Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The 2019-2020 Ski Season Thread

Skivt2

13 minutes ago, redbanknjandbigbasslakepa said:

Based on other projects and also Magic’s resources. The fact that a ski resort hopes to have it done by January says something alone. Next season. 

There was a delay in footing installation due to unexpected rock blasting. I'm expecting to ride it this season. We will see I guess. They did the installation of the Green Chair during last ski season.

At this point I'm considering two options for skiing:

• Drifter pass + MRG seasonal pass ($650 total)
  • Epic local pass ($719)

Either choice would include all the Peak resorts, but if I get the Epic local, then instead of MRG, I'd be able to ski Okemo, Sunapee, and usually Stowe (except for blackout days). Stowe is also somehow a bit less of a drive than MRG. Okemo seems like the perfect mountain for me as an intermediate skier.

If I wanted to be cheaper, I could get the Drifter pass alone, but then I'd only have a few decent options in New England, with none in northern VT, and to me that isn't enough. What are your thoughts?

8 hours ago, Fozz said:

At this point I'm considering two options for skiing:

• Drifter pass + MRG seasonal pass ($650 total)
  • Epic local pass ($719)

Either choice would include all the Peak resorts, but if I get the Epic local, then instead of MRG, I'd be able to ski Okemo, Sunapee, and usually Stowe (except for blackout days). Stowe is also somehow a bit less of a drive than MRG. Okemo seems like the perfect mountain for me as an intermediate skier.

If I wanted to be cheaper, I could get the Drifter pass alone, but then I'd only have a few decent options in New England, with none in northern VT, and to me that isn't enough. What are your thoughts?

The old peak pass, which I think you can still get this year (bought mine the end of last season before the merger), includes wildcat and Attitash and I think you if you have the old peak pass, you also get fifty person off at Stowe and Okemo this year.  I was thinking of switching to the Epic local, but I think instead I'm just going to hit Stowe a few times at 50 percent off.

1 hour ago, bwt3650 said:

The old peak pass, which I think you can still get this year (bought mine the end of last season before the merger), includes wildcat and Attitash and I think you if you have the old peak pass, you also get fifty person off at Stowe and Okemo this year.  I was thinking of switching to the Epic local, but I think instead I'm just going to hit Stowe a few times at 50 percent off.

I didn't buy any pass yet. I looked up the benefits and discounts and did not see that 50% discount for Stowe or Okemo. Maybe it's only for people who already bought a pass before the merger closed. 

I'm leaning towards Epic local.

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

Killington hitting the top of Superstar this morning.  Anyone know if that is normal for them to blow on Superstar this early?  I thought they usually hit Rime and Reaon on the North Ridge first.

A new quad is being installed in the glades so snowmaking only took place on upper Rime and upper Superstar.

IMG_20191005_24590.jpg

IMG_20191005_45133.jpg

That epic pass does sound epic, I'd certainly do it if I could, but because of my location, I usually go with the White Mountain super pass (WV, Cannon, BW and Cranmore) and even though I buy it in April, it still costs over $1000, ughh. On a positive note, if you get one and you've got kids under 13, you can get a kids season pass at WV if you rent skis (about $150) from Ken Jones in Manchester.

I heard Killington will blow snow to open as soon as possible, but looking medium range, it's not looking possible for at least a couple weeks, but who knows?

The North ridge quad is in at Killington and will be load tested Monday. They have been blowing a lot of snow up there and will likely open within the next two weeks.  For the past few years they start making snow on superstar up top as soon as possible because they need that trail covered wall to wall some specific depth (I think 3 foot but could be more) by early the week of 11/25 to get clearance to hold the woman’s World Cup race there over thanksgiving weekend.

• Like 2

On 10/5/2019 at 12:36 PM, MarkO said:

That epic pass does sound epic, I'd certainly do it if I could, but because of my location, I usually go with the White Mountain super pass (WV, Cannon, BW and Cranmore) and even though I buy it in April, it still costs over $1000, ughh. On a positive note, if you get one and you've got kids under 13, you can get a kids season pass at WV if you rent skis (about $150) from Ken Jones in Manchester.

I heard Killington will blow snow to open as soon as possible, but looking medium range, it's not looking possible for at least a couple weeks, but who knows?

Ragged Mt is not nearly as big as places like Cannon or BW but still offers some great terrain. There trees are actually awesome and they get sneaky dumped on a lot. There season pass is only $349. I typically grab one even if I have another pass elsewhere. Not a bad drive from Lowell either, probably an hour forty-five minutes and it's pretty nice that your not on the highway the whole time IMO. 

4 hours ago, KoalaBeer said:

Ragged Mt is not nearly as big as places like Cannon or BW but still offers some great terrain. There trees are actually awesome and they get sneaky dumped on a lot. There season pass is only $349. I typically grab one even if I have another pass elsewhere. Not a bad drive from Lowell either, probably an hour forty-five minutes and it's pretty nice that your not on the highway the whole time IMO. 

Haven't been there in a while, but I'll have to check it out this winter. Same with Tenney.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, MarkO said:

Haven't been there in a while, but I'll have to check it out this winter. Same with Tenney.

I was up by Tenney today on the way home from the Whites and it reminded me I need to check it out this year as well! If I recall correctly there is no snowmaking since they re-opened? All natural which is pretty sweet. 

Going with a full Icon this year. Based at Stratton as that’s where my house share is. My friends in the house are all on the ski patrol so they aren’t leaving Stratton ever. The good thing for me this winter is I’ll be able to get out and explore. Planning on doing killington a bunch and a late season sugarloaf expedition. That mountain is big on my list of places to ride. I’m also doing my first out west trip to aspen for spring fling in April. 

Heres to hoping we have an ice free winter!!!

I’m also going Ikon with Stratton 12 minutes from me, and planning on Killington, Sugarbush and a long weekend Sugarloaf/Sunday River trip. Might go Epic next year because I’m 8 minutes from Mount Snow and throw in Stowe, Okemo, Hunter etc. Might mix it up. Of course the annual Magic Mountain powder days are a must. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2019 at 11:26 AM, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Going with a full Icon this year. Based at Stratton as that’s where my house share is. My friends in the house are all on the ski patrol so they aren’t leaving Stratton ever. The good thing for me this winter is I’ll be able to get out and explore. Planning on doing killington a bunch and a late season sugarloaf expedition. That mountain is big on my list of places to ride. I’m also doing my first out west trip to aspen for spring fling in April. 

Heres to hoping we have an ice free winter!!!

The only bad thing about going out west is not wanting to ski back here on crappy days. If you can swing it head to vail for a day.

On 10/21/2019 at 12:40 PM, #NoPoles said:

The pattern hasn't really been conducive to october snow making, hopefully things change

On 10/21/2019 at 12:40 PM, #NoPoles said:

The pattern hasn't really been conducive to october snow making, hopefully things change

Looks like mid-next week for K to open.  Certainly this coming weekend is the last weekend of the “offseason”.  We are wrapping up our preparations this weekend since we will be skiing every Friday-Sunday plus every day we have off from the following weekend until next June.  

• Like 1