• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter 2019

George BM

Its been a great night drinking at home with friends and about to go to bed but I had a great weather day today. So if you're just browsing this thread here's a random story. It's long winded because I'm a bit drunk.

Went to a friend's house with my wife in Arnold MD near Annapolis and they took us out on their boat. I've been out on the Chesapeake maybe twice in my life and today was the second time. When I left Owings Mills at 11 am it felt like a typical summer day. But when we got to Arnold at noonish it just felt... Uncomfortably humid. Noticeable as in high CAPE humid. I looked at the sky and there was all sun and some cumulus out in the way distance.

I commented before we left on the boat that it felt like.... Instability. Of course the three others said "what?" And I said nevermind. But I felt it in my bones.

We head out at 2 pm. Now the last thing I want to do is be out in a boat with CG lightning. And I feel it in the atmosphere that it's gonna happen but it's an almost clear sky.

30 min later while near the Chesapeake Bay bridge on the boat I see a darkening haze to the north with wide open chesapeake bay visibility. I check my RadarScope app. It's a fairly isolated red and yellow shower... But pretty large surface area. Seems to be stationary. I keep an eye on it.

Over next 10 min it's getting significantly darker to the north. And then I see a cloud finger emerging that gave me pause. I look again and now I see CG strikes on RadarScope and a ST Warning and Marine Warning to the north. Storm is still almost stationary on RadarScope and to my eyes.

I zoom out on app and there is no other storm for 125 miles in any direction. But this storm is a lone wolf in an otherwise wide open chesapeake bay sunny sky. It's beautiful.

Ok so I may not know how to Captain a boat, but I know how to be a storm spotter. This storm is growing. And Captain wants to go get gas but we don't "have to" get gas. We're heading into the now much darker sky and I see the cloud finger more pronounced and think to myself that if today were a tornado day I would know that. But severe storms can spawn rotation right? So 'is it' just a cloud finger..... Or something more? I pull up RadarScope again as my index of suspicion is growing by the minute and now on RadarScope there are lots of CG strikes and now there is purple in the cell. I look up and see a CG strike in the way distance.... The first one we see. A big one. But very far away. It was red. It was surreal.

It was at that moment the storm started it's movement on RadarScope. And it was moving towards us and growing in size. Impressively rapidly. Yep. Time to go in.

We do a 180 and take the 15 min ride to our friends dock. Upon arrival the sky is now deep grey and CG strikes getting closer and loud rumbling beautiful thunder. We button up boat. Head up to house with a deck in perfect view of the approaching storm.

O yeah by now we are under a ST Warning and Marine Warning over our friends house. I am pacing out how long until it's truly too dangerous to stay outside and BAM a very bright flash and LOUD bang of thunder 2 or 3 seconds later. O yeah time to go inside now. 10 minutes later sheets of rain, and numerous CG strikes very close by. And then the hail starts. Pea sized hail and lots of it.

I open RadarScope. It's purple over us. I zoom out. It is one tiny small storm right over us drifting south. What luck I had as a storm lover! For all those near misses to hit a jackpot. Today I was a 1 percenter.

30 min later it's sunny. All done.

And that's it. But here is why it is cool. I felt that CAPE today. I knew something was up. And I was right. And to use my weather skills and skywatching skills to chart that storm and have it actually hit us head on was really lucky... For those of us that love storms.

So I had to share that here cause nobody gets it but you guys.

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 11

On 8/17/2019 at 3:41 PM, showmethesnow said:

Just popped open a Sweet Baby Java from the Duclaw brewing company. An espresso bean infused chocolate peanut butter porter. Take out the peanut butter and this would a winning beer in my book. The pb just doesn't fit in.

Agreed. Duclaw usually just misses the mark for my taste. They need to keep it a bit simpler. Artificial tasting peanut butter is a big ol' NO.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

Add today to the nasty list . Brought 8 bottles of water down to my Federal hill job .All gone by 1pm. Glad to be almost home . A cold beer will taste great after a day like today :pepsi:

Were those the standard 16.9oz bottles? If so, then that's quite a bit of fluid downed in half a day.

