• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Skied at Bretton Woods today. Good size crowds and they stayed all day. Chose BW instead of Cannon and was the right choice. Very good coverage on man-made trails. Even skied some lower angle wood and natural snow trails and they were manageable. The gondola is nice - took two trips up at end of day after lines had abated. BW isn't my thing terrain wise but they do a really nice job for their customer. Fun day.

Hit Sugarbush on Sat and Killington today. Snow at Sugarbush was nicer, softer. Castle rock was a blast, just opened Thursday. Lincoln was crowded but Ellen wasn’t. Slide Brook lift was a blast. Just opened Sat cause they had to wait for enough snow underneath it for snowmobile access in the event of an evac. Still need more snow but a great day overall. KMart was firmer and no lines. Thank you Super Bowl. Woods in Ramshead were fun! Notched 20,000 vertical. Legs are shot lol.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Hit Sugarbush on Sat and Killington today. Snow at Sugarbush was nicer, softer. Castle rock was a blast, just opened Thursday. Lincoln was crowded but Ellen wasn’t. Slide Brook lift was a blast. Just opened Sat cause they had to wait for enough snow underneath it for snowmobile access in the event of an evac. Still need more snow but a great day overall. KMart was firmer and no lines. Thank you Super Bowl. Woods in Ramshead were fun! Notched 20,000 vertical. Legs are shot lol.

Damn nice weekend 

3 hours ago, GCWarrior said:

Nice Super Bowl tailgate at Berkshire East yesterday.  Skiing was pretty awesome for manmade.  I definitely like that they leave some features in the groomed surface.  

4314D388-0B2F-423B-881A-A403E7219048.jpeg

I can't believe we have another poster from Franklin Co!    Make sure you post in obs threads too!

But yeah, Berkshire has done a great job considering how winter has gone.  Saturday was great snow all day.

23 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I think when they mean they will open for 2020 is they will get the lower learning lift open for people to just cruise around.  Not sure they will get much more up and running this year.  
Having skied every medium to large ski resort in New England and many out west  I can say Saddleback is the closest to western skiing I’ve experienced in the east.    Incredible snow park retention, makes it seem like they get a lot more snow than many New England mountains.  They get around 220” of snow a year compared to Sugarloafs 200”.  Couple this with less skier traffic and a high base elevation you have natural snow well into may pretty much every season up there.  

Nice Super Bowl tailgate at Berkshire East yesterday.  Skiing was pretty awesome for manmade.  I definitely like that they leave some features in the groomed surface.  
4314D388-0B2F-423B-881A-A403E7219048.thumb.jpeg.8683b9bd0e3e84677143e7f7413e9015.jpeg
I can't believe we have another poster from Franklin Co!    Make sure you post in obs threads too!
But yeah, Berkshire has done a great job considering how winter has gone.  Saturday was great snow all day.
I was there both sat and sun, should have said hi!

They need some natural snow, but what they've got open is great.

I was surprised at the crowd on Sunday. If you're headed up there next Sunday, come early because there's a big race. The parking lot and lodge will be a disaster. I'll be there at 630am. Ugh.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

On 2/2/2020 at 8:49 PM, snowgeek said:

Went with your reviews and did sugarbush instead of k-mart  today.  Any blue groomers off super bravo were slick and beat.  Castle rock was by far the best area.  The snow quality held up well, tho you really had to watch the rocks.  they have a decent base, but def need the refresh coming later this week..oh, and the top of mt. Ellen like f.i.s., death trap until they refresh.  Great day tho....my advice would be to just stay in castle rock or mid mountain blacks on mt. Ellen the next couple days if anyone goes up.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/waterville-valley-resort-master-plan-120010442.html

Much needed!

WV is pretty boring, but it's gotten better with the expansion of Green Peak (and they still need more glades). Connecting the mountain to the Village would push WV on par with BW and Loon. Maybe even an experience unlike any other in NH if done right. 

Hit Bretton Woods Sunday. Had an absolute blast. That mountain has come a LONG way since the 80's. Dare I say it, but it's my favorite NH mountain. 

11 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Is that Middle Earth on Castlerock?  We did that trail too.  Sweet run!!!

Yep...great trail; seems like it goes on forever and has that middle of the woods feel.  Castlerock run and paradise were good too.  Didn’t hit rumble because the cliffs on Liftline to get in looked slick and beat and with those conditions, they were probably past my ability level.  Looking forward to getting back in the glades at jay next week.  They should be sick if the forecast holds.

On 2/3/2020 at 5:49 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Had a great weekend at Stratton with firm groomers offering plenty of speed. Even in crap winters there are good days to be had if you put in the time. 

It's almost impossible to predict conditions from home. I'm a ski patroller and way more often than not I bitch my way to the mountain, expecting the worst, and get  nicely surprised.

5 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

I don't go up there often due to price, but it's a great mountain and surrounding area. Lots of great restaurants and breweries in the area to check out.  Have fun. 

Since my pass covers Stowe, I felt this would be the perfect weekend. Though it will be cold especially tomorrow.