Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,508
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    kgottwald
    Newest Member
    kgottwald
    Joined
yotaman

August 2019 Obs

Recommended Posts

A new month, summer is coming closer to winding down. Currently 93/79.

 

Significant storms all around me today but nothing in mby. Dry, dry, dry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Picked up an additional .05" overnight. 1.02" for the day. Great start to August. Let's see if we can get an aerial rain, these summertime pop up patterns can be very unfair over short distances. My farm in Franklin county is DRYYYYY. Food plots are withering, really hope they get something to stay green going into hunting season

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Storms all around me but not a drop in mby. Clouds and outflow are keeping temps way down though. Currently 81/73.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Still waiting for this...Delayed or denied?

Shower and storm coverage is expected to increase shortly, 
especially along and east of the boundary, where both surface and 
mid-level instability remains the highest. 12z or later CAM 
solutions generally agree with this prospect, featuring a generally 
east/southeast to west/northwest propagating outflow initiated line 
of showers and storms sliding into our Coastal Plain counties by 
19z/3pm, approaching the US-1 Triangle Corridor by 21z/5pm, and 
eventually the triad region by 23z/7pm. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes; it is a rather complex troughing situation, for which the discussions and forecasts have become more abstracted!

The presentation overall is quite amazing to see! 

1879042825_COD-GOES-East-continental-southconus_08.20190802.232148-overmap-bars.thumb.gif.d475288de6222bdf6ffaa4f5f8700e94.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Officially a "T" --- there was evidence of few raindrops on the trash can lid this morning.

Today's former 70% chance is down to 30%.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1.86" of rain yesterday from the cell in Cary/Apex - may have dodged a bullet looking at some of the other estimates.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Solak said:

Officially a "T" --- there was evidence of few raindrops on the trash can lid this morning.

Today's former 70% chance is down to 30%.

Yeah noticed that as well.  When that happens I wish the AFD would discuss in more detail what has changed in their thinking.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, NC_hailstorm said:

1st day of the month and here we go again with temps.

GSP  0.0

HKY  +0.5

AVL  -1.0

RDU  -1.0

GSO  -0.5

CAE  -0.5

AND

CLT  +2.5

 

Really makes you wonder about site location of the station.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Solak said:

Officially a "T" --- there was evidence of few raindrops on the trash can lid this morning.

Today's former 70% chance is down to 30%.

Yeah I had better storms Thursday and was blanked yesterday as storms just missed me. Now today looks like a coastal rain and my chances are also down to 30%. They ramp back up tomorrow but 3knam this morning didnt look overly excited for my area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Finally got some rain last night. Picked up .89" during  the evening and another .08" early this morning. Cloudy skies and 81/76. Our precip chances went from 90% today down to 40% currently. Was hoping for more rain today. We will see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, yotaman said:

Finally got some rain last night. Picked up .89" during  the evening and another .08" early this morning. Cloudy skies and 81/76. Our precip chances went from 90% today down to 40% currently. Was hoping for more rain today. We will see.

What is your current yearly total? I got about 1.4 last night and am offically over 40 in. for the year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

What is your current yearly total? I got about 1.4 last night and am offically over 40 in. for the year. 

23.73". Way below normal for the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

0.00" Saturday.

The Sunday 50%, Monday 60% is now 30%/40%.

Edit: 50%/60% is back. I think I'll just watch for clouds and stay away from the ever changing forecasts.  My sanity is important to me. :)

Edit2: Now it's 20%/40%.

Arrrrrrrgh! Go pull some weeds, Tom!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1st day of the month and here we go again with temps.
GSP  0.0
HKY  +0.5
AVL  -1.0
RDU  -1.0
GSO  -0.5
CAE  -0.5
AND
CLT  +2.5
 
Get 'em, hailstorm! Crazy heat island effect. Who puts a temperature gauge in jet exhaust?!

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Yes; it is a rather complex troughing situation, for which the discussions and forecasts have become more abstracted!
The presentation overall is quite amazing to see! 
1879042825_COD-GOES-East-continental-southconus_08.20190802.232148-overmap-bars.thumb.gif.d475288de6222bdf6ffaa4f5f8700e94.gif
Something complex has become more abstract? I never understand your posts, calm_days. It's as if you are trying to be obtuse and revel in your successful attempts.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My apologies calculus!! :)  I know what you are saying: I think it is because I post so infrequently (a bit over 200 times since 2012) that i can stumble and hedge when trying to describe something that I don't fully comprehend!

In this case I tried to choose my words carefully because I didn't want it to read as though i thought that the forecasts were inadequate! :) 

I have found a clearer way to describe the phenomenon since the post which is that Barry and this system, to me resemble the monsoon depressions that occurs in some places globally but are not considered to be an Atlantic phenomenon as of yet.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsoon_trough#Embedded_depressions

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
My apologies calculus!! :)  I know what you are saying: I think it is because I post so infrequently (a bit over 200 times since 2012) that i can stumble and hedge when trying to describe something that I don't fully comprehend!
In this case I tried to choose my words carefully because I didn't want it to read as though i thought that the forecasts were inadequate! :) 
I have found a clearer way to describe the phenomenon since the post which is that Barry and this system, to me resemble the monsoon depressions that occurs in some places globally but are not considered to be an Atlantic phenomenon as of yet.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monsoon_trough#Embedded_depressions
There you go. More words helped out a lot. Please continue to post but help us understand what you are saying by adding much more detail...as you just did.

I had airplane head anyway when I wrote my first comment. Operating on 3 hours of sleep right now. Red-eye flights suck. So, maybe it was clearer to others and just not to me.

Sent from my moto e5 supra using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×