Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Banter 2019

George BM

Just now, WxWatcher007 said:

I actually hope I can get a year off. It’d be nice to see winter show up for the first time in almost a half decade.

Haven't even put any thought to this coming winter yet. ENSO forecasts are so fickle through the spring/summer it isn't even worth the trouble. Come Sept is when I will start gearing up.

Forgot to mention it earlier in the day but my dogs and myself had an interesting morning. At 4:30 this morning I had the dogs outside to potty and I left the patio door open while doing this. Brought the dogs back in and sat down only to look up as a bat dive bombed me. Needless to say I spent 5-10 minutes with a broom trying to steer this bat back out the door all the while the dogs were racing back and forth through the house trying to catch it. Like I said, interesting morning.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• H2O pinned this topic

When oh when will this weather pattern change. Spent the day in the ER on Tuesday for a Migraine that would not allow me to even keep water down. Still causing me problems with my head and neck. I at no time felt like this on our trip out West. Have a massage today and that will help but can this soup just move on out already. :(

3 minutes ago, Mrs.J said:

When oh when will this weather pattern change. Spent the day in the ER on Tuesday for a Migraine that would not allow me to even keep water down. Still causing me problems with my head and neck. I at no time felt like this on our trip out West. Have a massage today and that will help but can this soup just move on out already. :(

:(

I hope you feel better quickly!

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

I'm surprised by today's forecast for likely showers.  I looked at the guidance last night and nothing looked active at all.

I'm thinking I need a need point and click app. Weather bug has thunderstorm likely with heavy rain forecasted every time there's a chance of an afternoon shower.

Prety impressive . 

https://eos.org/articles/greenland-ice-sheet-beats-all-time-1-day-melt-record

Water pools on the surface of the Greenland ice sheet during its biggest daylong melt event on record, 1 August 2019. Credit: Caspar Haarløv/Into the Ice via AP

By Jenessa Duncombe  17 hours ago

The Greenland ice sheet broke records on 1 August 2019 by losing more water volume in 1 day than on than any other day since records began in 1950, shedding 12.5 billion tons of water into the sea.

The record-breaking day came during a weeklong extreme melt event hitting Greenland due to soaring temperatures and low snow accumulation over the winter. The warmer temperatures are part of a heat wave that scorched Europe in late July, setting records in several countries including Germany, France, and the Netherlands.

The extreme melting liquified enough ice to fill 5 million Olympic-sized swimming pools with water. Air temperatures rose to 10°C above average in places in Greenland this week and peaked above the freezing point for hours at a time at the ice sheet’s summit more than 3,200 meters above sea level. The months of April, May, June, and July also had higher than average temperatures in Greenland.

The volume of water melted per day on the ice sheet this week has increased as temperatures have climbed. The extreme melting on 1 August liquified enough ice to fill 5 million Olympic-sized swimming pools with water, accounting for 12.5 gigatons of water. The latest findings come from observations and model calculations from the National Snow and Ice Data Center (NSIDC) at the University of Colorado.

Daily melt extent graph of Greenland Ice Sheet

• Sad 1

There was never really energy fo worldwide stormsystems in my life - it always underperformed. in the 1990s, there was some good NW-SE moving systems "Clippers" that made snowfall more exciting. I did research once and found that on time dates - 11-11,11 for example, in Las Vegas, or Los Angelos, or New York City, there was 500mb anomalies, and these happened mostly in the 2010s and 1950s. 

1 minute ago, losetoa6 said:

Storms dodged me at College Park yesterday.  Daughter was touring the campus . Forgot how massive it really is . Went to a lot of midnight madness celebrations at Md in the past for basketball at Cole Field house . ..good times .We are touring North Carolina university this morning.  She's likely going to do gymnastics at Temple,  Md , or NC. Headed to Daytona from here to hit the sand :sizzle:

YES! midnight madness at cole field house was the best. i miss that place, it was so wonderful. I went every year before moving away to college. 

I think my mom has a piece of the floor. She's a super duper over the top MD fan. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

Storms dodged me at College Park yesterday.  Daughter was touring the campus . Forgot how massive it really is . Went to a lot of midnight madness celebrations at Md in the past for basketball at Cole Field house . ..good times .We are touring North Carolina university this morning.  She's likely going to do gymnastics at Temple,  Md , or NC. Headed to Daytona from here to hit the sand :sizzle:

Send her to UMD! Such an amazing experience. I miss it so much lol

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Ugh, someone bumped the December 9/10 storm thread. Still can't believe I managed to miss that storm. Always gonna haunt me.

2 months or so until I renew my WeatherBell subscription though. Very exciting. 

Very exciting until we are tracking unicorn patterns that don't materialize. ;)

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, NorthArlington101 said:

Ugh, someone bumped the December 9/10 storm thread. Still can't believe I managed to miss that storm. Always gonna haunt me.

'Twas NOT I.......but I be ready for the first flakes! :snowing:

• Like 1

On 8/6/2019 at 2:49 PM, NorthArlington101 said:

Sorry... forgot forums did that...

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic