about some of the modeling the CDC has been doing and it is scary stuff.

14 hours ago, Angus said:

I assume my ski season is done. I honestly don't understand how packed onto a ski lift even in the open, moving air is not going to cause transmission. The profit at this point is minimal to the areas - PF could confirm. I just worry about the seasonal labor being terminated 3-4 weeks early. I just finished reading an article in the NYTimes about some of the modeling the CDC has been doing and it is scary stuff.

11 weeks early??  No thanks

I'll be interested to hear any reports from ski areas about how the skiers followed the guidance provided by the resorts...example an excerpt from Vail properties that I've received multiple times now..."We will ask guests to ride on chairlifts and gondolas with their parties only. We ask for our guests’ patience while we implement this new protocol. We will post signage with social distancing reminders and our employees will be on site to help encourage safe protocols."