Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
August Discobs 2019

George BM

1 hour ago, jewell2188 said:

Mid to late September is ideal for re-seading 

This time of year is fine to get started. Mid Sept is a bt late for here. I am in the woods. Need the grass to get established before the leaves come down. Too damn many to do all the removal with a blower, so I mow/mulch periodically until December. Grass needs to take it.

3 hours ago, C.A.P.E. said:

59 was the low here.

Perfect weekend to begin the scorched yard rebuild. A lot of tilling and raking yesterday. Put a batch of seed down this morning.

I did a lot of raking of dead spots yesterday. Probably going to aerate and seed in the next 2 weeks.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, WxUSAF said:

I did a lot of raking of dead spots yesterday. Probably going to aerate and seed in the next 2 weeks.

I decided to rent a tiller. My soil is mostly sand and silt, and has gotten very compacted over the years. It drains excessively well and the combo of full sun on one side of the yard and competition from all the trees makes it very difficult for grass to survive the brutal mid-late summer period. Hopefully I can get this new grass to establish well over the next couple months and develop deeper roots for next Spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Last Sept I recall you did the same, I was faked out by the warm weather in Sept and put it off and come later October it turned colder on a dime. 

I am not making the same mistake this year, will over seed in mid Sept regardless of the weather.  Purhcased timers and good sprinklers. Will rent a aerator then.   

How did last years's over-seed and bare spot repair work for you.  I recall we did have rain in the Fall . 

15 minutes ago, frd said:

Last Sept I recall you did the same, I was faked out by the warm weather in Sept and put it off and come later October it turned colder on a dime. 

I am not making the same mistake this year, will over seed in mid Sept regardless of the weather.  Purhcased timers and good sprinklers. Will rent a aerator then.   

How did last years's over-seed and bare spot repair work for you.  I recall we did have rain in the Fall . 

When I put seed down I prefer it to not rain too much. I can control the amount of water and not worry about a tropical deluge redistributing the seed before it germinates. Nice thing about using a tiller- plenty of loose soil to rake in the seed. I still topped it off with some straw. I am about 2/3 done with my repair for now. I do it in stages. Depending on how this works out, I may overseed the shady areas in early spring. I can draw a line down the middle of my back yard lol. Full sun on one side, grass always burns to hell, then transitioning to low sun/shade on the other where moss predominates.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, frd said:

Worked really well. This spring my lawn was great. Too hot and dry combined with a too short mow by neighbor kids while on vacation made it in rough shape now.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, WxUSAF said:

Worked really well. This spring my lawn was great. Too hot and dry combined with a too short mow by neighbor kids while on vacation made it in rough shape now.

I am glad that worked well for you.  I need to cut the grass short, rake to remove the thatch and then will rent the machine in mid Sept. No later .

I stopped using week control about 6 weeks ago in anticipation of over seeding. I cut back on nitrogen too because my soil test showed I was go and I think too much  nitrogen might have been the issue to a degree with my grass fungus.

3 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Was really pleasant walking from L'Enfant to work; with the slight wind in my face, it had a little bit of a chill. Was even nicer walking to the train from home.

While we'll absolutely roast a time or three again, this is really the beginning of the step down from summer.

Thought earlier in the spring/early summer that we had a good shot of a toasty end of summer into fall. From what I have been seeing lately though I am beginning to have some serious doubts. Would be no complaints on my end, I hate the heat.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, showmethesnow said:

Thought earlier in the spring/early summer that we had a good shot of a toasty end of summer into fall. From what I have been seeing lately though I am beginning to have some serious doubts. Would be no complaints on my end, I hate the heat.

I'm also not sold on fall being generally warmer than normal, but we all know that we will roast for at least a few days sometime in September or October...or both. It always happens.

It's not like I'm going out on a limb by saying this at the end of August, but I just think that this cool shot is showing us the arse-end of general heat at this point, with a general step-down process to the cooler months now in progress.

• Like 1

Rain went poof......  incredibly dry here, now many more days in a row without rain and then the heat arrives , typical Sept garbage , was more pleasent and better soil moisture in July LOL 

Will not even be able to over seed with the machine until it either rains a good amount, or I water to soften the ground.  Can't win.    

The continuous extreme interval rainfall has stopped. Wonder if things pick back up as we near October.   

From Don S.   he always has great info - from the NYC forum 

<<

The AO has averaged -1.062 for August. Since 1950, there have been five prior cases when the AO averaged -0.500 or below in both July and August: 1950, 1958, 1960, 1968, and 2015. The average temperature for September was 69.1° (69.8° after adjusting for ongoing warming) and 58.9° (59.6° adjusted) for September through November in New York City. The 1981-2010 baseline normal figures are 68.0° and 57.5° respectively. The majority of cases saw a warmer than normal September and all cases featured a warmer than normal fall. Therefore, a warmer than normal September and fall appear likely. The potential for autumn 2019 to rank among the 30 warmest cases on record is on the table.

>>

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic