• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

The buyers of Saddleback need to raise four million dollars to close the deal by late January. Two million by December 16th, and another two million dollars by late January. Color me sceptical.

https://wgme.com/news/local/saddleback-buyers-seek-2-million-before-sale-deadline?fbclid=IwAR2Trt5rzQyirpXkhkZbPLQKl4lUXvzWxtAqqvhLKI2-RLde34FrvGyJG0Q

• Sad 1

12 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Windham was awesome today. Lots of soft natural snow bumps. Still some powder stashes left from the big storm. Almost fully open. Hardly anyone there. 2db1fe98fd2470b093aeb7cc64fddc8c.jpgd27a37cb7bca364507141f3495984727.plistcadafa1025cd3a680efeb292ceed0e66.plist

Looking good.

We went to Royal, which is where we usually start our season each year.

Bountiful natural snow, some of it still ungroomed powder.  A great start to the season.

25 minutes ago, snowgeek said:

Nice. Love Royal. Was everything open?

The beginner slope was open,  plus most of the main side.

They had the easiest trail off the main lift closed.....not sure why as there was plenty of snow.

Maybe that's where they held the snowmobile races I saw advertised for Saturday night.   I could see lots of snowmobile tracks as I looked down.

Windham annoyed me going with their new ski pass system a couple of years back.  I don't need more annoying cards to keep track of.

I'll still go but Plattekill is the same distance for us and if there's good natural snow we will take Platty every time.

6 hours ago, cny rider said:

The beginner slope was open,  plus most of the main side.

They had the easiest trail off the main lift closed.....not sure why as there was plenty of snow.

Maybe that's where they held the snowmobile races I saw advertised for Saturday night.   I could see lots of snowmobile tracks as I looked down.

Windham annoyed me going with their new ski pass system a couple of years back.  I don't need more annoying cards to keep track of.

I'll still go but Plattekill is the same distance for us and if there's good natural snow we will take Platty every time.

We went to Windham to use our Warren miller Ski Film Coupon.  Got 23,000 ft. vertical with the lack of lines and the super fast new 6 pack.  I now have a wallet with all of my RFID cards that i keep in my boot bag lol.  Everyone seems to be starting to use them.  My Mt. Bachelor card for February is already loaded and ready to go.  I can just go right to the lifts.  They seem to help lines move fast too.  I personally love them.  I've gotta get back to Platty.  The drive is intimidating from here lol.  I think you have to take like 30 turns to get there.  Thank you google maps!!

4 minutes ago, Angus said:

I hadn’t really been thinking about the stake depths much yet this season, so thanks for the reminder.  We haven’t quite hit that 24” threshold yet, peaking at 23” about a week or so ago, but this next event could certainly push it there.

If we do hit it with this next round of snow, it would be later than the mean, but still well within 1 S.D., which stretches out to roughly the end of the month:

Mean   12/12

Median 12/9

Mode   12/16

S.D.     18.8 days

Last season it was hit was fairly early, with a date of 11/27 as indicated by the red star in the Mansfield Stake 24” data plot:

07AUG19A.jpg

On 12/18/2019 at 11:29 AM, J.Spin said:

I hadn’t really been thinking about the stake depths much yet this season, so thanks for the reminder.  We haven’t quite hit that 24” threshold yet, peaking at 23” about a week or so ago, but this next event could certainly push it there.

If we do hit it with this next round of snow, it would be later than the mean, but still well within 1 S.D., which stretches out to roughly the end of the month:

Mean   12/12

Median 12/9

Mode   12/16

S.D.     18.8 days

Last season it was hit was fairly early, with a date of 11/27 as indicated by the red star in the Mansfield Stake 24” data plot:

07AUG19A.jpg

Starting to get a good deal below normal now

Nice conditions in central Mass at Wachusett.  Skied there Tuesday for a bit to test out the knee, then last night which was a bit icy, and then for a couple of hours this morning.   Very good set of runs before the crowds built up.  Heading to Loon Jan4.   Haven’t been there in 20+ years for skiing 

02F69DC3-1ABE-4EC7-839F-8A37636B3F49.jpeg

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Lots of very thin cover up here at jay..they really need the upslope machine to kick on.  Better conditions two weeks ago in southern vt. 

Which is what pi$$es me off (read thread on NNE) when they state they have 88” of snow season to date. Sure, maybe that’s what fell in some ravine on the wind protected side, but from an average skier perspective, it’s a bogus number. 

Tenney Moutain near me still has not been able to open.  Sold lots of season passes last year.  They have no snowmaking to speak of.  I would not be happy if I were one of them  but if people are dumb enough to buy passes at mountains with no snowmaking then I really don't feel very sorry for them.

Cooler weather now but have to work on storms.  Not looking too good.

23 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

Tenney Moutain near me still has not been able to open.  Sold lots of season passes last year.  They have no snowmaking to speak of.  I would not be happy if I were one of them  but if people are dumb enough to buy passes at mountains with no snowmaking then I really don't feel very sorry for them.

Cooler weather now but have to work on storms.  Not looking too good.

I get bombarded with their ad on FB every day.  Can’t believe they have no snowmaking.    

[Was pointing the mountain out to my daughter from Welch Dickey on Sunday. Just looked up their current pricing for season pass - $389. I think ragged was selling their passes for low $300's pre-season. Like all skiers, would love to see them succeed but no snow making is problematic.

Went to Killington today, last time was in the early 1990's. The place is really big, but I'm not a big fan of the layout, I'm sort of more of a fan of a single peak mountain, I felt like I had to make lateral moves all day to try things out. Overall, tremendous uphill capacity for the lifts, but with 90% of the lifts running and only 50% of the trails, it made for a busy experience on some of the trails. Snow on the other hand was "ok". It definitely got choppy as the day transpired. New England needs some natural snow, big time!

If you know how to move around Killington, avoiding the crowd and skiing the right trails, it is a great mountain. I feel lost when skiing alone but when I follow my son who knows his way around, I enjoy it very much. We usually start at Bear Mountain, go all the way across the resort and back again. With that said, I rarely ski mid-winter - tend to ski bumps around May 1 most years. 5 more days this week on the skinny skis at the Weston ski track...kind of concerned they may lose their loop with the incoming precipitation. 

2 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I'm skiing with my son on Thursday either at Butternut or Catamount. Should be pretty looking skiing with all the freezing rain that area received.

Catamount really is an under rated area. I remember "Off Stage" being an amazing mogul run similar to Bear Trap at Mount Snow. Catapult is no joke. Looking forward to trying to ski their new terrain this year. It's like Sundown adding Satan's Stairway X2.