• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    davisinstruments
    Newest Member
    davisinstruments

August Discobs 2019

4 minutes ago, losetoa6 said:

2 warned cells now. Mount Airy south through western Howard and Montgomery co.

I can see the light show near New Windsor.  Nada here.

Yea I'm in New Windsor at the fire department and it's all been to our south.

2 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Yea I'm in New Windsor at the fire department and it's all been to our south.

Hrrr really late to the party this evening.  Impressive event for many spots 

1 minute ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Meanwhile in Connecticut:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51a472842f413900d788a

congrats on another fantastic storm in a storm season for the ages.

Looks more like the hurricane season in a gif so far this year to be honest 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, yoda said:

Looks more like the hurricane season in a gif so far this year to be honest 

I’m starting to think you don’t like me, Yoda.

It’s early man...it’s early...

giphy.gif

33 minutes ago, NorthArlington101 said:

Meanwhile in Bar Harbor:

3fa4366250594943e62f111f2ef5311d.jpg

Still jealous of the sick lightning storm though. Don’t get to see too many of those.

Fantastic view. I need to get up there someday.

• Like 2

It’s super pretty when you manage to beat the classic Maine fog. Hiked the mountain in the morning when we couldn’t see anything, then did it again in the afternoon when it cleared up.

Interesting read from the late afternoon AFD from Mount Holly for the Tuesday potential..

On Tuesday, a dying surface boundary will be stalled over the region, with a shortwave trough approaching. This will yield a good opportunity for convection. The setup for Tuesday is concerning from a hydro perspective. Pattern bears strong resemblance to the Maddox "Type 2/Frontal Event" pattern which is one of three patterns well known to favor flash flooding in our region. One or more slow moving and potentially backbuilding rounds of convection may develop in the vicinity of this boundary on Tuesday, with activity likely continuing deep into the night (another hallmark of the Maddox pattern just mentioned). With PWATs rising near to above 2", it`s hard to see there not being issues with flash flooding. Am not confident on which areas will have the best chance for activity, though if anything would probably favor the western half of the region at least during the daytime hours. With time, convective coverage may become fairly widespread. Cannot discount the severe risk Tuesday either. Weak shear should help limit the organization of storms. However, strong instability is likely to build, which should yield tall, slow moving storms with a threat for downbursts/wet microbursts and possibly some threat for hail in the tallest storms. Hot weather will continue on Tuesday as the weak frontal boundary does not have any sort of notable cooling behind it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

giphy.gif?cid=19f5b51adeb67708b886039adb

Defo on my bucket list.

Just another scorcher in my south central Texas neighborhood, its definitely a neighborly day for a scorcher lol.

We topped out at 102 again today. Dew is generally 71. The sun is pure unadulterated MURDER!

Forecast is all about something called persistence down here, pretty much wall to wall sunshine and hot right into next month lol. Probably right THROUGH next month, LOL.

In other news, persistence forecasting calls for a truly frigid, snowy winter up in Washington DC!

46 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

giphy.gif

Nah, I love your posts and stuff... just needling you on the tropics.  

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Nah, I love your posts and stuff... just needling you on the tropics.  

I know. I had the perfect gif that apparently refuses to load lol. 

This is really quiet for the tropics now. We might go through all of August without a named storm. Hard to believe Barry has been the only game in town so far. Great for coastal areas but I fear the shoe will drop at some point. Long range guidance really relaxes shear through the peak. 

• Like 2

Nice little pop up right over my house as the overall line kinda shrank. I received almost a half inch in about 15 minutes. Lots of lightning made it a really fun little storm and the rain was definitely welcome. 

2 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

I know. I had the perfect gif that apparently refuses to load lol. 

This is really quiet for the tropics now. We might go through all of August without a named storm. Hard to believe Barry has been the only game in town so far. Great for coastal areas but I fear the shoe will drop at some point. Long range guidance really relaxes shear through the peak. 

Be VERY, VERY careful what you wish for.

This could turn right into a downright EXPLOSIVE tropical season, and the I 95 Corridor is right in the Crosshairs, NOT the Gulf Coast this season.

A light shower dropped.04"  overnight. 

Currently 67/66. Headed to Federal hill in Baltimore to rewire an old row home.  Point and click says 96 for Inner Harbor today ...it'll be toasty 

1 hour ago, losetoa6 said:

A light shower dropped.04"  overnight. 

Currently 67/66. Headed to Federal hill in Baltimore to rewire an old row home.  Point and click says 96 for Inner Harbor today ...it'll be toasty 

I fell asleep with showers and lightening marching towards my doorstep. Literally raining in Silver Spring. I wake up with 0.0 in my rain gauge. What cruel world is this? :weep:

• Like 1

Topped out at 91.5 degrees here yesterday, 2nd warmest day of the year and first +90 since 7/21. Currently 66.0/64.8. Had about an hour of thunder between 4-5 pm, managed a huge 0.02 in gauge lol. 

Just got back from camping and went to pick the dogs up from the kennel. Just 3-4 miles north of my home got hammered with winds yesterday evening. Big limbs down everywhere and the one country road I took I was lucky to get through as the were multiple huge limbs down across the road where I had to drive on the shoulder to get around.

11 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Just got back from camping and went to pick the dogs up from the kennel. Just 3-4 miles north of my home got hammered with winds yesterday evening. Big limbs down everywhere and the one country road I took I was lucky to get through as the were multiple huge limbs down across the road where I had to drive on the shoulder to get around.

I saw that storm headed towards Hanover.  A heck of a light show to my north for a while 

My point and click has only a 20% chance of storms today so I'm expecting another active day. When it has 70% chance of storms I never get a drop. I scored a nice summer lightning storm late last evening where I picked up around a half inch in 15 minutes. 

Ended up with 0.98" of rain from the storm last evening.  Three large trees came down on my property, two across the street and another two doors down.  A trampoline that was anchored into the ground with a heavy 6' stake lifted off (bending the stake) and flew about 50' before bouncing off the hood of our truck and then wedging under a tree, keeping it from smashing into the side of the house.

trampolined.jpg.88925b03a79c11695c417a67ed793361.jpg

280859578_damage1.jpg.36ccf868a7524db62f4ce11f008a12f5.jpg

97567768_damage2.jpg.5f698da11d15b049e596c232b278f69d.jpg

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, WVclimo said:

Ended up with 0.98" of rain from the storm last evening.  Three large trees came down on my property, two across the street and another two doors down.  A trampoline that was anchored into the ground with a heavy 6' stake lifted off (bending the stake) and flew about 50' before bouncing off the hood of our truck and then wedging under a tree, keeping it from smashing into the side of the house.

trampolined.jpg.88925b03a79c11695c417a67ed793361.jpg

280859578_damage1.jpg.36ccf868a7524db62f4ce11f008a12f5.jpg

97567768_damage2.jpg.5f698da11d15b049e596c232b278f69d.jpg

UGH! Stuff can be fixed, but it is a bummer. Long as everyone is safe!!

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Got 0.16” last night. It’s something I guess

Southern Howard County has really missed out on a LOT in recent weeks.   I have lots of leaves down in my yard from stressed trees.

Not that I have too much confidence in the guidance in such a weakly-forced pattern, but the CAMs today have most of the storms affecting DC and points south.