• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

Haven't made it up north since Wildcat in November but for what it is Berkshire East has been pretty good lately.  Yesterday was unsurprisingly very icy despite just sharpening my skis.  But it's still fun to get out.  I'll hope we get a decent February this year, it tends to be the only time we get decent snow.  January always plays out exactly like this one has so far!  Plenty of month left to go though.  

21 hours ago, snowgeek said:

To cheer you guys up, check out this article. Glad we’re alive to enjoy skiing while skiing exists lol.

http://www.impactlab.org/news-insights/americas-shrinking-ski-season/

Interesting, but they left out one key factor. Warmer temps result in atmosphere holding more moisture.

I remember reading a study that tried to determine whether a more recent glacier could have occured in the Great Gulf. I want to say it was dependent upon lower temperatures or increased precip (or a combination of both).

On 1/6/2020 at 5:44 PM, MarkO said:

I skied in Summer ski camp in Europe in July of 1985. I skied at Stubai, Austria, Zermatt, Switzerland, Tignes, France and ValSenales, Italy. Currently the only area still offering skiing all Summer is Zermatt. The other areas don't have enough snow cover remaining on their glacier's past August 1st to allow for skiing all Summer.

Global warming might be increasing the precipitation, but Summer snow levels are higher, with rain falling on glacial ice.

Thinking of going to Killington our Pico Saturday. They got lots of snow this week and seemed to get the upslope bullseye. Killington is about 90% open and Pico 100%. Worried about rain and fog. Also worried that snow might be wet and sticky. Seems like when it’s powdery and then gets warm, the snow can be weird. Needs a few freezes and thaws to turn into nice corn.

I skied in Summer ski camp in Europe in July of 1985. I skied at Stubai, Austria, Zermatt, Switzerland, Tignes, France and ValSenales, Italy. Currently the only area still offering skiing all Summer is Zermatt. The other areas don't have enough snow cover remaining on their glacier's past August 1st to allow for skiing all Summer.
Global warming might be increasing the precipitation, but Summer snow levels are higher, with rain falling on glacial ice.

That sounds so cool! I agree that some areas might see more snow fall for a while but I think the pack will suffer with more rain and warm temps too. Sad.

17 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Great pics!! It’s amazing how a good skier and photographer can make any powder look super deep.

Most of that was untouched from this week’s snow... so they are turning in about 12-18” of consolidated powder.  Plenty deep!  We just finished a nice run of 19” in 5 days.  Hunt the untracked and it skied like over a foot.  But yeah, the speed at which these guys ski the woods is what makes photos.  Fluffy snow and high rates of speed make that stuff explode.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Most of that was untouched from this week’s snow... so they are turning in about 12-18” of consolidated powder.  Plenty deep!  We just finished a nice run of 19” in 5 days.  Hunt the untracked and it skied like over a foot.  But yeah, the speed at which these guys ski the woods is what makes photos.  Fluffy snow and high rates of speed make that stuff explode.  

I'm thinking tomorrow may not be worth the trip to Killington.  If I knew it would ski like a nice spring day, I'd go, but I'm thinking rainy, windy, foggy, drizzly with sticky snow. I don't mind getting a little wet, but tomorrow looks pretty nasty.  Thoughts?

Mt. Bachelors forecast!  My son is going this weekend.  I'll be out there in February.  Stoked!

This Afternoon

Snow. Temperature falling to around 21 by 5pm. Breezy, with a southwest wind 23 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Tonight
Snow. Steady temperature around 19. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a west wind 30 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow. Areas of blowing snow after 10am. Temperature rising to near 23 by 10am, then falling to around 15 during
the remainder of the day. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a west wind 26 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -4. Windy, with a west wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Sunday
Snow. High near 22. Windy, with a west wind 26 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.
New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Sunday Night
Snow. Low around 12. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Monday
Snow. High near 17. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

4 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Mt. Bachelors forecast!  My son is going this weekend.  I'll be out there in February.  Stoked!

This Afternoon

Snow. Temperature falling to around 21 by 5pm. Breezy, with a southwest wind 23 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 41 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 100%. Total daytime snow accumulation of 4 to 8 inches possible.

Tonight
Snow. Steady temperature around 19. Wind chill values as low as -1. Windy, with a west wind 30 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 47 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 11 to 17 inches possible.

Saturday
Snow. Areas of blowing snow after 10am. Temperature rising to near 23 by 10am, then falling to around 15 during
the remainder of the day. Wind chill values as low as -5. Breezy, with a west wind 26 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 38 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Saturday Night
Snow. Low around 17. Wind chill values as low as -4. Windy, with a west wind around 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph.
Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 7 to 11 inches possible.

Sunday
Snow. High near 22. Windy, with a west wind 26 to 31 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

Sunday Night
Snow. Low around 12. Windy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 10 to 14 inches possible.

Monday
Snow. High near 17. Breezy. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 9 to 13 inches possible.

Some pretty cold systems moving into the PAC NW....definitely not Cascade Concrete in those storms.

14 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

I'm thinking tomorrow may not be worth the trip to Killington.  If I knew it would ski like a nice spring day, I'd go, but I'm thinking rainy, windy, foggy, drizzly with sticky snow. I don't mind getting a little wet, but tomorrow looks pretty nasty.  Thoughts?

Jay put on their snow report to basically, stay home this weekend.  They all but guarantee any upper mountain lift will be on wind hold and don’t expect this weeks conditions (like pf is posting from Stowe). I would expect the same all over Vt.  Killington, Stowe and jay did really well this week so I don’t think this weekend’s crap will be a total wipeout.  They should recover quickly and next weekend looks better.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snowgeek said:

This Afternoon

Tonight

Saturday

Saturday Night

Sunday

Sunday Night

Monday

Lol, that's like 60" in 5 days.