On 8/12/2019 at 7:22 PM, C.A.P.E. said:

My (significantly) better version of a Five Guys bacon double cheeseburger, made with local grass fed beef, local tomatoes, and  grilled over charcoal on the Weber. Paired with a DFH 90 Min IPA.

burger.thumb.JPG.7be2cf8e56925b166d702908e180af89.JPG

That's how we roll in the Coastal Mid-Atlantic.

1 hour ago, C.A.P.E. said:

Drinking a DFH 90 min IPA.

Been into the juicy hazy IPAs lately too. Got hooked when I went up to Vermont and NH a few weeks back.

New England is the home of those beers (thus the term “New England IPA”) and there are some great ones up there. Remember any of the you had?

On 8/18/2019 at 12:15 AM, AdamHLG said:

Its been a great night drinking at home with friends and about to go to bed but I had a great weather day today. So if you're just browsing this thread here's a random story. It's long winded because I'm a bit drunk.

Went to a friend's house with my wife in Arnold MD near Annapolis and they took us out on their boat. I've been out on the Chesapeake maybe twice in my life and today was the second time. When I left Owings Mills at 11 am it felt like a typical summer day. But when we got to Arnold at noonish it just felt... Uncomfortably humid. Noticeable as in high CAPE humid. I looked at the sky and there was all sun and some cumulus out in the way distance.

I commented before we left on the boat that it felt like.... Instability. Of course the three others said "what?" And I said nevermind. But I felt it in my bones.

We head out at 2 pm. Now the last thing I want to do is be out in a boat with CG lightning. And I feel it in the atmosphere that it's gonna happen but it's an almost clear sky.

30 min later while near the Chesapeake Bay bridge on the boat I see a darkening haze to the north with wide open chesapeake bay visibility. I check my RadarScope app. It's a fairly isolated red and yellow shower... But pretty large surface area. Seems to be stationary. I keep an eye on it.

Over next 10 min it's getting significantly darker to the north. And then I see a cloud finger emerging that gave me pause. I look again and now I see CG strikes on RadarScope and a ST Warning and Marine Warning to the north. Storm is still almost stationary on RadarScope and to my eyes.

I zoom out on app and there is no other storm for 125 miles in any direction. But this storm is a lone wolf in an otherwise wide open chesapeake bay sunny sky. It's beautiful.

Ok so I may not know how to Captain a boat, but I know how to be a storm spotter. This storm is growing. And Captain wants to go get gas but we don't "have to" get gas. We're heading into the now much darker sky and I see the cloud finger more pronounced and think to myself that if today were a tornado day I would know that. But severe storms can spawn rotation right? So 'is it' just a cloud finger..... Or something more? I pull up RadarScope again as my index of suspicion is growing by the minute and now on RadarScope there are lots of CG strikes and now there is purple in the cell. I look up and see a CG strike in the way distance.... The first one we see. A big one. But very far away. It was red. It was surreal.

It was at that moment the storm started it's movement on RadarScope. And it was moving towards us and growing in size. Impressively rapidly. Yep. Time to go in.

We do a 180 and take the 15 min ride to our friends dock. Upon arrival the sky is now deep grey and CG strikes getting closer and loud rumbling beautiful thunder. We button up boat. Head up to house with a deck in perfect view of the approaching storm.

O yeah by now we are under a ST Warning and Marine Warning over our friends house. I am pacing out how long until it's truly too dangerous to stay outside and BAM a very bright flash and LOUD bang of thunder 2 or 3 seconds later. O yeah time to go inside now. 10 minutes later sheets of rain, and numerous CG strikes very close by. And then the hail starts. Pea sized hail and lots of it.

I open RadarScope. It's purple over us. I zoom out. It is one tiny small storm right over us drifting south. What luck I had as a storm lover! For all those near misses to hit a jackpot. Today I was a 1 percenter.

30 min later it's sunny. All done.

