Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August 2019 General Discussion

cyclone77

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Not in this sub, but tremendous amounts of rain fell in a narrow corridor in northeast KS last evening/early this morning.  There's been a few reports of over 10" southeast of Topeka.  Radar estimates as much as 13" may have fallen along that narrow corridor.  Most of that fell in about 8hrs.

That would be quite problematic in a major urban area.

5 hours ago, Chambana said:

For real. Nothing exciting for the next 7+ days. Getting awful dry around here. I leave next Saturday for southern Alabama. We rented a lake house down there for a week. Can’t freaking wait. 

Don't hold your breath for a whole bunch of action down here either.

Things typically dry out by mid-August through the rest of Summer/early fall, unless there's a tropical system.

Discussion on trough and cool down mid week, Skilling and LOT.

5318134e2075565fb378b1cb1deb5bfd.jpg

Lot:
Sfc ridge axis will move south of area early in the week allowing
more of a westerly gradient to develop and keep laking cooling at
bay. Upper trough will dig into the Great Lakes region mid-late
week with a return to below average temps/humidity. Cold front
along the leading edge of the cooler less humid air mass cold
bring some showers and t-storms to the area later Monday night
through Tuesday night. At this time it looks like the best rain
chances will be to our north Monday night with redevelopment later
Tuesday focusing southern CWA or even points south. The
modest/low precip chances offered up in the model blend seem
reasonable at this point

26 minutes ago, hlcater said:

This pattern we’ve been in for the past month is insufferable. Unsurprisingly, D0 has begun to show up like a rash across portions of the sub.

755026C3-8CF1-4877-B1A2-F5F7E1EFFCE0.png

I haven't seen the neighborhood lawns this bad since 2012.  Basically no rain and intense sun day after day for over a month has taken it's toll.  Haven't mowed since July 3rd.

5 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

I haven't seen the neighborhood lawns this bad since 2012.  Basically no rain and intense sun day after day for over a month has taken it's toll.  Haven't mowed since July 3rd.

I have large cracks in the ground opening up in the now dormant grass. But then it is early August. It is suppose to be hot and dry this time of year. And guess what, it is!

12 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

Crazy as not long ago you were terribly wet. it's and dry here too but I lucked out with an isolated storm yesterday dropping 1.65" of rain. I had a TOTAL of 1.94" in July.

Guest ovweather
8 hours ago, Hoosier said:

Last 30 days

precip30dydev.thumb.png.a265c5a8fa5e44e2d4d3f46b498b2ea0.png

And the rich get richer... That above normal area in southwest KY and western TN is getting hit again this evening. Paducah, KY is sitting at 52 inches for the year, which is 22 inches above normal. Meanwhile here in south Louisville, on the sidelines again as rain misses to the north and south. Gotten very dry in parts of the city the past 5 weeks. If this keeps up through the rest of the month into September, we will be talking moderate drought for parts of the state while other areas continue to experience unusual wetness.

90 here today, 89 at MLI.  
Yeah I'm ready for the cool season.  This summer has been pretty benign after the excessive spring rains subsided.  

August usually seems to be one of the dullest months. To each their own of course, but even just numbers wise - averages don’t change much through the month, outside of tracking tropical remnants just a pretty boring month weather wise. Guess we should go see what Frankie says winter will bring:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/07/19/official-2020-winter-weather-forecast/amp/

8 hours ago, luckyweather said:

August usually seems to be one of the dullest months. To each their own of course, but even just numbers wise - averages don’t change much through the month, outside of tracking tropical remnants just a pretty boring month weather wise. Guess we should go see what Frankie says winter will bring:

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2019/07/19/official-2020-winter-weather-forecast/amp/

I consider September as dull as August, then the fun begins again in October, tracking cold snaps, anticipation of winter, second severe season, etc.

• Like 1

I consider September as dull as August, then the fun begins again in October, tracking cold snaps, anticipation of winter, second severe season, etc.

Here in Rockford August opens with an average high/low of 83.6/62.5 and closes with 80.5/58.8. September opens with 80.3/58.5 and closes with 69.5/45.8. August opens with a day length of 14:26:49 and closes at 13:11. September opens with 13:09 and closes with 11:47. September starts out the first ten days or so as a continuation of August, but then things start happening in a hurry. The shorter days start getting noticeable. The pretty large dip in average high produces some of the most spectacular days a given year has to offer, usually somewhere around 9/15 through 10/5 or so. Bluebird skies, highs in the 70s, very low humidity, smells of earth and fall. I love winter, but that short stretch of fall takes a close second.
  • Like 1