Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

4 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

It looks like Saddleback may have found a buyer and will reopen.

https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/11/07/agreement-reached-on-sale-of-saddleback/

1 hour ago, Lava Rock said:
4 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:
It looks like Saddleback may have found a buyer and will reopen.
https://www.sunjournal.com/2019/11/07/agreement-reached-on-sale-of-saddleback/

Was just going to post this. Great news

Me too

On 11/3/2019 at 4:40 PM, bwt3650 said:

Anyone know where Killington usually goes after Rime and Reason?  Thinking of heading out next week and it looks like they will be blowing 24/7 with the upcoming temps.  Just want to see if I'm looking at only those two or they have moved quickly to get terrain open in the past.

Killington is making snow TTB through Snowdon right now. I would think it might open by Sunday.

7 hours ago, mreaves said:

Me too

You have to get up pretty early to beat Sugarloaf1989. The dog woke me up at 2:15 this morning to go out and when I came back in and checked my phone, the story popped up. I went to post but Sugarloaf1989 had beat me to it by about 40 minutes or so! Of course, I beat him to Sugarloaf by 7 years - Jan 1982, if moniker is indicative of his first time there. Saddleback is a great mountain. I've skied there when only the t-bar was running and had a great time. The Kennabago quad which was installed by the Barry's can be reached via a long traverse from the t-bar but the 'normal' customer wouldn't do it. The new chairlift which will replace to old double really makes the whole mountain easily accessible. I know the locals have been pruning and keeping at least some of the glades thinned out but suspect the glades will take some time to recover from 4 years of inattention. Great mountain, great for the W. Maine region and also provides an alternative to/and some competition to Sugarloaf which is good.

33 minutes ago, Angus said:

You have to get up pretty early to beat Sugarloaf1989. The dog woke me up at 2:15 this morning to go out and when I came back in and checked my phone, the story popped up. I went to post but Sugarloaf1989 had beat me to it by about 40 minutes or so! Of course, I beat him to Sugarloaf by 7 years - Jan 1982, if moniker is indicative of his first time there. Saddleback is a great mountain. I've skied there when only the t-bar was running and had a great time. The Kennabago quad which was installed by the Barry's can be reached via a long traverse from the t-bar but the 'normal' customer wouldn't do it. The new chairlift which will replace to old double really makes the whole mountain easily accessible. I know the locals have been pruning and keeping at least some of the glades thinned out but suspect the glades will take some time to recover from 4 years of inattention. Great mountain, great for the W. Maine region and also provides an alternative to/and some competition to Sugarloaf which is good.

When I was up in Rangeley in the summer of 2015, all of the locals were terrified that the mountain was not going to open the next year. (They were right...4 years running) 

They kept saying how important it was to the local economy. Glad to see they will be back. 

2 hours ago, Angus said:

I'm up late at night with pain from my PLS disease, so I post late when I can't sleep. My first time at Sugarloaf was 12/89, but I started skiing in 1983. I was at Saddleback on closing day on 4/18/15, I didn't think they would be closed for 5 years from that point.

The major issue with Saddleback is the lack of lodging space during the Winter. Saddleback is a ski area located in a snowmobiling town. It's very difficult to get lodging in Rangely during the Winter. Sugarloaf has a huge bed capacity, Saddleback does not. Most of my days at Saddleback were in Spring, after snowmobiling was done, or as a day trip from Sugarloaf. I probably have about 40 days in at Saddleback. It's my son's favorite ski area in New England.

2 hours ago, Lava Rock said:
On 11/8/2019 at 5:48 PM, Sugarloaf1989 said:
My son on Kennebago T-bar 4/07:

j4yvqbayqgmh.jpg.1db960b7542c9ca46215554c621c8565.jpg

Loved the tbar. About halfway up there was a steep section that would briefly tug hard. Some people would fall there

The biggest problem was the windblown T-bar track at the Summit. Frequently there was nothing but ice at the summit.

Spent several February vacations at Saddleback back in the 80s. Will always remember that t-bar to the summit. Used to joke it was like a black diamond t-bar. :) I fondly recall a day the conditions were pretty rough, like heavy squalls with temps in the teens and going up that t-bar with ski patrol. Most everyone else had called it a day by that point. Looking forward to getting back up there again.

Well after a steady run of 32 years skiing every season, I have no choice but to take this season off. I had TKR (Total Knee Replacement) surgery 5wks ago on 10/9. Fully aware I was going to miss this season. I am on the long road to recovery and by next season i'll be itching to get out there but I'm going to have to tone down my craziness when on the mountain which means no more jumps and bumps for this old kid. I hope you all have a great season, it appears to be off to a decent start with natural and pristine snow making conditions.  

• Like 3

Just now, subdude said:

Well after a steady run of 32 years skiing every season, I have no choice but to take this season off. I had TKR (Total Knee Replacement) surgery 5wks ago on 10/9. Fully aware I was going to miss this season. I am on the long road to recovery and by next season i'll be itching to get out there but I'm going to have to tone down my craziness when on the mountain which means no more jumps and bumps for this old kid. I hope you all have a great season, it appears to be off to a decent start with natural and pristine snow making conditions.  

I didn't get out last season. Was tough thinking about it. My oldest son will be turning 4 late this winter though so I'm gonna get him on skis for the first time later this season. 

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I didn't get out last season. Was tough thinking about it. My oldest son will be turning 4 late this winter though so I'm gonna get him on skis for the first time later this season. 

My son was 4 when we took him out for the 1st time. Signed him up for the half day beginner kids program at Mt Snow. He loved it and is quite the skier now at 21. He even works in the industry at Park City. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

I started out my son just before age 2 at Mowawk Mountain. He also took lessons at Killington and Sugarloaf. He loves skiing and is now much better than Dad.

Ya I came to the realization that my son is a better skier than me about 4yrs ago. It was a sad day. :D

• Like 1

Best of luck with your recovery! That sucks, but next season will come quicker than you think. It’s hard to tone it down lol. I’m 52 and was hitting the bumps and jumps like a kid yesterday at Killington. Took that one extra run and hit that last jump and next thing I I know I’m slamming into the ground into my right shoulder. Super sore today. I’m hoping I didn’t damage anything. I get over excited and forget to take it easy lol.

7 hours ago, subdude said:

Best of luck!  You'll be back! (I thought hip replacements were anti-bump surgery???)