And that's it. But here is why it is cool. I felt that CAPE today. I knew something was up. And I was right. And to use my weather skills and skywatching skills to chart that storm and have it actually hit us head on was really lucky... For those of us that love storms.

So I had to share that here cause nobody gets it but you guys.

Thanks for listening.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

No, you really didn’t need to share that with us, you’ve succeeded in making me jealous.:lightning::weep:

• Like 1

12 hours ago, nj2va said:

Impressive offense lately by the Nats wow. 62 runs in 5 games. 

That offense has the potential to be elite. Turner, Rendon, and Soto are all elite offensive players. The rest of the lineup are at least solid offensively. The starting pitching looks legitimate, especially with Scherzer coming back. If they can get Doolittle right, they are a serious threat to anyone else in the NL. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

That offense has the potential to be elite. Turner, Rendon, and Soto are all elite offensive players. The rest of the lineup are at least solid offensively. The starting pitching looks legitimate, especially with Scherzer coming back. If they can get Doolittle right, they are a serious threat to anyone else in the NL. 

Davey is a poor manager.  Makes dumb decisions. Cant manage the pen. Killed Doolittle...throws Grace out there to get pummeled almost every outing (Davey...Grace sucks) and plays Gomes waaayyy to much.  Good guy, bad skipper. 

22 minutes ago, Stormpc said:

Davey is a poor manager.  Makes dumb decisions. Cant manage the pen. Killed Doolittle...throws Grace out there to get pummeled almost every outing (Davey...Grace sucks) and plays Gomes waaayyy to much.  Good guy, bad skipper. 

I can agree with the first three, kind of.  March, April, and May got Doolittle killed when not a single other bullpen piece was any good and the only option they had was Doolittle. 

I have a feeling when it comes crunch time in the playoffs, Davey will make the one mistake you can't make and this year will end like all the others, I hope I am wrong though. 

Hopefully Grace gets DFAd once Elisas is back.  I wish they could play Suzuki more but at 35, he would be dead if was catching more games than he is.  

The offense is better than years past so hopefully that shows up in the playoffs.

Weather: It's too hot.

11 hours ago, Steve25 said:

Biggest question mark continues to be the bullpen which blew yet another game tonight.

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

Biggest question mark continues to be the bullpen which blew yet another game tonight.

Stasburg was good through 7 with 94 pitches.  94.  What, couldn't pitch another inning?  I'm a Rangers fan, but as soon as I saw Strasburg replaced by Suero, I knew the Nats were going to have trouble 

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Stasburg was good through 7 with 94 pitches.  94.  What, couldn't pitch another inning?  I'm a Rangers fan, but as soon as I saw Strasburg replaced by Suero, I knew the Nats were going to have trouble 

I would have brought him in to start the 8th...if he struggled with the first batter, would have pulled the plug.  

1 minute ago, nj2va said:

I would have brought him in to start the 8th...if he struggled with the first batter, would have pulled the plug.  

He had another 15-20 pitches left in him. Poor move by slow Davey. Sometimes managers make moves just to make moves and feel like they are contributing to the game. This one was once again a very moronic decision. They're not going to go anywhere this year regardless of where they finish. If they make it to the wild-card game, they will lose. If they somehow win the division, they will lose the division series.

14 hours ago, Stormpc said:

He had another 15-20 pitches left in him. Poor move by slow Davey. Sometimes managers make moves just to make moves and feel like they are contributing to the game. This one was once again a very moronic decision. They're not going to go anywhere this year regardless of where they finish. If they make it to the wild-card game, they will lose. If they somehow win the division, they will lose the division series.

Davey can never get out of his own damn way.

On 8/20/2019 at 6:47 PM, mattie g said:

So if I can only attach files of 0.01MB, does that mean I’ve run out of space on the site to post images?

yup. you will need to delete some previous attachments to make space for new ones. have fun, its a pain as you cannot select more than one at a time to delete, and then once you do the page refreshes and takes you back to page 1 of however many. super annoying. 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic