Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

On 11/9/2019 at 8:55 PM, alex said:

I'm terrified of T bars lol. Even though I'm a decent skier I just hate them. They are tiring and I'm constantly thinking I'm gonna fall. Part of it is that growing up in Italy there were some pretty gnarly T Bars there. As a kid I was pretty scarred by them lol. 

I had a bad time on a T bar near the summit of Sugarloaf a long time ago

2 hours ago, snowgeek said:

Best of luck with your recovery! That sucks, but next season will come quicker than you think. It’s hard to tone it down lol. I’m 52 and was hitting the bumps and jumps like a kid yesterday at Killington. Took that one extra run and hit that last jump and next thing I I know I’m slamming into the ground into my right shoulder. Super sore today. I’m hoping I didn’t damage anything. I get over excited and forget to take it easy lol.

Back in 2015, I was skiing on my 3rd and final day of a 3 day trip to Killington and I had gone the entire trip without a spill...last run of the entire trip (after 4pm now as I caught last chair up K1) I am coming down the run-out Spillway below the Canyon chair in full tuck so I can make it past the superstar chair over to Idler because we were parked down in the snowshed lot...the fading light gives the snow that tinted blue look and makes any bumps hard to see....all of the sudden as I'm in full tuck at high speed on spillway run-out, I start hitting some small bumps and then a bigger one sends me about 6-12 inches in the air...not very high but I wasn't expecting it at all...I couldnt see the bumps in the fading light...so now I'm in trouble as I land trying to correct myself and my edge digs in and that's it...full-on cartwheel with both skis releasing and I slide forward on my stomach about another 30 yards on the flat run-out. My initial impact had been my hip and I swear it felt like someone hit it with a sledge hammer the next day and it lasted for a few days. Luckily it went away and it was nothing serious or long term, but holy crap. Reminded me how quickly things can go south when you're seemingly in total control. 

Just talking about that trip makes me want to get out there now...what a great trip that was with amazing snow and the entire mountain open. 

Been a skier all my life and last year decided I wanted to learn to snowboard.  So I rent a board, head out to the bunny hill and figure I can "teach myself"...3 hours later, I left with what might have been a dislocated thumb and a very sore ass.  Cant remember ever being so sore the next day after a trip out to the mountain.  I did wind up taking a lesson and put a lot of work in last year so I'm hoping to enjoy it more this year.  Point is, no matter how the sport beats you up (ski or snowboard), it is addicting and there is nothing better than a great day out there to clear your head and feel like a kid again.

11 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Back in 2015, I was skiing on my 3rd and final day of a 3 day trip to Killington and I had gone the entire trip without a spill...last run of the entire trip (after 4pm now as I caught last chair up K1) I am coming down the run-out Spillway below the Canyon chair in full tuck so I can make it past the superstar chair over to Idler because we were parked down in the snowshed lot...the fading light gives the snow that tinted blue look and makes any bumps hard to see....all of the sudden as I'm in full tuck at high speed on spillway run-out, I start hitting some small bumps and then a bigger one sends me about 6-12 inches in the air...not very high but I wasn't expecting it at all...I couldnt see the bumps in the fading light...so now I'm in trouble as I land trying to correct myself and my edge digs in and that's it...full-on cartwheel with both skis releasing and I slide forward on my stomach about another 30 yards on the flat run-out. My initial impact had been my hip and I swear it felt like someone hit it with a sledge hammer the next day and it lasted for a few days. Luckily it went away and it was nothing serious or long term, but holy crap. Reminded me how quickly things can go south when you're seemingly in total control. 

Just talking about that trip makes me want to get out there now...what a great trip that was with amazing snow and the entire mountain open. 

