Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 Obs

yotaman

12 hours ago, Iceagewhereartthou said:

Well looks like the forecast has backed off the mid to upper 90s it was showing for the upstate the next couple days, which is fine by me. So far the highest GSP  has seen over the past week is 94 and that's the only day I hit 90 IMBY. At 2pm GSP is at 87, I'm at 84.5. Really not terrible for a mid August heat wave. 

A real heatwave, at least for where I live (in the GSP region) has always been defined by at least a 1 week stretch of 98+ degree days w/ heat indices of at least 105+ on many of them.

Mid August 1995, for example, had a whole week where it was in the upper 90's, and it hit 100 twice. Nighttime lows were like only in the mid 70's for most of that week. GSP had come off of a 5th hottest July that year. Third week of August 1983 had a heatwave, and it hit over 100 at GSP 3-4 times. August 2007 had a major heatwave as well with the most 100+ degree days in a month at GSP.

Overall, this summer has reminded me a bit of summer 1987 as far as temperatures go. 

Well, well, well, that walking into a wall of humidity feeling opening the door I had so hoped was gone for the year was back with a vengeance this morning in my neck of the woods! Maybe it seems worse as I had fully thought we were done with this type oppressive heat for the summer (why I get my hopes up in August in the south, I will never know). Oh well, looks like today is the peak of it. I think with strong moisture in low levels tomorrow and the front hanging around, cloud cover will certainly be impressive tomorrow and may be the saving grace for a repeat of today, though it will still be in the miserable range. Mid 80's in the forecast have been replaced with 90's through the period. In my experience with southeast weather during these summer patterns, sometimes it takes a tropical system to fully "break" the cycle and pull a front all the way through the area. Otherwise, looks like more of the same!

16 hours ago, RobbyC said:

A real heatwave, at least for where I live (in the GSP region) has always been defined by at least a 1 week stretch of 98+ degree days w/ heat indices of at least 105+ on many of them.

Mid August 1995, for example, had a whole week where it was in the upper 90's, and it hit 100 twice. Nighttime lows were like only in the mid 70's for most of that week. GSP had come off of a 5th hottest July that year. Third week of August 1983 had a heatwave, and it hit over 100 at GSP 3-4 times. August 2007 had a major heatwave as well with the most 100+ degree days in a month at GSP.

Overall, this summer has reminded me a bit of summer 1987 as far as temperatures go. 

Agree, this wasn't a true heat wave for us, at least until today. 97 officially at GSP, hottest day since July 2016. 

August 07 was unbelievable, and I hope never to see that again!

Looks like 92 here for me today, seems a hair low but...

Confused again...

New HWO:

.DAY ONE...Tonight.
Hazardous weather is not expected at this time.

New forecast:

Showers and thunderstorms before 5am, then a slight chance of showers. Some storms could be severe, with damaging winds. Low around 74. South wind 5 to 8 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a quarter and half of an inch possible.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picked up about 0.40" from 2 showers this evening.

0.55" imby from the storm yesterday afternoon and overnight rain. Honestly was expecting more from radar return yesterday but I must have been fringed as we were never really able to keep up the heavy stuff other than a few brief "spurts." Still, anything over 1/2 an inch is a good rain in my book. Mowed my yard twice in last week and half (it had been more than a month since I'd needed to mow it before). Hot outside currently 88 with a lot of humidity. Storm chances have dwindled for the daylight hours today

Good disco in the Aviation forecast.

Convective outflow from earlier this morning has held back
shower and thunderstorm development so far, but this will 
likely change soon. A mid-level disturbance can be seen 
approaching eastern Tennessee on water vapor and this is 
forecast to help initiate the next round of showers and 
thunderstorms this evening. An inland moving sea breeze also 
will serve as a secondary focus for shower and thunderstorm 
development. Previous guidance had been hinting at the sea 
breeze moving inland pretty far, but latest guidance has backed 
off on this. In general this makes sense. A remnant outflow that
pushed offshore stabilized central North Carolina this morning.
Continued cloud cover over the coastal plain though has made 
this area the last to destabilize. Overall this will likely 
hinder the inward progression of the sea breeze. Due to the 
above, KINT and KGSO are the most likely sites to observe 
precipitation today. KRWI and KRDU will likely be in between 
both forcing areas and therefore will be the least likely to 
observe precipitation.

Strangest thing right now with a thunderstorm. A continuous roar... not a rumble ... of thunder for almost 6 minutes. It sounded like what a military jet hovering directly overhead might sound like. Not exceptionally loud; just the duration amazed me. Moderate rain falling at the moment.

42 minutes ago, Solak said:

Strangest thing right now with a thunderstorm. A continuous roar... not a rumble ... of thunder for almost 6 minutes. It sounded like what a military jet hovering directly overhead might sound like. Not exceptionally loud; just the duration amazed me. Moderate rain falling at the moment.

Or, the bearing could be going bad on your heat exchanger fan.  :)

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, Solak said:

I'm near Wilmington and heard the same thing a couple of nights ago. The thunder I heard seemed to last about 15 straight minutes.