• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

What a needed refresh this was up at jay..it was almost unskiable earlier in the week, but it’s just enough packed powder today.  They dropped a ton of ropes even in the glades.  Awesome out there and it looks like we could get a good upslope dumping in the next few days.  I would guess stowe is much improved as well.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, bch2014 said:

Anyone skied Hunter lately?

Debating whether I want to drive up from the city in the AM to get some NYD turns in (I have the Peak Pass). Obviously expecting lots of ice/scratch but want to make sure trails are well covered...

I think coverage is fine..was there last week and they had blown a TON of snow during that cold few days..might be icy; not sure how they got thru yesterday but the coverage was there. 

I had one of my favorite mornings at Stratton of all time yesterday. I made sure to be there for first chair and had the place to myself until about 10 when everyone started showing up after New Years party’s. The 2” of sleet and ice had filled in gaps and 6” of snow over the following two days made for deceptively great conditions. Obviously it wasn’t enough to call it epic as it gets beat hard by afternoon. But for that golden 1.5 hours it was truly special.

1 hour ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

I had one of my favorite mornings at Stratton of all time yesterday. I made sure to be there for first chair and had the place to myself until about 10 when everyone started showing up after New Years party’s. The 2” of sleet and ice had filled in gaps and 6” of snow over the following two days made for deceptively great conditions. Obviously it wasn’t enough to call it epic as it gets beat hard by afternoon. But for that golden 1.5 hours it was truly special.

Was pretty close to epic yesterday.  Fresh snow everywhere.  Woods were totally in play.

1 hour ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I skied at Butternut today with my son. It was firm but edgeable groomer. The area received quite a bit of freezing rain earlier in the week. It wasn't really crowded with minimal waiting at lifts.

IMG_20200102_35751.jpg

Oh lord I remember that uphill traverse.  I skied BB every year at our week long  ski camp from age 8 to 15. Plus Otis and Berkshire Basin.

19 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I skied at Butternut today with my son. It was firm but edgeable groomer. The area received quite a bit of freezing rain earlier in the week. It wasn't really crowded with minimal waiting at lifts.

IMG_20200102_35751.jpg

Taking my kid to B'East the next 4 Saturdays for lessons and some turns for me and the wife.  Expecting meh' conditions in the rain tomorrow but I'll still get some runs in.

40 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Taking my kid to B'East the next 4 Saturdays for lessons and some turns for me and the wife.  Expecting meh' conditions in the rain tomorrow but I'll still get some runs in.

Flying Cloud, Mini Dole and UMass aren't opened. Can't say I remember those runs being closed in January. If you know the dates you are skiing, BE offers discounts for advanced purchase. Use their calendar to reload you're RFID card.

19 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Flying Cloud, Mini Dole and UMass aren't opened. Can't say I remember those runs being closed in January. If you know the dates you are skiing, BE offers discounts for advanced purchase. Use their calendar to reload you're RFID card.

It’s ironic because they had the earliest opening ever due to good temperatures in  November and a great start to December and now January is the meh’ month.  Luckily the Greenfield recreation department ski program will give us a rain check if tomorrow is lousy. 

17 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

It’s ironic because they had the earliest opening ever due to good temperatures in  November and a great start to December and now January is the meh’ month.  Luckily the Greenfield recreation department ski program will give us a rain check if tomorrow is lousy. 

I like that place, but I'm having a hard time with the carpet on the quad. I can't maintain my balance when loading the lift. I'm going to get in a few days at Sundown, strengthen my legs and try skiing there again in Late January.

41 minutes ago, Southshorewx said:

Any guesses if sunapee holds out tomorrow and stays mostly frozen? Dont really care if its pingers as long as it's not pouring rain.  Want to get one more day in before breckenridge next week.  

I’m thinking a little rain transitioning to light snow.  I’m heading to Loon and am hoping to avoid some rain.  

3 hours ago, Southshorewx said:

Any guesses if sunapee holds out tomorrow and stays mostly frozen? Dont really care if its pingers as long as it's not pouring rain.  Want to get one more day in before breckenridge next week.  

I'm heading out to Breck 1/19-1/26-looks like another banner year out there....

9 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

I'm heading out to Breck 1/19-1/26-looks like another banner year out there....

I'm pretty excited for this trip.  I've been out there a few times but 4 out of the 6 of us have never been.  The year of 40th birthdays for my buddies so we opted for Breck instead of Jay peak this year.  

29 minutes ago, Southshorewx said:

I'm pretty excited for this trip.  I've been out there a few times but 4 out of the 6 of us have never been.  The year of 40th birthdays for my buddies so we opted for Breck instead of Jay peak this year.  

Lots of new Terrain in the past 5 years-Peak 6 and 7 are great, your ticket is also good at Vail, Beaver Creek Keystone and A-Basin

1 hour ago, Brian5671 said:

Lots of new Terrain in the past 5 years-Peak 6 and 7 are great, your ticket is also good at Vail, Beaver Creek Keystone and A-Basin

Planned this trip early enough that it made the Epic pass a no brainer for the season.  Locally it was already worth the price but $189 a day at breck is just crazy.  I really like copper and wish it made it onto the epic pass this year.