That anecdote makes me recall a spill during my learn-to-parallel ski week at the old Glen Ellen back in 1971.  It was my final run (also after 4 PM) on Thursday, on an intermediate trail named Black Watch.  My goggles had been fogging completely in the cold (single digit max) so I would ski without them, stopping halfway down to let my eyes clear.  On that run, as I went into the stop an edge caught and somehow I recovered but was then going even faster.  tried again, same story and probably the fastest I've ever gone on skis.  3rd time was the "charm" - really caught the edge and went airborne.  The mind races at times like that, and I had time to think in mid-air "glad it's near the end of my ski week before I wreck."   Landed on my head (snow was soft) and did the eggbeater thing.  One ski failed to release and my knee was painful but skiable.  Surprisingly, the pain was gone the next morning.

3 hours ago, MarkO said:

damn, that just looks brr... Looking forward to the new gondola and spending more days at the Woods this winter!

It was a frigid opening day for sure - 14 for a high. The gondola was moving but only the Zephyr quad was open; looks like they were working on a lot more terrain, I'm hoping that gondola will be actually open soon!!! 

On 11/13/2019 at 8:15 PM, gravitylover said:

When there's wind? Yeah... I love t-bars and pretty much all surface lifts except rope tows. 

"Wind" being the key at Jay - they have no problem shutting the tram and Freezer down for "wind" during slow midweeks in January and February. Is it warranted sometimes - sure. But it's an easy excuse. 

25 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

"Wind" being the key at Jay - they have no problem shutting the tram and Freezer down for "wind" during slow midweeks in January and February. Is it warranted sometimes - sure. But it's an easy excuse. 

I guess I missed on the sarcasm. The wind there is terrible. I don't remember it being such a problem before that chair though but my memory may be clouded by rose colored lenses ;) I'm saying, in general, I really miss surface lifts. You could always stay out skiing when they were everywhere, chairs also used to be much lower and below the top of the tree line so they could keep running longer. Just look at the phenomenal run the red chair had at Magic, that sucker hardly ever closed. 

went to the boston ski show last night - hadn't gone in years and was looking for something to get me out of the house last nite. Yes, I lead a very dull life! I wasn't really checking areas off a list but I'm not sure if I saw Stowe there?? But the reason I'm typing this is I noticed there were no Massachusetts ski areas exhibiting west of Wachusett. In previous year threads, we've discussed how BE, Jiminy, Catamount , Otis, Bousquet, etc - western Massachusetts areas don't even look for traffic from the eastern half of state. I am impressed that Berkshire East is opening this early. Great area.

1 hour ago, Angus said:

went to the boston ski show last night - hadn't gone in years and was looking for something to get me out of the house last nite. Yes, I lead a very dull life! I wasn't really checking areas off a list but I'm not sure if I saw Stowe there?? But the reason I'm typing this is I noticed there were no Massachusetts ski areas exhibiting west of Wachusett. In previous year threads, we've discussed how BE, Jiminy, Catamount , Otis, Bousquet, etc - western Massachusetts areas don't even look for traffic from the eastern half of state. I am impressed that Berkshire East is opening this early. Great area.

I was at the ski expo on Thursday. The Western Massachusetts ski area's don't come to the show because their market is Hartford/Springfield/Albany. 

5 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I was at the ski expo on Thursday. The Western Massachusetts ski area's don't come to the show because their market is Hartford/Springfield/Albany. 

Yeah it's too far for eastern MA relative to places in NH or even VT...you can drive an extra half hour and be at a much superior mountain to the western MA places. 

But those western MA mountains are nice in that they are rarely crowded and a lot of them keep the old school New England trail vibe too with the narrower trails. I love that about them. 

Days one and two this past weekend at Killington. Natural snow was very limited with only a few inches. Being killington there was plenty of man made snow on the trails that were open. The problem was it was packed and by the afternoon the bottle necks were so pushed off that it became a dangerous Ice to moguls mine field. I saw multiple serious injury’s. There were way too many beginners out for those types of conditions and no easy terrain open. I took it easy after my double injury winter last year (broken collar bone followed by shattered wrist).