Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    15,515
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    chrislittlenews
    Newest Member
    chrislittlenews
    Joined
bluewave

August 2019 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Recommended Posts

On 8/14/2019 at 5:23 PM, Snow88 said:

The last 2 days have been miserable in Wildwood and now back home.

 

Power just flickered here at my house 

We never got the big storms here, and for two days I skipped fishing trips waiting for the bad weather, which never came. Unfortunately we have an easterly flow now, not good for boating and fishing, at least in the ocean. Meh, fishing has sucked anyway, but we were hoping for some porgies to show up. They haven't. Can feel the humidity starting to build up again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, weatherpruf said:

Not looking forward to that, but I will be in Va beach ( family likes the place; not me ) where I'm sure it will be hotter.

Record breaking 500 mb ridge and jet streak near Alaska pumping the WAR.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1162384333832769537

The 500 mb height of 5980 m at Cold Bay, Alaska, is a station record and one of the highest values ever recorded in Alaska

DC6FF0B5-6DB7-41B8-88A9-606D3D9B0D60.thumb.png.363635b457b8de59c292125287c1165e.png

BDFBC569-A03E-4814-83DB-B7F382E8B30F.thumb.png.f8a11b9cf6593e8fa4d2f76a18ed3456.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bluewave said:

Record breaking 500 mb ridge and jet streak near Alaska pumping the WAR.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Climatologist49/status/1162384333832769537

The 500 mb height of 5980 m at Cold Bay, Alaska, is a station record and one of the highest values ever recorded in Alaska

DC6FF0B5-6DB7-41B8-88A9-606D3D9B0D60.thumb.png.363635b457b8de59c292125287c1165e.png

BDFBC569-A03E-4814-83DB-B7F382E8B30F.thumb.png.f8a11b9cf6593e8fa4d2f76a18ed3456.png

It would be really nice to get some record breaking heights over British Columbia in, say, mid-January. :rolleyes: 

The Pac jet slowing down would be a welcome change as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

It would be really nice to get some record breaking heights over British Columbia in, say, mid-January. :rolleyes: 

The Pac jet slowing down would be a welcome change as well.

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Gravity Wave said:

It would be really nice to get some record breaking heights over British Columbia in, say, mid-January. :rolleyes: 

The Pac jet slowing down would be a welcome change as well.

I’m with you, it certainly would be nice. Sadly I can also see myself wish-casting the warning area north of the Delmarva. As always ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

 

40 degree rainstorms. We will probably wind up having one of the most active winters in years and it will be more wet then white. :facepalm:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

40 degree rainstorms. We will probably wind up having one of the most active winters in years and it will be more wet then white. :facepalm:

Yep. We would need stout blocking in place to overcome that firehose. With the lack of any prolonged -NAO regime in recent winters, I'm not holding my breath. Edit... This is purely fantasy talk of course. Winter is still 4 months away!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

40 degree rainstorms. We will probably wind up having one of the most active winters in years and it will be more wet then white. :facepalm:

Bro we can’t even predict 48 hours away what makes you think that’s even possible to get anything right

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

Yep. We would need stout blocking in place to overcome that firehose. With the lack of any prolonged -NAO regime in recent winters, I'm not holding my breath. Edit... This is purely fantasy talk of course. Winter is still 4 months away!!!

stout blocking with a firehose is how we got 60" in a month in 2010/11

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The next 7 days have popped to an average of 82degs., or 8degs.  AN.

GFS has 13 90-degree days incoming, including two 100's.     When are we going to 'stick' the Weather Police on this model?

More realistic:

2019081600_054@007_E1_knyc_I_NAEFS@EPSGR

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

Looking ahead Warm to hot and wet should continue the theme with only storms and clouds hindering heat Sun (8/18) - Fri (8/23) before a brief cooldown next weekend (8/24-25)

Models then rebuild heights and heat on/around  8/27 into Labor Day weekend.

 

test8.gif

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Month  has not been bad at all so far concerning heat...No 90° readings here yet and my station  is running a negative temp departure  thru today.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, doncat said:

Month  has not been bad at all so far concerning heat...No 90° readings here yet and my station  is running a negative temp departure  thru today.

Will change next week

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, NYCweatherNOW said:

Bro we can’t even predict 48 hours away what makes you think that’s even possible to get anything right

Calm down it was meant as a joke. Relax.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Gravity Wave said:

This looks bad but I'd need to know what the anomaly map for last winter looked like. 

Pray for major blocking to keep the storms south of us, or there will be endless cutters like last winter. Big Pacific Jet is all I need to know. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Next 8 days holding at an average of 79degs., or 5degs. AN.

Month to date is  +0.1[76.0].      Should be +1.7[77.0] by the 25th.

Check out both control members near the 28th-29th period, while GFS merrily has  80's+ forecast anyway:

2019081700_054@007_E1_knyc_I_NAEFS@EPSGR

btw:   If you want to know what the latest Euro Weeklies are showing, light a candle and sit on it----you will get the idea.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The first few weeks of August are another example of less warm is the new cool. All our major stations are in the 0 to +1 range before the heat and humidity returns this week. This is why it’s so tough to see a below normal temperature departure anymore during the warm season.

EWR...+0.3

NYC....+0.1

LGA....+1.1

JFK.....+0.4

ISP.....+0.9

BDR...+0.9

HPN....+0.9

1FAFB15D-B932-47D5-8388-B94E01DF0FE9.thumb.png.76f9c3c081d4a206f8fc4d8fa8a9140c.png

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sooner or later NYC should hit 90 in August even with the vegetation near the sensor...last time it did not hit 90 was back in 1986, 1982 and 1963...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, jm1220 said:

Pray for major blocking to keep the storms south of us, or there will be endless cutters like last winter. Big Pacific Jet is all I need to know. 

Cross country sledding via Pennsylvania Avenue? As always..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Outside chance but not totally out of the realm of possibility (we should see less clouds than recent days)

Record highs

Mon 8/19;

EWR: 96 (2002)
LGA: 94 (2002)
NYC: 94 (2002) -- unliely
ISP: 91 (2002)
JFK: 90 (2009)


TTN: 95 (2002)
PHL: 94 (2002)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The high dewpoints are back. Looks like the 20th day this year at JFK with a 75 degree or higher dewpoint. This is the now the  3rd highest number of days on record. Just an amazing record breaking high dewpoint surge since 2016.

Kennedy Intl   PTSUNNY   79  75  87 NE6       30.03S

1195E06D-D50C-4C08-887D-E7D7B52F3F9D.thumb.jpeg.86451a012b7426750bf095c86058ff99.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, bluewave said:

The high dewpoints are back. Looks like the 20th day this year at JFK with a 75 degree or higher dewpoint. This is the now the  3rd highest number of days on record. Just an amazing record breaking high dewpoint surge since 2016.

Kennedy Intl   PTSUNNY   79  75  87 NE6       30.03S

Can probably add Sun-Wed to that, possibly Thu if the front slows at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

81/76/87 with some breaks of sun now.

Edit: 82/78/90 with a little sun shower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×